Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Behaviour Problems

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Behaviour Problems

You have already gotten some great advice so I say go with that. Congrats on your baby! How far along? Details please? How exciting! Cutty was 3 when my daughter was first born so not the same situation but I was very worried about the pups with her toys and not understanding whos is whos. I pictured them stealing all her toys and destroying them. Turns out when it is a new toy they dont know whos it is yet so they want it but once they see that it is for the kids and has their smell and I tell them to leave it, they dont ever go back to it. Apparently the pups are much smarter than I had given credit in my mind. lol

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

Oh boy! Busters' bed in his pen has a hole in it. It is the kong pillow, which is "indestructible" -- it is pretty good -- it lasted him about 6 months. So, anyway, I bought him a new bed last night at walmart, as there is no petsmart nearby, which is where I found the kong one. I bought the sturdiest one I could find, fabric-wise. I gave it to him last night, and this morning there was stuffing all over his pen and the bed is destroyed. I don't even think he was being bad.....he just lays and chews his bed while he sleeps. I have no idea how much of the stuffing he actually digested! Now I will have to keep him in his pen with no soft bed or pillow until I have time to make the 3 hour trip to the nearest petsmart!!! Does anyone else have any other brand of beds or pillows that can withstand chewing???
    @cali~jenn, thanks for asking -- I am 12 weeks along and this is my first human baby!!! I am excited but nervous about Busters. I don't think he will be mean to the baby, but I have to keep him from jumping up on him/her, stealing toys, bottles, etc. I am a teacher so I have made a plan with myself to get him some training once school lets out. That will give me more time to focus on training him and doing what the trainer suggests! Oh Bustys!
    Dee & Busters (aka Bustys)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats again. I just had my second baby so now I have a 2 1/2 yr and an almost 4 month old baby. Cutty is such a bull in a china shop that I was very worried too and he wanted to help be mommy which is cute but such a pain too. lol. We just kept both pups off the couch where we sat for the first couple days and let them sniff/lick their feet to get used to them. It is still hard to keep a crazy ball chasing cutty from stomping on the girls but it all worked out ok so far so I am sure it will be much easier than you think. I use a big play pen for a safe place to set Paige and know nobody can mess with her but now being my 2nd mostly I can trust the boys with her in a little bouncy chair on the floor next to them.

As for the bed I cant help much. Sorry. lol

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@DeeDee..you certainly have your hands full. And you need to get busters under control before the baby (yay) comes..for sure. I don't have much more to offer than what has been offered already..but I would go back to when he was a baby and start over with training. Nobeds or nice comfy things in his crate..give him small doses of freedom at a time..and exercise as much as you can. My sister is a dog trainer..I will email her and see if she has any tips for you. Wish you luck..I think he is testing you! Has he always been like this or just since you are preggers? Thinking maybe he senses something big is coming his way!

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

Thanks cali~jenn --- sounds like your guy is a lot like mine --- a bull in a china shop does accurately describe Busters! He always has good intentions --- he's just not very graceful or gentle! It makes me feel better to know that they do get used to the kids! I think I would probably do what you said, and get a big playpen. I don't know that I trust him with a chair on the floor yet! We'll see how he does. I have a sixteen month old nephew and Busters likes to knock him down and lick his face! Not a good idea with a newborn!!! ha ha

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

@JAKEISGREAT thanks so much for offering to email your sister. That would be great -- any advice would be good! This has been going on since day 1. It hasn't gotten worse since I got preggo. He just chews absolutely everything! When he is asleep he chews his blanket/bed while snoring and sleeping. I don't know if it is a comfort thing or what. As for the chewing outside -- well that is just bad behaviour I think!!! But I don't know how to stop him because he has lots of toys, and he chews just everything! He isn't lacking for safe things to chew. He even chews the bark mulch in the garden. I am waiting for it to disintegrate and then I will never get it again, as he eats it. When he poos, there is almost always wood chips in his poo!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    @JAKEISGREAT thanks so much for offering to email your sister. That would be great -- any advice would be good! This has been going on since day 1. It hasn't gotten worse since I got preggo. He just chews absolutely everything! When he is asleep he chews his blanket/bed while snoring and sleeping. I don't know if it is a comfort thing or what. As for the chewing outside -- well that is just bad behaviour I think!!! But I don't know how to stop him because he has lots of toys, and he chews just everything! He isn't lacking for safe things to chew. He even chews the bark mulch in the garden. I am waiting for it to disintegrate and then I will never get it again, as he eats it. When he poos, there is almost always wood chips in his poo!
    No problem@DeeDee..I will email her tonite..usually I could just call..but she is at a training course..bummer..she has limited time to check emails so might be late tomorrow or Thursday. She is very good and I'm sure shel'll have some input. When I read about the bark eating I had to laugh..Jake loves bark too! He poops it out and has even barfed it up at 2 in the morning! He is like a Hoover vacuum outside..a few days ago he even hoovered up a bee and got stung on his lip! You might think that would discourage him..NO..he was right back at it the next day.eeeeek!! Some of your guys behavior is sad to say..normal. The chewing, to the extent he does it is not! Try not to stress out..I think more crate time might help too. I will pm you asap on what my sis says!

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much @JAKEISGREAT ! I really appreciate it! It would be nice to get to the point where he doesn't have to be in his crate unless he wants to, or it's night time! And it would be nice to be able to trust him alone in the back yard. To be honest, I do leave him out there even though I know he's probably wrecking stuff! I know that's bad, but sometimes I just need to get stuff done without him in the house!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

No problem @DeeDee.glad to try and help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads