Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Constant Licking

Quote Originally Posted by AWD GS View Post
    yea it didnt dawn on me that the food could be part of the issue. i just went with the same food the previous owner was given her and i didnt want to switch her up if she liked it but if it may be the cause of the licking, i'll try another brand as well and slowly ween her off the old food
    My girl was a yeasty mess and i had her on Fromm Beef Friatta, switched to Pork and Peas and it all stopped--- it is a long road at times.... Banks was 5 or 6 when i finally got the right kibble
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Luke
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Interesting. We had some of the same issues with Duchess. She went through a big allergy phase -- she currently eats Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Limited Ingredient. It literally only has rabbit, peas, and tapioca. That seemed to cure all her allergy issues. Or so we have thought. She does get the occasional goopy eye or pink color, but nothing like before we switched (and also battled a case of mites).

But, she has always been a licker. She only really licks her paws after we go out and they get wet. She feels the need to clean them. But she licks everything else. Arms. Legs. Pillows. Blanked. Chair arms. Rugs. Never considered this behavior to be part of allergies... should we?

The wife looked it up and she found info saying it could be a form of Doggie OCD or comfort measures. Love to hear any other theories.

We tried apple bitters. But I swear she started to like the taste. They did seem to work for a little while though. Right now we just try and distract her best we can with activity or toy.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oldbaystyle View Post
    Interesting. We had some of the same issues with Duchess. She went through a big allergy phase -- she currently eats Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Limited Ingredient. It literally only has rabbit, peas, and tapioca. That seemed to cure all her allergy issues. Or so we have thought. She does get the occasional goopy eye or pink color, but nothing like before we switched (and also battled a case of mites).

But, she has always been a licker. She only really licks her paws after we go out and they get wet. She feels the need to clean them. But she licks everything else. Arms. Legs. Pillows. Blanked. Chair arms. Rugs. Never considered this behavior to be part of allergies... should we?

The wife looked it up and she found info saying it could be a form of Doggie OCD or comfort measures. Love to hear any other theories.

We tried apple bitters. But I swear she started to like the taste. They did seem to work for a little while though. Right now we just try and distract her best we can with activity or toy.
    yea Stella will lick anything and everything. If you have lotion on your legs, forget it, shes on it. get out of the shower? let me try to lick your legs before you dry off.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads