crate training/ house training help

adaezejus5

Feb 10, 2017
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
greenmile
hello, I'm a newbie to this site and a new EB pawrent. We've had our new addition for 2 weeks now and he's 9months. I have yet to purchase a new crate (the one I had he would drag it across the floor :rolleyes:) but wil this week. I currently keep him in my bathroom while I'm at work and at night. Question: is it wise to have him in the crate at night and while I'm at work or should I put him in the crate at night and the restroom while I'm at work. I'm sort of torn on the crate because its a small area to be in for a long period of time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... crate are good for them and most come to love the crate and see it as a safe place to go when they want to be alone for awhile. Until our guys were fully potty trained we crated them at night and while away at work.... now, at night they sleep with us and can roam the house if they wish, but during the day they are crated for about 4-5 hours at a time. We have a pet sitter come at mid-day to let them out for about 30-40 mins and then one of us is home by 5PM.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
hello, I'm a newbie to this site and a new EB pawrent. We've had our new addition for 2 weeks now and he's 9months. I have yet to purchase a new crate (the one I had he would drag it across the floor :rolleyes:) but wil this week. I currently keep him in my bathroom while I'm at work and at night. Question: is it wise to have him in the crate at night and while I'm at work or should I put him in the crate at night and the restroom while I'm at work. I'm sort of torn on the crate because its a small area to be in for a long period of time.

Both of mine each have their own crates. I look at the crates as protection against them getting into harms way while I'm away. When I walk in 2 things happen, doors open, leashes go on, and out for a walk. I use Natures Own I think, it's by Blue Buffalo "Duck Biscuits" treats. I can tap the canister I keep the treats in, both boys run to their cages and get a treat as I close the door. Get a crate large enough to house them at adult growth, usually 75 pounds, so they cat sit and lay comfortably even with food bowl and water dish inside. Both of my boys know which crate is who's and they don't go into the others crate. I've read articles about changing their crates at mid growth or mid life, and agree it's like a life changing event for them, so get a big crate, allow them to grow into it, you can always use partitions until they grow bigger. I never worry about one biting into a lamp cord or something else dramatic happening while I'm away, I know their safe and comfy tucked away into their crates. As Lisa was saying, when I'm home their at my side, and I can't even go to the restroom without them following me. At night, they sleep in my bedroom, occasionally I wake up with 1 under the blankets in my bed, guessing he got chilled during the night. The crate is an excellent idea, and will put your mind at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.