Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy chewing and mouthing - help please!!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Puppy chewing and mouthing - help please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie the Bull View Post
    I am a brand new Bulldog owner. Bonnie is 10 weeks old and when we got her 2 weeks ago, she was chewing and biting everything....including all of us. I did a lot of research, as this behavior is maddening. The best advice I found was actually from Ceser Milan (The Dog Whisperer). He says you have to talk the language the puppy (or dog) will understand. After all, that is what the puppy is trying to do with you, with the nipping...that is how puppies interact. So, after trying the "No", ignoring her, etc, etc for the first week (none of which worked), I tried taking Cesar's advice.

What I did was when Bonnie started to nip I very quickly, loudly (Bark, growl combination) and forcibly (within reason of course, I don't want to hurt her) took her to her side with my face going towards the back of her neck and my hand grabbing the back of neck area. I then looked her straight in the eyes and growled as she submitted (which she did immediately). I then let her up and ignored her.

She sat still in utter shock (it was actually very funny to see this behavior)...it was like, what the hell, where did you come from....was that an Alpha I just encountered. Indeed she had, and she knew it and she understood it. She did not nip at me. I ignored her for a little bit then gave her the chew toy which she began happily playing with. Five or ten minutes late she came to me, rather cautiously, and licked my hand, sniffed, but no nipping.

It was a remarkable change. I still do some re-enforcement of it now and then. Normally now I just have to growl and she stops (whatever she is mouthing). She certainly doesn't nip anywhere like she use to. Even when she does do it now, it is really softly.

I have read a lot of forums in a lot of places about this behavior and how it is driving bulldog puppy owners crazy. I thought it would be helpful to share my approach. I am not a dog trainer, I am a first time Bulldog owner and I too was going crazy with this constant nipping and biting. The solution, turned out to be very easy....but, you have take complete control when you do it and be forceful (again, don't hurt your puppy...you can do this without hurting her/him). It took my daughter a few times to get the hang of it. But Bonnie no longer nips or bites at her also.

Hope this will be helpful to some other newbies like myself.

This is great advice..and by the way..we have other members who have had success doing this too!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Puppy chewing and mouthing - help please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie the Bull View Post
    I am a brand new Bulldog owner. Bonnie is 10 weeks old and when we got her 2 weeks ago, she was chewing and biting everything....including all of us. I did a lot of research, as this behavior is maddening. The best advice I found was actually from Ceser Milan (The Dog Whisperer). He says you have to talk the language the puppy (or dog) will understand. After all, that is what the puppy is trying to do with you, with the nipping...that is how puppies interact. So, after trying the "No", ignoring her, etc, etc for the first week (none of which worked), I tried taking Cesar's advice.

What I did was when Bonnie started to nip I very quickly, loudly (Bark, growl combination) and forcibly (within reason of course, I don't want to hurt her) took her to her side with my face going towards the back of her neck and my hand grabbing the back of neck area. I then looked her straight in the eyes and growled as she submitted (which she did immediately). I then let her up and ignored her.

She sat still in utter shock (it was actually very funny to see this behavior)...it was like, what the hell, where did you come from....was that an Alpha I just encountered. Indeed she had, and she knew it and she understood it. She did not nip at me. I ignored her for a little bit then gave her the chew toy which she began happily playing with. Five or ten minutes late she came to me, rather cautiously, and licked my hand, sniffed, but no nipping.

It was a remarkable change. I still do some re-enforcement of it now and then. Normally now I just have to growl and she stops (whatever she is mouthing). She certainly doesn't nip anywhere like she use to. Even when she does do it now, it is really softly.

I have read a lot of forums in a lot of places about this behavior and how it is driving bulldog puppy owners crazy. I thought it would be helpful to share my approach. I am not a dog trainer, I am a first time Bulldog owner and I too was going crazy with this constant nipping and biting. The solution, turned out to be very easy....but, you have take complete control when you do it and be forceful (again, don't hurt your puppy...you can do this without hurting her/him). It took my daughter a few times to get the hang of it. But Bonnie no longer nips or bites at her also.

Hope this will be helpful to some other newbies like myself.
    That's great advice, thanks for taking the time to post that - I will try that with Otis but he's 14mos so may be a little tougher. Funny you mentioned that though because my husband while playing with Otis did just that "growled" and Otis stood still, immediately dropped the toy in his mouth and ran to him to give him hugs and kisses.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads