Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time EB owner

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: First time EB owner

Awww what a handsome little fella! He may have not had any previous training and might not be sure the correct way to play! He may have some trust issues also so I would take it one day at a time and if you have a trainer that would be a big help! Brutus cannot play with other dogs b/c he is used to bullying Chanel around and she takes it but most other dogs wont! lol
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AJnSJ View Post
    I just told Ozzy that I'm the pack leader and he gave me this look:

AJ
    what a great stinkeye picture give him more time to adjust, but definitely get soe training classes. Basic obedience classes will be a great start... he may not know how to play and think that everything is HIS and start protecting. Since you do not really know much history, be smart and safe and get the proper training before trying to do any type of pinning/submitting
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Training is always the best answer for behavior issues, however, try to find a trainer that has worked with bulldogs. They are a special breed and as evidenced by all the threads on this site with various bully " issues" they are pretty much made out of the same mold. Hopefully you will find someone who understands that! That said, bullies can be very verbal. Bogey gets very " loud" when playing with his toys, and if we start tugging, the growl gets louder. I only let him play tug with another dog, but if he gets too verbal, the play is over. I have asked guests not to tug with him- he gets too riled up. But he has NEVER shown one iota of aggression anywhere else, so I know it's just rough play. Can you approach his food while he is eating without a growl or guarding? That's a good test for his personality. And I think since you got him as an adult, it is good to have the eval. Just love his stink eye picture!! He is screaming " yeah right, I'll let her THINK she's the boss!" Good luck!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)

Things are getting better. He snaps here and there but has stopped going for the roommates feet. He doesn't have any food aggression so far. He even lets the cat eat with him.
    He's very protective of me and is has the basics sit, down, shake down well. It's just the refusing to go out for a walk unless he really has to potty and the roommate waking into my space when he's around.
    The bully trainer should be here this week for his eval so we will see what he says.

AJ

AJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads