Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Rocks??

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Dee J's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
    Likes (Received)

Question Eating Rocks??

Now that Brutus is out of his cast, and with out stiches he has started back to using the doggy door, which I love.... except one thing. He likes eating rocks. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm so scared of him actually eating one that I won't even let him go outside by himself, and he LOVES to go out w/ Marlee to wrestle around and chase bugs. Any idea for fixes/cures are more then welcome.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Eating Rocks??

No help. My in laws pup did this for a period but I am not sure what they did about it. Maybe try spraying bitter apple in the area where they are?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
    Likes (Received)

Gunny loves rocks and well anything outdoor. We just repeatedly tell him no and remove whatever he may have in his mouth. Best of luck.
    I am a master at planking......

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Anytime he puts anything in his mouth other then things that are his (food, toys) we always tell him no, as we are still trying to teach Brutus that he can only chew/eat what is his. Apparently he still believes everything is his! Such a bully! We have a big stone patio, and cemented in between each large stone, so now the cement is starting to break into little rocks. We wanted to re-do the area this weekend, but it looks like rain will be delaying us. Good to know Brutus isn't the only rock lover!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We have pea gravel in our yard and sometimes they eat it but that doesn't concern me as much as the two larger sized rocks that Pookie Bear threw up this morning! So weird that you posted this cuz it is the first time it has ever happened! They were certainly big enough to cause a blockage, about 1" in diameter!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

My Dozer also eats rocks, this summer we had some work men doing concrete work in our complex, they used a pile of gravel rocks for filling in under the concrete. After they left, there was some loose rocks left behind. Dozer ate a rock, when I called my vet who also has a Bulldog that she brings to work with her everyday, she told me Bulldogs are known for this. She had done surgery on a bully and removed a handful of rocks from his belly. She told me I had to keep him on a leash, and muzzle him if I he kept it up. I keep him on a leash when we go for walks, because he doesn't always listen to come back off leash, and we live near a busy road. I don't want to muzzle him, but I let him off leash around the house, but he's is never outside alone. I've looked around and removed any loose rocks, sticks etc, and if he puts anything in his mouth, I remove it right away. Just last night, when we went for our walk, he picked up two pinecones, and tried to eat them, I removed them from his mouth, but its constant, he will try to eat anything he can find. All you can do is supervise him, remove anything around his environment that he could swallow, and don't leave him alone outside, and remove stuff from his mouth when you see him eating it. Good luck I feel for you, as I have the same Issues with my Dozer. I'm always saying Off, or drop it, I'm lucky he lets me in his mouth to take objects out and doesn't bite me. I've had to do this many times

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

We try to not let him go out the doggy door w/ out us, but he is a sneeky little boy! Plus, the girls use the doors non stop, Marlee goes in and out trying to make Brutus come play which he has no problem with. So far anytime he has had a rock/grass/dirt I've gotten it out of his mouth. Those little puppy teeth are sharp though

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Dozer doesn't bite when I put my hand in his mouth. I put his head down , open his mouth from the side, and place my fingers in his mouth, and pull out the object.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

He doesn't bite, I just tend to be clumsy feeling all around in his mouth and cheeks trying to make sure I get anything that might be in there & then hitting those baby teeth

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Izzy has been eating rocks too... when I notice her chewing on something when we are outside I am usually sticking my fingers inside her mouth and removing whatever item she decided to chew on.... she is 15 weeks now and this started couple of weeks ago.

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

They are little Hoovers and will eat anything, so a watchful eye is always needed, plus with the doggie door, you have you hands full. I do not recommend a doggie door with bullies especially in hot climates as they can go outside without you knowing and die of heat stroke.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Our Brutus doesnt like rocks but loves shoes, sneakers, pillowss, couches stuff like that LOL I would try to keep an eye on him and just keep telling him no and hoepfully he will learn....Our Brutus didnt though LOL
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads