Dry food

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
Good evening to all Iā€™m new to this i will have my puppy in a few weeks but just not sure which way to go as far as food go Iā€™ve heard a lot about the RAW Diet but not sure if thatā€™s the right move any suggestions also can anyone recommend a good dry food ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If going with kibble a few that are at the top and some members here get good results are

Fromm
Zingnature
Acana
Orijen
Earth born Holistic

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
If going with kibble a few that are at the top and some members here get good results are

Fromm
Zingnature
Acana
Orijen
Earth born Holistic

I keep seeing those same names coming up Iā€™m gonna de some research and see what will be best the breeder is the one who recommended eukanuba Lamb and rice

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I keep seeing those same names coming up Iā€™m gonna de some research and see what will be best the breeder is the one who recommended eukanuba Lamb and rice

Eukanuba.... yuk! All fillers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

If your dog after 4 months of age starts licking paws, or scratching at ears and shaking head, or getting hot spots, there's a good chance it's getting allergies, so at that time switch to a dehydrated raw or frozen raw. But for now try Fromm Heartland Gold Grain Free Large Breed Puppy or Orijen Puppy Large, to name two examples but there are other good brands as well.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
If your dog after 4 months of age starts licking paws, or scratching at ears and shaking head, or getting hot spots, there's a good chance it's getting allergies, so at that time switch to a dehydrated raw or frozen raw. But for now try Fromm Heartland Gold Grain Free Large Breed Puppy or Orijen Puppy Large, to name two examples but there are other good brands as well.

Thank you I appreciate the help does foods sure are expensive hope there Worth it

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thank you I appreciate the help does foods sure are expensive hope there Worth it

You won't notice any difference with a quality dog food but hopefully your dog will have fewer health problems and vet visits later in life.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] got you cover on the food. Food is expensive but so is your dog. These dogs comes with issues if you do not start him off right with the proper food. Worth the money down the road...also add fresh veggies and fruits..start with veggies..stick to fresh green beans. NEVER cans. Acana has tripe in their kibbles so thatā€™s a big plus. Buy some organs and give it frozen ... simply start with one new produce/food per week.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] got you cover on the food. Food is expensive but so is your dog. These dogs comes with issues if you do not start him off right with the proper food. Worth the money down the road...also add fresh veggies and fruits..start with veggies..stick to fresh green beans. NEVER cans. Acana has tripe in their kibbles so thatā€™s a big plus. Buy some organs and give it frozen ... simply start with one new produce/food per week.

Ok so like apples carrots and organs what type of organs like liver and frozen ok so do I just add it to the dry food also is that with every feeding or just once or twice a week ???

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
locally, Zignature is about $10 less per large bag than Orijen and Acana. That's the only reason we switched.

OP
Nelson318

Nelson318

Sep 19, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. wrinkles
locally, Zignature is about $10 less per large bag than Orijen and Acana. That's the only reason we switched.

Ok I will look in to it also did you see the other post someone mentioned that I should give fruits and vegetables and frozen organs I wouldnā€™t think that would be good but I did some research and it shouldnā€™t do any harm just not sure what kind of organs to use and do I have to use it in every meal or just once or twice a week

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Yep, we do not feed organs or fruits regularly. Helene is the resident holistic, natural, essential oil expert...and held in high regard. She's forgotten more on the subject than I will ever know.
We stick with what works for us and within our means(time and $$$) as a rescue organization.
That said, we do give fruits and veggies(carrots, apple, banana) as treats...and the occasional piece of leftover fish, chicken, beef, pork, turkey. Never treat while we are seated at a table and never give raisins or grapes as they can/will cause renal failure. We also dose a probiotic(Probiotic Miracle) every now and again especially after a round of antibiotics.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yep, we do not feed organs or fruits regularly. Helene is the resident holistic, natural, essential oil expert...and held in high regard. She's forgotten more on the subject than I will ever know.
We stick with what works for us and within our means(time and $$$) as a rescue organization.
That said, we do give fruits and veggies(carrots, apple, banana) as treats...and the occasional piece of leftover fish, chicken, beef, pork, turkey. Never treat while we are seated at a table and never give raisins or grapes as they can/will cause renal failure. We also dose a probiotic(Probiotic Miracle) every now and again especially after a round of antibiotics.

[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] you cute! That was funny....thanks for the laugh. :D
[MENTION=18623]Nelson318[/MENTION] as Chip said in his post, itā€™s what works for your dog. Basically what Iā€™m trying to say is start with a kibble that works. One protein per bag is much easier down the road to eliminate allergies if any. Veggies I give on regular basis cause I eat tons of veggies myself and while Iā€™m cutting my pepper or zucchiniā€™s etc I toss a few to my dogs. Thatā€™s a way for them to get fiber. Organs, I either use beef...liver or heart. Cut them in little pieces n freeze them as snack or boil all n use a bit as a topper on the kibble. And yes Iā€™m very holistic n natural way before any meds, supplements or out of a can person. But thatā€™s me. Iā€™ll suggest to people certain things but boils down itā€™s up to the individual to do what they want with their dogs. I never boosted any of my pets will all sorts of vitamins. Iā€™ll go the organic produce/food way. There are some supplements I will give for sure ā€œbutā€ never on regular basis. Too much supplements are a waste of money. You need to be on the ball when it comes to the billion dollar market it is today. Like humans, if you eat right you donā€™t need to fill yourself of all sorts of vitamins. This supplement you saw n want to give to your dog, like mentioned, waste of money plus ingredients I wouldnā€™t give my dogs nor myself. So just get to know your new puppy n enjoy...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Kibble brands mentioned are high quality. Raw is best. Dehydrated raw like The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's is also an option. As stated, supplements for puppies shouldn't be needed if you are feeding a high quality diet. My French Bulldog gets 100% raw and my bulldog Louie gets Zignature in the am and raw in the pm. Like Helene, I give them veggies and fruits whenever I am cooking and chopping. I also rotate between raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock for a probiotic.

Staff online

Members online