Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

Default Maggie doesn't like boys

When my boyfriend and I first got Maggie she was really timid and nervous all the time. I figured she grow used to us and get settled. A few weeks ago my boyfriend went out of town for several weeks and Maggie was a new dog. Happy, obedient, ate regularly. Perfect. Then he came home and it's back to fear. He's never hurt her or done anything to scare her. It makes me so sad that she is so scared around him since he's here all the time. What can I do to get her used to him and happy again?

This is what she does when he's in the room. She won't move. She just cowers.

-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375648221-135761-jpg

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Maggie doesn't like boys

I'm sorry I'm not any help except to say patience understanding and love

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby girl, she must have been mistreated by a male sometimes in her life. Only time will fix this. You can have your boyfriend slowly go to her and give her treats and just show her plenty of love. Have him feed her and just talk to her in a kind voice. If she will go on a walk with him let him take her on short walks. Eventually she will start to trust him and come out of her shell.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

Ill see if he will be willing to do that haha

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alyssahope View Post
    Poor Maggie only a bad experience with men will get that reaction. I have a friend who rescued a dog and he was so afraid of men with beards. Make sure your boyfriend really wants to work with Maggie and helping her to replace the bad memories with good ones.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alyssahope View Post
    David gave you Great advice. If your bf is willing.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I have no experience with this, but just want to say hi, tell you that you already for good advice From above members, and also to wish you luck. Only time, patience and love will fix her timidness and fear. Like others have said have your boyfriend spend time with her, sit with her, talk to her in a soft voice, feed her, and maybe hand feed her, so she gets used to him, and also give her treats. With time she'll learn to trust and love him. Was Maggie a rescue, or are you her only owner? If she was rescued, do you have any info on her background or any previous owners? Maybe she was abused by a male before, so now she's skittish. Good luck and I hope she learns to trust your boyfriend. Keep us posted on how she's doing.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Ditto the great advise of DavidH - I was gonna say can he actually feed her? Have her see that he is putting the food in the bowl she eats, giving her special treats (peanut butter on spoon), etc? See if that will work. Good Luck!

ROLL TIDE
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@JAKEISGREAT... can you confirm this for me.... but, I am thinking he needs to ignore her and let her come to him. He can feed her, place the food in bowl and put it on the floor for her, but if her fear is this intense, I think she needs to know he is not a danger and go to him.

When I worked at a dog daycare (2007 - 2011), there was a sweet girl (Cane Corso) that was teriffied of men and whenever a male entered the area, she would sit in a corner and lick the floor. We were all told to ignore her and allow her to come to us... within a few days, she warmed up to all the females and then in a few weeks she was fine with all the guys. I still see her as we are now friends with her onwers, she still fears men and childern, but slowly warms up after only a few hours. Me and my other half, well, we are her play mates and when shee sees us... all heck breaks loose -- it take time and lots of patience, but it can work.
    Last edited by 2BullyMama; 08-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    @JAKEISGREAT... can you confirm this for me.... but, I am thinking he needs to ignore her and let her come to him. He can feed her, place the food in bowl and put it on the floor for her, but if her fear is this intense, I think she needs to know he is not a danger and go to him.

When I worked at a dog daycare (2007 - 2011), there was a sweet girl (Cane Corso) that was teriffied of men and whenever a male entered the area, she would sit in a corner and lick the floor. We were all told to ignore her and allow her to come to us... within a few days, she warmed up to all the females and then in a few weeks she was fine with all the guys. I still see her as we are now friends with her onwers, she still fears men and childern, but slowly warms up after only a few hours. Me and my other half, well, we are her play mates and when shee sees us... all heck breaks loose -- it take time and lots of patience, but it can work.

Yes..if possible, he should sit on the floor near her..NOT in her face near..and with his back towards her. She will not fear his back and still smell him. Familiarizing herself with his "being" without him reaching to touch him. He can talk to her in a low voice. He shouldn't reach out to her while she is in a fear state. If he does this for 5-10 minutes every day..in a few days, she will start to relax. The day she moves TOWARDS him..even a tiny bit..is a great day. She has fear for a reason. You may never know why..and it's not important. What is important, is building a new foundation of trust. He can't do it overnight..it may take months..but Dogs forgive. Take the little stps she makes but never force new ones on her..until she shows you she is ready..and she will!

Real Name
    Alyssa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Queen Margaret May
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! I hope to have a loving pack soon!

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Poor baby girl, she must have been mistreated by a male sometimes in her life. Only time will fix this. You can have your boyfriend slowly go to her and give her treats and just show her plenty of love. Have him feed her and just talk to her in a kind voice. If she will go on a walk with him let him take her on short walks. Eventually she will start to trust him and come out of her shell.
    This is exactly what I would recommend too. Maybe try walking with the 2 of them but letting him hold the leash.
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads