Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I got an orchid...now what do i do?

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I got an orchid...now what do i do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bella'sMom View Post
    @anatess ....you are the one to ask. I have a sunflower orchid, it is a hybrid. So as you know, you should not re-pot them if in bloom. Well, I can't get this one to stop! I have had it since Easter of last year and it is in consent blooms. Not that I am complaining, just I want to get it out of the plastic ad get it in some new moss and a basket. Should I still wait or go ahead and do it?
    Is this the kind you got?

Yeah, this is a hybrid but it still follows the same care as regular phaelanopsis orchids. It's awesome that you got a non-stop bloomer! These guys usually bloom from winter through spring and then it goes and tries building new leaves and new roots through the summer and fall before blooming again come winter. Is your plant growing new leaves/roots? If so, definitely just leave it alone doing the exact same thing you're doing to it now. You can put the entire pot in a big decorative basket if you like, just make sure it still gets enough air. If it's not growing new leaves/roots it will eventually "max" out its blooming cycle and you can repot then.

I'm drooling. I've never had a non-stop bloomer ever before!

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Orchids are my fav but I kill them all. lol Sadly.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Is this the kind you got?

Yeah, this is a hybrid but it still follows the same care as regular phaelanopsis orchids. It's awesome that you got a non-stop bloomer! These guys usually bloom from winter through spring and then it goes and tries building new leaves and new roots through the summer and fall before blooming again come winter. Is your plant growing new leaves/roots? If so, definitely just leave it alone doing the exact same thing you're doing to it now. You can put the entire pot in a big decorative basket if you like, just make sure it still gets enough air. If it's not growing new leaves/roots it will eventually "max" out its blooming cycle and you can repot then.

I'm drooling. I've never had a non-stop bloomer ever before!
    That is the one. Not as full as the picture. It has two stalks now in bloom and 3 stalks growing and starting to bud. I was told that it would bloom a couple times a year and when it is done to re-plant it, well I haven't had the chance....funny thing is, she told my that my Cherry Blossom colored Cymbidium would be the frequent bloomer and it has lots of blooms, but just once a year. I wonder if she was confused. We have a Wholesale Orchid farm here in town and they open it to the public!!!! My mom and I go a couple times a year.

Always with me

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

That is the one. Not as full as the picture. It has two stalks now in bloom and 3 stalks growing and starting to bud. I was told that it would bloom a couple times a year and when it is done to re-plant it, well I haven't had the chance....funny thing is, she told my that my Cherry Blossom colored Cymbidium would be the frequent bloomer and it has lots of blooms, but just once a year. I wonder if she was confused. We have a Wholesale Orchid farm here in town and they open it to the public!!!! My mom and I go a couple times a year.
    I'm definitely drooling now! The best source I got close to me is this lady with a greenhouse down the street from my old house. She gets a lot of "baby" orchids from her well established plants so she sells them to pay for fertilizing cost. She has quite a varied collection but mostly phals and dendrobiums and ground orchids.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

@anatess. here is a photo, not as full and pretty as the one you posted. Terri says if maybe I just try to fertilize them, they will do even better. Problem is, I am afraid to do anything different, I have had such good luck.

Always with me

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

@anatess . here is a photo, not as full and pretty as the one you posted. Terri says if maybe I just try to fertilize them, they will do even better. Problem is, I am afraid to do anything different, I have had such good luck.

Now, see... THAT is a poster child of a healthy orchid. See those massive, fat, green roots? That's quite amazing that you have a plant in full bloom and still growing new roots (the bright green ones as opposed to the older dull green ones) and even new leaves! There are so many flower stalks on that one that you'll be blooming all through June at least! So yeah, definitely leave that baby alone for now... You might have to move it to a bigger pot within the year as those roots are going to get too crowded in that little space and will start to bust out of it, but if it stays as healthy as it is now without repotting, you can always just leave the new roots exposed in a variated "aeroponic" setting.

I'm drooling so much Bullie will have to mop it all up!
    Last edited by anatess; 02-06-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Moo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Attachment 16636

My realtor presented me with this beautiful orchid arrangement yesterday. I love it but i don't know how to care for it so that the orchid will last awhile. Can anyone here give me some tips? i believe sunlight is necessary...but that's really all i know. I wanted to ask here b4 googling this. Thanks to all my friends with green thumbs!
    Orchids are not as exotic and scary as they may seem at first. I think they do well on what I call benign neglect :-). This looks to be a phalenopsis(I can't spell a, but I hope you can figure out what I mean). They do well in bright light, eastern light seems to be the best I've found. They can handle direct sunlight here in the winter(VA), but need filtered indirect light in summer. I put mine on the front porch in the spring as soon as freeze is no danger and leave it there until usually early/mid October. Water them well, but don't make them soggy. Let them get dry between waterings and give them diluted fertlizer once a month or so. I sometimes will sit them out in the rain and let nature provide food for it. Good luck and enjoy. They can become addictive :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads