OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
I definitely made the mistake the first three days of not blocking off his space to the living room. I later talked to my breeder and she said to restrict access to one room maximum. I started doing this and he was doing much better with going potty in his litter box. I gave him some freedom and started just going everywhere. Even worse, when I reblocked off his area, he started whining a lot, and also doing some dangerous things to get over the barrier. Should I continue to restrict his access and just put up with the whining until he is fully potty trained?

Also, going into getting a dog, all of the things I read gave me the understanding that treats would be a really good way to train him to do lots of things. He is entirely unmotivated by food. I feel very happy when he finishes off his food overnight (my breeder said she left his food out 24/7 which has already made him very picky), and a lot of the treats that I bought he either doesn't love or flat out doesn't want. Therefore a lot of my plans about putting treats in his crate as an incentive have not worked, nor holding still for when I wash his face and wrinkles, and especially he doesn't understand no. He repeatedly will bite over and over things I don't want him to from my hand to my computer. Are there any other ideas for incentives or ways to reward him for good behavior?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
ok,,, some thoughts :) First, congratulations on your new pup :) And, i think your blessed wonderfully with him being already 'used to' going in the box. I think it's huge in potty training, and was for us, absolutely a life saver.. I live on great flat ground with a huge easy access yard, but!!!!!! to get him to know that potty 'around' the house was a no no, it was absolutely wonderful to teach him the potty pad first.. When they gotta go they gotta go at a young age and to get outside 'in time' , even in easy quick access is kinda hard to do.... Soooooo, what i did, as Hank thought (cause my boyfriend had him first) that potty wherever he wanted was fine) , I had one of those metal 'yards' thats about a foot and a half tall, and i placed it in the front room with me (im retired so was able to be home with him) with potty pad at one end away from his bed, and when i couldn't give my complete attention, he would go in there. Theres a door you can leave open or closed as well.. It was real important to me to not let him start the habbit of 'wherever' so i was real diligent. It's also a life saver to have that option of the pad (to me) as occasionally, i get to chattin or something and dont get home too quick and i know he is comfortable now (he's a year) if he HAS to go, he will run to the pad and go there, not somewhere else. It didnt seem to be confusing to him at all.. I am fortunate that i normally leave my back door open for him at all times (well not at night) but it has worked out so well.. I also now have a gate at my/our bedroom door so at night, if he has to go, he will bump the bed to get me up to let him out ;) soooooooooo, as for what others have said as well, i think it's really important to NOT let him do too many stairs for a while,,,, and i dont know if anyone mentioned, feeding schedule. I was pretty solid with that as well. morning, noon and for us no later than 6 at night.. trying to keep close to the same times each day. and strait to potty (pad or outside) after. When my bf had him he too had the free feed thing going on so he never knew when he had to go... I tell ya, it was much easier than i expected having this routine, and even the indoor or outdoor thing goen on. Mabie i just got lucky with an easy pup :) Oh, and one more thing,,, My hank is now just turned one. and........ due to his good poops ;) it is really 'tidy' one time he needed to go inside.... and even pee for this big guy was easy.... I love 'the pad' as an alternative... whew,, i wonder if i read this over if i'll even understand what my scramble head rote... lol

Members online

No members online now.