Eyes

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
remember that you use a lot less food with this brand..
a 65 lb adult does not need more than 1/2 cup twice a day to maintain a nice body weight. and pup under a year can do nicely on 3/4 cup twice a day. SO IT IS CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN. my 72 lber gets 2 heaping 1/2 cups a day. the salmon and veggies is a good chouice for dogs with suspected meat allergies because it is a unusual protein, they will always eat more but do not need it , you will pick it up in the yard.

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Again everyone thanks for the advice!! I have ordered the 4 Star Fromm Surf and Turf since its formulated for any life stage and I've read alot of you already use it with good results. I put it on autoship however I can change that if i need to switch the food. I was considering the change before his eye irritation because of the tear stains. The good thing with this Fromm is my beagle can have it too and I don't have to keep buying 2 different kinds. My beagle is currently on Iams Mature. I may keep him on that but i want to see if he likes this new kind but again there isn't anything wrong with him and it would only be out of convenience. we'll see.

As for his eye, I am planning on calling Bear's vet tomorrow and go from there. He is so pitiful looking, i had to resort to using a cone on his head I had from when my beagle had surgery years ago so he doesn't keep pawing at his eye. Poor thing hates it and keeps running into stuff, lol.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
They do make a soft sided cone. It is made of neoprene and I know Petco sells it, I am not sure of the other major stores.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Let us know how poor Bear is doing??!!

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Just got back from the vet...

Bear has a tear on his cornea. They did the dye test and she showed me with a blacklight. It isn't a scratch she said this happened from him running into something. My husband remembers he may have poked him in the eye the other day by accident but we just don't know. He is on pain meds, antibiotics, and a solution to dilate his pupils.

Now I am sure many of you have a piggy run bull dog that tends to run into something, furniture, cabinets, walls, lol. So this is what happens, yikes!!

Bear is 7 months 13 days and weighs 32 lbs. The vet says he is very muscular and lean but I might consider feeding him more. I currently feed him 1 Cup 2x a day. She said increase by 1/2 Cup at least until he is one that he needs 1,800 calories per day. Of course I feel horrible about this but honestly I was so afraid of him getting overweight and having more health problems, I thought I was doing the right thing. I'll just feed him more and monitor him so he doesn't get too heavy. I told her I was changing him to Fromm grain free and she said he will definitely be ok to eat more because he won't gain as much on that. Is the vet right? I'd like to defer to all of you because some of you have grown EBs...

His follow up is Monday. The vet said I brought him in quickly so he may not need to see an opthamologist. She commended me on my use of eye antibiotic at home and the saline to keep it moist and said she trusts i will care for him properly and that he should get better and not need to go to the eye dr. I said yep he was an expensive dog, protecting my investment....:cool:

I love my bear bear :heart::heart::heart::bully:

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Just got back from the vet...

Bear has a tear on his cornea. They did the dye test and she showed me with a blacklight. It isn't a scratch she said this happened from him running into something. My husband remembers he may have poked him in the eye the other day by accident but we just don't know. He is on pain meds, antibiotics, and a solution to dilate his pupils.

Now I am sure many of you have a piggy run bull dog that tends to run into something, furniture, cabinets, walls, lol. So this is what happens, yikes!!

Bear is 7 months 13 days and weighs 32 lbs. The vet says he is very muscular and lean but I might consider feeding him more. I currently feed him 1 Cup 2x a day. She said increase by 1/2 Cup at least until he is one that he needs 1,800 calories per day. Of course I feel horrible about this but honestly I was so afraid of him getting overweight and having more health problems, I thought I was doing the right thing. I'll just feed him more and monitor him so he doesn't get too heavy. I told her I was changing him to Fromm grain free and she said he will definitely be ok to eat more because he won't gain as much on that. Is the vet right? I'd like to defer to all of you because some of you have grown EBs...

His follow up is Monday. The vet said I brought him in quickly so he may not need to see an opthamologist. She commended me on my use of eye antibiotic at home and the saline to keep it moist and said she trusts i will care for him properly and that he should get better and not need to go to the eye dr. I said yep he was an expensive dog, protecting my investment....:cool:

I love my bear bear :heart::heart::heart::bully:

Ahhh poor guy!!! Glad you acted fast! That could totally happen to Samson, he runs into stuff like its nothing! I definitely think it would be safe to up it to 1 1/2 cups twice a day even on the Fromm because he is young and growing, and now needing to gain a little. I feed Samson 1 cup twice of the Fromm and he is at a perfect weight. I understand your concern for weight gain though, I worry about it too because of the potential hip issues and Samson broke his leg when he was young that needed surgery. The orthopedic surgeon that performed the surgery told me he would have some form of arthritis because of it no matter what and I know extra weight would just make it worse plus for any bully the extra weight is bad for their hips and they are already prone to hip problems anyway!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am so glad you got him in right away, he will probably be better very quickly I hope. :heart: :heart: Sweet little Bear.

Yes, at puppy hood I give 3 cups total a day, plus snacks. I am starting to decrease a little since they are going on 8 months.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Though I haven't commented yet, I have been follow Bear's eye saga and I am glad you got a diagnosis and he's on the road to recovery.

With respect to his size, I would like to comment that I share your concerns about weight, given Truman had hip surgery at 4 months of age. It does sound like Bear needs to put on some weight though. Truman basically lost nearly two weeks of development because he didn't have use of his leg and he's not a very large bulldog (well compared to my 79 pound Linus) but he's 5 months, 1 week and weighs 30 pounds. Also remember (as my vet reminded me), that eating well will make his bones grow big and strong so it's important he gets enough nutrients!

Please keep us updated on little Bear!

Members online