Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Default Constant Licking

Hey just had a general question. Does anyone elses bulldog constantly lick? either his/her paws/legs or blankets around the house? Our dog has been doing it more and more and i was looking for advice on things i could use to help make her stop licking. not sure if shes licking because she thinks her skin is dry but its not and she also licks the blankets on the couch. i notice it more and more mainly after shes done drinking water, she feel the need to lick herself all over. anyone else experience this or know of any at home remedies that i could apply to her skin to help her to stop?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Constant Licking

Quote Originally Posted by AWD GS View Post
    Hey just had a general question. Does anyone elses bulldog constantly lick? either his/her paws/legs or blankets around the house? Our dog has been doing it more and more and i was looking for advice on things i could use to help make her stop licking. not sure if shes licking because she thinks her skin is dry but its not and she also licks the blankets on the couch. i notice it more and more mainly after shes done drinking water, she feel the need to lick herself all over. anyone else experience this or know of any at home remedies that i could apply to her skin to help her to stop?
    I did experience this with Tyson when he had bad allergies. He would lick his paws non-stop. Once we switched his food, he no longer did as much. He will still however, lick our bed (its an upholstered bed - he'll run his face down the side, then lick it) -- but not for long, just a few seconds. Also, with the blanket - is she licking it or sucking? Bullies love to suck on things, so this part could be perfectly normal. They will suck on toys or blankets, or their beds. With the paws, if its not allergies - you could try bitter apple.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

3. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I did experience this with Tyson when he had bad allergies. He would lick his paws non-stop. Once we switched his food, he no longer did as much. He will still however, lick our bed (its an upholstered bed - he'll run his face down the side, then lick it) -- but not for long, just a few seconds. Also, with the blanket - is she licking it or sucking? Bullies love to suck on things, so this part could be perfectly normal. They will suck on toys or blankets, or their beds. With the paws, if its not allergies - you could try bitter apple.
    just constant licking, no sucking. i dont want to try changing her food as she gets food for sensitive skin and stomach....now that i typed that, that could have something to do with it.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

just constant licking, no sucking. i dont want to try changing her food as she gets food for sensitive skin and stomach....now that i typed that, that could have something to do with it.

What are you feeding her?

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

How old is Stella and what are you feeding?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

nutro natural choice for sensitive skin and stomach. shes 4, 5 in july

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi mike, I agree with Jessica, excessive licking is a sign of allergies and is usually food related. Dogs lick their paws because they are itchy. It is very common for EB's to be allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. My guys are allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and grains. We are currently feeding them Fromms Lamb and Lentil with good results, but when they were on chicken, Blossom showed the most allergy symptoms, She had pink skin, pink warm ears, chin acne, goopy eyes, and she licked her paws excessively. Dozer reacts more to Beef, he was a mess, he had hives, goopy runny eyes and he licked his paws so bad that they were always wet and soggy and they actually changed to a reddish colour, and he shed like crazy. Once we switched the food all the symptoms stopped.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

nutro natural choice for sensitive skin and stomach. shes 4, 5 in july
    OK -- probably allergies of some type... Nutro isn't horrible, but not great either. Look for a food that is high quality and grain free, and you might want to avoid chicken too. It can also be environmental.... give her Benedyl tablets up to 3x a day 1mg per pound.

Food ... a few that are used by members with good results are Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Earthborn,
    e.

Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

thanks everyone! i just bought her new food over the weekend but i'll see if i can find a small bag of the food mentioned above and try to give that to her and see how she acts

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

thanks everyone! i just bought her new food over the weekend but i'll see if i can find a small bag of the food mentioned above and try to give that to her and see how she acts
    remember any food change should be done slowly over 10-14 days and then give each about a month to see results. Some will kick in quicker, but know it can take about a month to see any real results/changes
    e.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)

I switched taco to Fromms, pork and peas. I'm glad you asked this question. He will prop up his paws I the walls and bed and lick. I will try another flavor.

Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

yea it didnt dawn on me that the food could be part of the issue. i just went with the same food the previous owner was given her and i didnt want to switch her up if she liked it but if it may be the cause of the licking, i'll try another brand as well and slowly ween her off the old food

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads