Thread: info on pet insurance

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: info on pet insurance

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    I sent in my first claim for just under $1800!!! I have heard nothing back but it has only just been a week ... so I will keep you posted on just how good they are at paying out when I find out myself!
    How did you send your claim in? Did you fax it or email it or did you send it to them through the mail? Sending it through the mail is the slowest way. I always fax mine in and within a couple days it usually shows on my account that they are processing it. Check usually arrives within 2 weeks.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Looks like I'll be looking into Trupanion. When we got Chunk I took him straight to the vet and signed up for VPI within the first few days. He got a clean bill of health from the vet, just noticed entropion. I have submitted $1000 worth of bills over about 4 months and got denied all of the claims saying it was a pre-existing condition!!! He had an ear infection and a few skin infections. This is ridiculous. I'm planning on calling them on Friday and if they won't cover ANYTHING (they should at least cover the well visits or medication!), then I'm cancelling.

Does anyone know about the pre-existing conditions being a problem with Trupanion?
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Chunksmama Heredity and congenital problems are considered pre-existing with Trupanion if the symptoms were present prior to the coverage, otherwise they are covered.

I also like that the premiums will nor increase due to age... I have a friend going through VPI who had to drop his insurance because the cost became outrages for his old Shih Tzu

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Chunksmama - That's too bad that they didn't accept your claims. Did they decline because you're not the original owner?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

@Chunksmama That is ridiculous because if the vets records for the full health check did not show any signs of entropian than it can not be considered an existing condition when you took the policy out.

Unfortunately, Trupanion will now consider the entropian an existing condition because it was present when the policy was taken out. We are still waiting for the outcome of our claim from Trupanion - our vet keeps sending them incorrect records but we are hoping that this final time our vets have now sent the records they want to see.

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

They are considering it all "pre-existing" based on his original check-up. She did mention the entropion so I understand that (they apparently NEVER cover entropion, so I was told by one agent but I will be calling again to see if I can confirm that) but the skin and ear infections?! If he didn't have them at the original visit, how can it be pre-existing?! They are nuts - I'll keep you all updated after I call them Friday. It's a waste of money I'd they aren't going to cover everything. Although, I guess in a cause of accident/trauma it would be worth it. Hmph.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I would agree that the skin and ear infections can't be pre-existing .... some insurance companies just want to have the money and never pay out!!

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

You are right @kazzy220. Looks like the pet insurance is as bad as people health insurance! I loathe insurance companies!

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Well we are still waiting for the outcome of our claim to Trupanion. Trupanion blames our vet for not sending the correct information, and our vet says that Trupanion asks for one thing, says it's not the right thing so asks for another. Apparently, that is not what they wanted and so have asked for a third set of records that were sent to them yesterday (Monday)!

The aggravating thing about it all is that you have to send in the full medical records when you make your first claim .. it's necessary and so I got a full print out of all the records and sent it in. So what else could the insurance company be possibly looking for. My husband is convinced that they are looking for a way to deny the claim!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@kazzy220 - I agree, they're trying to find a way to get out of it. My insurance company did that and wanted every single vet record, including the one from the breeder. I sent them a vaccination record and told them that Stig only saw the vet for his first shots while he was in her care. It took them a month to go through everything. Hopefully yours will go through ok.

I signed Optimus up with VPI and after all of his puppy shots, deworming, etc., etc... Faxed in every visit receipt and they hardly ever give you anything back. Had a $260 bill last month and all they sent back was $15. They really don't cover much. Wouldn't recommend.

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

It took about 2 weeks and I was approved for Belly's claim when she had an allergic reaction to her puppy shots. I actually called trupanion first to see if it was something they would even cover. The lady was very sweet on the phone and sounded genuinely concerned for my little rugrat. Said to definitely send it in. I had the vet fax her records in and the emergency clinic send in their part. I'm sorry others are getting such a runaround! We'll see how it goes if we ever unfortunately need it for something really big.
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads