I had written a detailed post last night, but I was so tired, I re-hit "Reply to Thread" and lost it.... so here's what I said in a nutshell LOL
The one thing that has been absolutely successful....letting the vet do it! Plus he does it for free with an exam (and he does all the nails in literally 1 minute, when it takes me 2 weeks for the whole process).
Some other things I try/tried myself that you may try:
Herman loves to lay in the sun (even on the hottest days) so when he plops down and refuses to move, I trim his nails then. I can at least get a few done like that because he's immobile. When he does this he lets me do just about anything to him. Not sure if that will work for Tonka or not.
I have a Dremmel - he was interested in it for a while, but now runs from it. I have a Peticure - that thing is loud and seems dangerous and it scares both of us. So like you, I feel the clippers are best, but I think the trick is to have really good ones. I'm not sure what the best brand for sharp clippers is for this is but I know that will make the process go faster. I'm still hunting for that perfect pair.
I have tried giving him an opened bag of treats, but the bag is closed enough he has to concentrate to get the treats. But he gets too worried about what I'm doing with his feet.
I have tried tying his leash to a door knob to at least keep in one location and not running away, but he just about strangled himself trying to get away.
I have tried having his daddy hold and cuddle him, but that ended up with BOTH of them yelling and screaming at me. "You're hurting him! Stop it!"
I have tried walking him on cement regularly.... no surprise, he's lazy and doesn't want to walk more than 5 feet. I really think this method will work, eventually.
I not NOT tried that scratching board technique (where they scratch their nails on sandpaper) - he'll probably just snatch the sandpaper and run under the sofa to eat it the sandpaper.
I DO think that having a grooming table will help as he will feel less secure about running away. But I dont have anywhere to put it. So maybe putting Tonka on a table might help? I did put Herman on a footstool when he was smaller and he let me clean his ears, etc. because he was scared. LOL
Maybe there are some tidbits or a combo of tidbits here that may help you and Tonka LOL