Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frequently Asked Dog Food Questions

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Frequently Asked Dog Food Questions

thank you. Merrimack is closer, still a drive but worth it if the vet has knowledge in Tonka's breed. I'm going to give a call on Monday. I left his last visit not comfortable at all and not feeling like he was really looked at. The woman came in very skittish and Tonka played his bully role on her, she wanted to muzzle him and I said no way....

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obadiah & Wilhelmina
    Likes (Received)

The more I read the more confused I am getting! INFORMATION OVERLOAD!

MY big question is... I am bringing a brother and sister home to raise and currently they have them on "Royal Canin" puppy food for Bulldogs. OK so I "Thought" that was a good food in the beginning, but NOW finding out it is not.

Then started on my journey of looking at other options when I bring them home in June. READING AND READING AND READING
    Kibble vs Raw vs Wet???

Can you do Kibble with some Raw?

I was really set on using the Taste of the Wild brand but now I am even second guessing that!

I just don't over spend on food, but not spend enough. I don't want to sound cheap either.

Are their other tips and tricks that we can use with kibble. I read some give a little yogurt once in a while, some apple cider vinegar in their water, and some other things that have me thinking I could try to add to their benefit and well being.

3. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by agentpapp View Post
    The more I read the more confused I am getting! INFORMATION OVERLOAD!

MY big question is... I am bringing a brother and sister home to raise and currently they have them on "Royal Canin" puppy food for Bulldogs. OK so I "Thought" that was a good food in the beginning, but NOW finding out it is not.

Then started on my journey of looking at other options when I bring them home in June. READING AND READING AND READING
    Kibble vs Raw vs Wet???

Can you do Kibble with some Raw?

I was really set on using the Taste of the Wild brand but now I am even second guessing that!

I just don't over spend on food, but not spend enough. I don't want to sound cheap either.

Are their other tips and tricks that we can use with kibble. I read some give a little yogurt once in a while, some apple cider vinegar in their water, and some other things that have me thinking I could try to add to their benefit and well being.
    Welcome!!

Definitely you can do kibbles with raw. But you still need a quality grain free kibble like Acana... Herea post from yesterday

I always suggest Acana single protein bags. Start with Duck as it’s easier to digest. Acana has one of the highest “meat “ protein n barely uses legumes as another source of protein with is not meat. Their %of legumes is only 3-6% Most companies will have a lot of legumes or peas which is more as a filler n they get away with indicating on the front bag high protein. Absolutely read the ingredients in the back n not the front.since Bubba is a pup, to avoid allergies, you must rotate protein after each bag. So after Duck, you can take fish or pork or lamb.... the more different protein a puppy eats the less allergies you’ll deal with. We’ve all been there. Same time you can monitor IF Bubba develops an allergy towards a protein. Much easier when you buy one protein bag. My dogs eat raw. If you want to eliminate the risk of future allergies, licking paws, yeasty ears, raw is the way to go. A lot of members will testify to that. That being said, you can stay with Acana but a healthy gut n immune system, simply add organs as a topper on the meals. Go to your grocery store, pick up example, beef liver n beef heart. Can be chicken organs too as both my dogs as pups were introduced to chicken as pups n to this day never has chicken issues. Yes feed chicken as pups. So chop up in small pieces. I use to freeze them in little ziploc bags. Like that it’s always on hand. Add about 1/4cup as topper. Just a raw topper is “almost” as good as a raw diet. For treats a lot of us uses, natural fruits n veggies. Raw also is top for a natural probiotic. All dogs need probiotics as they all need to have a good gut flora for a stronger immune system. I don’t personally don’t use vitamins as raw has everything a dog needs. I only it as “food wise”. Read the link I’ve attached and you will be well guided.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-approach.html

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

to the forum! Many Bulldog pawrents here recommend Fromm puppy. Others recommend raw feeding,which is done by some, who could help you with that. I feed Taste of the Wild Pacific.(grain free) I have 5 dogs,and that is the best food I can afford. I have used it for 8 years, and so far, my dogs have been very healthy.
    I also give them one or two tablespoons of plain yogurt every night before bed. Sardines once a week. Hill's foods, and Science Diet, Royal Canin-those foods are crap,and so are the food from Walmart/grocery stores. Whatever(dry) food you choose, do'nt use a topper in the beginning, as then they won't eat without it(bullies are very wise... Other people with join in to help-in the long run, it is your choice-just do the best that YOU can do, for your dogs.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

6. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama, Cbrugs liked this post
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Obadiah & Wilhelmina
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info! I am still learning everyday.

8. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Pooper scooper Become a 4 Paw Member KimberlyS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bubba
    Likes (Received)

Hi I know Im a few days late on this topic but Ive just noticed it One thing I discovered almost a year ago was that Bulldogs are not only susceptible to allergies but also to stones and its diet related. My vet told me the grain free food I was feeding Bubba wasnt as good for him as I thought. He needed to be on a special urinary diet. As it turned out the stones that Bubba developed were not the typical Bulldog stones - leave fit to Bubba to have to be different lol - so they ended putting him on U/D wet food that not many vets carry. I have it delivered every 2 weeks. Its been a change for him and the food took some getting used to but if thats what he needs then thats what Bubba gets. One thing I know for sure and Ive been very guilty of this in the past which could of been a huge reason he developeds the stones was no people food! Bubba was used to getting bites of everything from pizza to popcorn and not giving him anything is hard but I know its for the best. So whatever you choose just make sure you refrain from any human food. Welcome and good luck!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Prey-model raw here. My bully will be 13 years old this August. The other one is turning 9 next month. No vet bills other than the yearly check-up.

Somebody on page 1 said organ meat is too much minerals. I'm not sure what they meant. Organ meat is necessary in prey-model raw.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    ...Sardines once a week. ...
    Just a quick question - Castor says sardines once a week sounds like a nice treat so perhaps we should try that, but I guess it's probably not the kind of sardines I would normally buy (smoked sardines in tomato sauce)?? Do you buy fresh sardines?

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Just a quick question - Castor says sardines once a week sounds like a nice treat so perhaps we should try that, but I guess it's probably not the kind of sardines I would normally buy (smoked sardines in tomato sauce)?? Do you buy fresh sardines?
    I give sardines once a week and get the Season brand in water no salt added. I actually tried fresh sardines before and Louie was repulsed by it lmao.

13. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

If you're going fresh, sardines is not as easy to find as other fish depending on your location. Here in Florida, you won't find fresh sardines in the regular supermarket. I usually get fresh whiting or salmon for the dogs but they can get pricey.

Sardines, tuna, or mackerel is usually suggested because you can find them in the canned meat section of the regular grocery. Always go for the fish that has no additives except for water. Wild Planet brand is available in Walmart and they have no added anything options.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

15. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@anatess @Cbrugs
    Many thanks! Will look into this. We don't have sardines in water here (only in tomato sauce and oil) but perhaps tuna in water might be an alternative.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

17. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)

@anatess @Cbrugs
    Many thanks! Will look into this. We don't have sardines in water here (only in tomato sauce and oil) but perhaps tuna in water might be an alternative.
    I always order mine on Amazon and get a pack. Maybe online will be an option for you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes cefe13 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads