Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Nando63 View Post
    Thanks I will keep working on it
    Don't lose hope, a few weeks of positive training and you will be good as gold BTW Zoe is adorable!!! Looks like a very, very sweet girl!!!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoe
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    @Nando63, Maybe it’s not what you want to hear but......Way to much crating!! She’s 5yrs old, is she crated because she chews on things? If NOT don’t crate her. At night she can sleep with your son? But if she chews at least block off a section n leave her in it. Basically your dog roams free 5hrs a day. 4-9pm. Sorry but that’s not normal nor right for any dog. She sleeps all day in the cage plus at night. At least get a gate n put her in a room so she can move more. If it was a puppy it’s another story. At your mom’s was she roaming free with the other dog? Probably did?

For the rain issue, you guys ever walk her in the rain? Rain or snow all dogs needs to be walked so they get use to Mother Nature. Find a dog park and simply walk around it while it’s raining or snowing so her mind will be looking at the other dogs while she’s walking on the wet grass or whatever around the dog park.

Doggy door, use treats. You on one side n your son on the other side. Praise her... she’ll understand the doggy door.

The problem here is you she was living at your moms and now recently just moved 2 weeks ago n you expect her to do everything you want. Sadly it doesn’t work like that as you probably already knew. You n your son needs to understand this is an EB, they don’t do anything on command like other breeds. It’s your mom that basically raised her at her house while you were still living in your condo n working/school etc.... So yes, don’t expect to change a dog in 2 weeks. Takes time as they need to get use to their new surrounding. But definitely get her out of that crate.

Thanks for the reply. Yes she was roaming free at my mother house but she would also have a lot of accidents and my mother simply didn’t care. It became a problem because now I can’t trust her in the house. She is in the crate because I can’t trust her not to use the go in the house. I agree is way to much time in the crate. My plan is to train her to use the dog door. Once she uses it I would like to leave the crate up against the dog door so she can come and go as she wishes. After some time with no accidents eventually leave her roaming free. Yes we did walk her in the rain or snow but she just hates it. She just wanted to go back home. If it was up to her she would just run back in.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the reply. Yes she was roaming free at my mother house but she would also have a lot of accidents and my mother simply didn’t care. It became a problem because now I can’t trust her in the house. She is in the crate because I can’t trust her not to use the go in the house. I agree is way to much time in the crate. My plan is to train her to use the dog door. Once she uses it I would like to leave the crate up against the dog door so she can come and go as she wishes. After some time with no accidents eventually leave her roaming free. Yes we did walk her in the rain or snow but she just hates it. She just wanted to go back home. If it was up to her she would just run back in.
    Sorry to jump in on @helsonwheels Helene's post BUT PLEASE BE VERY VERY careful with "at will" use of the dog door when you are not home. If anything would happen, ie SUMMER HEAT....and Zoe is unable to get back in or refuses to go back in, by the time she overheats it will be TOO LATE.....so please re-think your configuration. There are many safe ways to accomplish your goals with Zoe.

5. Likes cefe13, Cbrugs, ddnene liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoe
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Sorry to jump in on @helsonwheels Helene's post BUT PLEASE BE VERY VERY careful with "at will" use of the dog door when you are not home. If anything would happen, ie SUMMER HEAT....and Zoe is unable to get back in or refuses to go back in, by the time she overheats it will be TOO LATE.....so please re-think your configuration. There are many safe ways to accomplish your goals with Zoe.
    Thanks for the concern. Yes I have consider that that’s why I’m trying really hard to get here trained now she has just been so stubborn. I want to make sure it can happen and it all goes with out problem before it gets hot. Kinda testing it out

7. Likes sisters3, cefe13, helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the concern. Yes I have consider that that’s why I’m trying really hard to get here trained now she has just been so stubborn. I want to make sure it can happen and it all goes with out problem before it gets hot. Kinda testing it out
    Super! Please stick around here! It's a wonderful support family for when you need help (which I have depended on many times)

I hope you will update this thread with more photos of Zoe and good news about the training.

9. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the forum and you have got some great suggestions here. I too think taking her out a lot and walking her on a leash (with treats, if needed) might do the trick. I get it that it's convenient to let a dog out into the garden, but for dogs, going potty is also a social thing (at least for male dogs, but I guess also for females) and they miss out on that if they only pee in the back yard. And if she is going in the crate (and previously in your mum's house) because that is the only place she can mark, I guess taking her out and letting her expand her territory, so to speak, might be good for her and for your house.

Although I like the idea of a doggie door per se, I would only let a dog use it if someone was at home, for the reasons @sisters3 stated (and I would also always oversee my dog outside as I would be afraid someone might want to take him).

I would start taking her out three-four times a day (bag of treats in one hand) and then, when you know she has done her business, skip the crate (I guess there might be reasons to crate a dog, but as I've said before on this forum, I live in a country where crating your dog is against the law, so to me, crating is very odd and just not an option!). I would restrict the dog to one room (the kitchen, perhaps) and close the doors, until you know she can be trusted and that she feels ok with the house.

And regarding rain - Castor hates rain too, but we still take him out and I refuse to go back in before he has peed. He would never go out into a garden willingly in rain; if it's raining in the morning, he actually refuses to get out of bed so some mornings are a bit of a struggle here too (and this bulldog sleeps on the third floor so lots of stairs he needs to go down... but he knows there is a treat waiting for him when he's got his harness on!).

I know it's difficult to train a bulldog, but treats and kisses can do wonders! And perhaps you have some friend with a nice dog who can meet up with you so the dogs can play or walk together? Castor will hop down the stairs when we tell him that his friends might be in the park.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

That’s what I figured mom let her roam free when you said “picking up bad habits”. It’s simply patience n time. Is there a way you can put her like in the kitchen with an indoor dog fence? At least she’ll be able to stretch her legs. You can put potty pads on one side. Like @sisters3 mentioned, yes definitely never leave an EB roam freely outside in the summers. Your son can have her in bed with him. Once in bed these dogs don’t want to go out as they’re too comfortable. Might work for your crate potty issues.

-1ab628c8-a698-40cc-a0ec-8350556a0805-jpeg

12. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

I had a VERY hard time house training Ellie...and she too SPENT ALOT time in her crate, more than we both liked. BUT we graduated to run of the house couch potato.

For Ellie we had to take ALL bedding out and put the divider in so it was small enough that all she could do was lay comfortably, and NOT potty inside and then lay on the other side.

It was the HARDEST thing I had to do, but she started to catch on quickly.

Hang in this, you got this!!

Thanks and much Love,

Melissa - Ellie's Mom

14. Likes sisters3, Cbrugs, helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoe
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. So took everyone’s advice I walk out in the back yard with her and wait for her to go and not just let her out. I also asked my son to walk her as soon as he gets home from school. She does seem so much happier the improvement is amazing. We used cheese to train her to use the doggie door and happy to report that today she finally did it all by her self. We will continue the training and once I’m confident she can get in and out all by her self I’ll try placing the crate against the dog door so she can stretch her legs and not have to hold it all day. I’m hoping that’s just a step to finally letting her roam free in the house. Once again thanks everyone so much. I will continue to update you guys

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. So took everyone痴 advice I walk out in the back yard with her and wait for her to go and not just let her out. I also asked my son to walk her as soon as he gets home from school. She does seem so much happier the improvement is amazing. We used cheese to train her to use the doggie door and happy to report that today she finally did it all by her self. We will continue the training and once I知 confident she can get in and out all by her self I値l try placing the crate against the dog door so she can stretch her legs and not have to hold it all day. I知 hoping that痴 just a step to finally letting her roam free in the house. Once again thanks everyone so much. I will continue to update you guys
    Great! Stay consistent... this was all she needed, was a few eeek reminder. My Frenchie.. HATES rain and wet grass, total diva. and just a word of advice with the dog door/- bulldogs LOVE sunbathing so make sure the door is not accessible on a day over 70, they can overheat very quickly. Also, bulldogs are a highly stolen dog, so be aware so many are taken right from yard.

I知 sure you thought of this but I needed to make sure you are aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

17. Likes sisters3, Manydogs, EllieMay liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. So took everyone’s advice I walk out in the back yard with her and wait for her to go and not just let her out. I also asked my son to walk her as soon as he gets home from school. She does seem so much happier the improvement is amazing. We used cheese to train her to use the doggie door and happy to report that today she finally did it all by her self. We will continue the training and once I’m confident she can get in and out all by her self I’ll try placing the crate against the dog door so she can stretch her legs and not have to hold it all day. I’m hoping that’s just a step to finally letting her roam free in the house. Once again thanks everyone so much. I will continue to update you guys
    Great progress! Looking forward to your updates! @2BullyMama gives very important safety advice! I know you’ll keep that in mind as to the crate against doggie door.

19. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

So good progress! Bullies want to know that they are loved-and want to be with you-so even walking her on leash tells her that you care, and you are partners! Then she will know you are a family together!! Won't mind so much with the doggie door.
    "
    的t came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

21. Likes 2BullyMama, sisters3 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads