Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staining

Real Name
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Staining

Well raw is the way to go I hear and several here swear by it so good luck and let us know how it goes

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Staining

I have a bichon frise who went through tear staining so I have researched this thing far and wide before.

Tear Stains are caused by excessive tearing which becomes a breeding ground for yeast and bacteria which shows itself as stains. So, your first concern is why your dog is producing excessive tears. As far as I know, heat cycles don't cause excessive tears. Allergies can - but if your dog has been on Orijen for a long time, it is highly unlikely that the excessive tearing is caused by a food allergy.

Another cause for excessive tears is if the dog is teething. I'm not sure how old your dog is - but if she's on her first heat cycle, then chances are she's also cutting teeth. This stage of teething causes the jaws to bite differently which changes the skeletal structure putting pressure on the tear ducts.

And then there is the Ear Infection that could also cause it and there's blocked tear ducts.

And one more thing - this can be caused by minerals in the water as well. Minerals in the water also cause the area around the mouth to stain even if the dog doesn't show tear stains.

So, what to do - first if your dog is drinking city water, try changing to filtered water or bottled water. If your dog is teething, you really have not much choice but to wait it out - just wipe her face a lot and apply cornstarch to keep it dry or you can use Angel Eyes (controversial - I used this for my bichon when he was teething. Definitely not something you use if your problem is not a temporary case like cutting teeth). Rule out ear infections and block tear ducts by vet check. Rule out environmental allergies.

And one thing is for certain - high protein doesn't cause allergies and doesn't cause excessive tears. What's high protein to a carnivore? A carnivore processes protiens a lot differently than omnivores so that omnivores cannot efficiently process high protein and therefore would give excess work for their kidneys. A dog, though, is genetically a carnivore even if we have made them into omnivores in the pet trade. What is harmful to a carnivore is excess carbhohydrates because they don't have the enzymes to break down carbs - all carbs have to be broken down by their pancreas which is not designed to process a lot of it. So that, a dog food with low protein content would almost always have higher carbs content. If your dog has a low activity level and is getting overweight, don't exchange proteins for carbs, feed him less instead.
    Last edited by anatess; 11-07-2011 at 11:34 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads