Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Frany Stein and Boris Karloff
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I lost an akita to bloat. I wasn't sure what it was, but I had a bad feeling. I coundnt get her in to see her regular vet( not telling them i thought it might be bloat) the vet I did end up taking her to, waited 6 HOURS!!!! to do any kind of xray, apparentlly SHE didn't know what it was. By the time I got her into the emergancy vet (at 1am) the opened her up to do the surgery and came back to tell me to say my goodbyes, there was nothing they could do, it was too late. If you have even the SMALLEST feeling it might be bloat, dont wait and MAKE them see you!!!This was 15 tears ago and I still cry... I still blame myself.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: About Bloat in dogs and what signs to look for in your English Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by crystalmcr View Post
    I lost an akita to bloat. I wasn't sure what it was, but I had a bad feeling. I coundnt get her in to see her regular vet( not telling them i thought it might be bloat) the vet I did end up taking her to, waited 6 HOURS!!!! to do any kind of xray, apparentlly SHE didn't know what it was. By the time I got her into the emergancy vet (at 1am) the opened her up to do the surgery and came back to tell me to say my goodbyes, there was nothing they could do, it was too late. If you have even the SMALLEST feeling it might be bloat, dont wait and MAKE them see you!!!This was 15 tears ago and I still cry... I still blame myself.
    Oh I am so sorry to hear that, so sad! Don't blame yourself, SO many people don't about bloat! But remember it is good to share your story because it will inform others and may keep other pups from losing their lives so tragically.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

5. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Bloat (twisted stomach) was the cause of death for Sherman, our first Bulldog. We got him to the vet. right away but Sherm was almost 9, taking heart meds., and our vet was sure Sherman wouldn't survive the surgery.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh my that is scary and so sad for those of you who have lost dogs to this condition. i was thinking of a slow feed bowl for sarah but now im going to go get one or that ball thing that you put in the bowl. would hate to lose sarah because of something that could simply be prevented.

8. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie Mae "The Diva"
    Likes (Received)

Good info.....now I know I need a slow feed bowl

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

This was a great article, I had heard about bloat, but did not know exactly what caused it, or how serious it actually was. Thank you for the information. Good to know

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    CH CLASSIC ZIPSER BOBBY
    Likes (Received)

My Bobby just passed away of possible bloat, this was riduculous. I still can't believe that it could happen to my boy. He was just a year old. He ahad eye allergy and this might have been a stressfull situation for him, but to the point that they may die? How about a crate training it's a stress to , right? I don't know anymore. Everything can be considered a stress to them, and is this a reason of a bloat?

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

This is great information and good to keep as a reference. I had heard about bloat and knew that drinking a lot of water can cause it, but I didn't know a lot about the causes or all of the symptoms to look for. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

This is great information and good to keep as a reference. I had heard about bloat and knew that drinking a lot of water can cause it, but I didn't know a lot about the causes or all of the symptoms to look for. Thank you

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bronson
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: About Bloat in dogs and what signs to look for in your English Bulldog

Keeping yourself educated is a good thing.
    Thank you for that great information.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

This is great information to have. I lost my first bully Daisy to bloat. It was horrible. We got her to the vet immediately, he decompressed her, kept her overnight, and as she was looking really good he sent her home. A week later I went to work and came home to find her in the closet, in shock. I rushed her to the vet, but she died right after I got her there. I still feel so guilty about going to work that day. One thing to remember about bloat is that when dogs get it once, they are quite likely to get it again. Daisy was 7 years old.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads