Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanna go bye-bye?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wanna go bye-bye?

I REALLY want Gertie to get used to going for rides and going with me when I run out to do things. However, I live in the Phoenix area and it is SOOOOO hot now, I don't take her along because I can't leave her in the car, even for a minute. I have an almost 3 year old St. Bernard and he never goes anywhere with us because he won't fit in our car! (We have to borrow our daughter's car when he goes to the vet). So we were very happy to be getting a smaller dog that could "go bye-bye". I have a small soft-sided crate/carrier for her (which she is quickly outgrowing), that I could seat-belt in. The other day I decided to take her for a ride without the carrier. I had to run up to Mesa to take something to my son, so I wasn't getting out of the car. Maybe it was too long a "maiden-voyage", it's about 1/2 an hour away. Anyway, I put several of her favorite toys in the front passenger floor and off we went. I wanted her on the floor, rather than on the seat, for the exact reason several people have mentioned, I didn't want her to fall off or go flying. Well, this all turned out to be quite a trip! She sat on the floor and barked at me for MILES! Then she chewed on the emergency brake, tried to climb over into the drivers side, was literally all over the place, til I was constantly pushing her back. Just as I was thinking "NEVER AGAIN!!!", she took a BIG poop on the car floor. Luckily I had napkins and an empty sack from a burger handy, so I could pull over and clean it up. And we were almost home. THANK HEAVEN! SO... after that little fiasco, I don't think little miss Gertie will be going out with me again for a while. Maybe for shorter rides. (Sigh...)

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess "Katie"
    Likes (Received)

Don't get to discouraged. Katie is almost a year old now but when she was younger she was all over place in the car. She has since settled down somewhat. She still wants to sit in my lap (when I am the passenger) but her being almost 45lbs and it really not being safe she isn't permitted to do this. Like you we too had dogs that were to big to go for rides so I was thrilled that Katie was able to go with us and that loves going for rides. Since she goes to work with my husband and there are times that he has to go to a job site she gets to go with him so she travels quite a bit. She really does pout when she can't go with us. I know I have said this before but bulldogs are such special dogs I can't imagine not having her and as soon as I can figure out how I can have another one I will. (This time I will adopt) Good luck and enjoy the riding along will get better.
    Life is happier when you have a bulldog.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Kudos to you for wanting to adopt! Vegas use to be all over the car also, until he got harnessed in. Now he just sits like a good boy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads