Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Wanna go bye-bye?

When we got Vegas, we wanted to make sure he was comfortable in the car. Being first time bulldog owners, we were very protective of our little man. My husband had the capability to take him to work in the company truck. This was a win win situation for us. We didn't have to worry about leaving him unsupervised at home for 8+ hours..and we got to socialize him. My hubby soon found out it was impossible to eat lunch in his truck with a baby bully in the passenger seat. We had to think of a way, not only to keep him safe in all vehicles, but to also keep him in place when it was lunch time.
    We found an awesome seatbelt/harness made by Easy Rider. This is how we secure our babies in the vehicle when we are running around town. We originally had a different harness, but it would slide down over Vegas's shoulders. We bought ours at Petsmart.
    How do you keep you dog safe in the car when traveling? If we are driving to Oregon on a dune trip, we will put Orion in her kennel for safe keeping. That way, she doesn't fight with Vegas.

If you have pictures...I wanna see!
    Last edited by Libra926; 07-30-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wanna go bye-bye?

If I take them to the vet, (funny, imagine this) 4 kids all buckled in, crate in the back. (we have a chevy tahoe and a minivan), if I have to take a dog to the vet, we take the tahoe. Since there is nowhere safe, I put them in the crate cuz the kids take up all the seatbelt spots. Two babies in carseats kills that middle spot in the backseat. It's almost obsolete... LOL

But, this is why I have a mobile vet. What can I say? I am a homebody. See, I am here, on my computer on a Friday night

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

We dont do a ton of car rides, just the vets mostly so we actually dont have seat bealt harnesses. Something I should look into just for their safety. I usually just put the boys in the front seat of the truck with me and they chill.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I found myself sometimes doing that, until a car pulled out in front of me one day and I slammed on my breaks.....Vegas was thrown to the floor. He's a big boy to be thrown around like that. After that, I swore I would never leave him unbelted again.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Oh my gosh what a scary thought. Well this will be a good thread to remind us to buckle them up also.

Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes, so much so! I think Vegas remembers the incident. He usually gets a lift into the car and immediately wants to lay on the floor. I have to convince him to sit on the seat then I buckle him in. Orion likes to get herself all twisted around in the belt....but what can I expect from baby O?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Poor Vegas, how could he not remember?!?! Figure look how much an accident stays with us and we understand it. All he knows is he went flying and it must have scared him. Poor baby.

Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm glad that he still loves the car. It seems to calm them both down, despite the "incident". I have to occasionally load them both into the car and drive around the neighborhood for 10 to 15 minutes...........and OH...if they get out the front door when I'm trying to leave for work? It takes sooooooo much work to get them away from my car!!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I have a nice little section in the way back of my car (behind the back seat) that is perfect size for a bullie or two. I put down a blanket and a dog bed. For the little guy, he goes in a crate belted in the back until he's bigger and less unruly.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Oh my.. I think I'm a bad bully momma We let Chester hang his head out the window - along with flapping tongue I never even thought twice about it the safety aspect.. thank you for bringing this up!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess "Katie"
    Likes (Received)

Katie loves to go for rides. She actually goes to work with my husband everyday. He has a dog seat belt in his jeep so that she is safe and secure, especially when he takes the doors off. She sits in the front seat with her seat belt and doesn't move. She will actually pout when we leave and she doesn't get to go. Then usually when we get back we will take her out for a short ride to get ice cream or something, just so she gets to ride. How spoiled is that?
    Life is happier when you have a bulldog.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have the Easy Rider car harness for Samson too, I got it before Sam even turned 1 so almost 4 years ago. The same thing that happened to Vegas happened to Samson on a day that he was being restless in the back seat so I unbuckled the seat belt so he could get comfortable. I don't do that anymore. I think having it is important for us because I live in the Los Angeles area, traffic capital of the world, and I could have to slam on my brakes unexpectedly at any time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads