Tiny Bulldog

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
Ever since my husband and I (and our other EB) picked up our second, we've wondered what the deal was. Sophie was literally 2.5 lbs when we took her in to her first vet appointment. She was so small we were constantly afraid of stepping on her and squishing her! I mean, tiny. I will have to post photos. Anyhow, she's now 3 1/2 and weighs about 36 lbs. She's still really small. Do you think she was just a runt? Or do you think the breeder gave her to us waaaaayyyyyy too early? I have always had a suspicion that she wasn't fully ready to leave her birth-mama... Anyone else have one that small?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I have 2 that small and 2 more that are a little bigger. Lala 35 Pippy 36 Mini 39 Zoey 40
I like them little...costs less to feed 'em.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
My Bella was just under 5 lbs when we got her. Now she is 53 lbs at 16 months old. I wanted a small dog :(
Didn't get one. But wouldn't trade her for the world either.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I've not heard of an English Bulldog that tiny. What did the vet say? How old were you told she was by the breeder? Does she have any health issues? Did you see her siblings and parents? Is she AKC registered? Pictures might be helpful, hopefully some others here have some thoughts. I'll tag some members who may have some insight. Hope this helps!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it is not that uncommon for them to be under 40 lbs... Orion ( [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]) is a tiny girl, but pack a wallop!

I agree with you, I'd be suspicious that she left momma too early.. 2.5 lbs for a Bulldog at 8 weeks, is really tiny.

Pictures please :)

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
That is super tiny! We also purchased our bulldog from a breeder in WA State and we thought she was really small (7.5lbs at 7.5 weeks). Her AKC paperwork shows her birth date (litter registration/birth) so we knew it was her actual age. You should be able to see it on your girls paperwork. She's now just a little over 21 lbs at 20 weeks old. Here is the Bug the day we brought her home:
036.JPG

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
That is super tiny! We also purchased our bulldog from a breeder in WA State and we thought she was really small (7.5lbs at 7.5 weeks). Her AKC paperwork shows her birth date (litter registration/birth) so we knew it was her actual age. You should be able to see it on your girls paperwork. She's now just a little over 21 lbs at 20 weeks old. Here is the Bug the day we brought her home:
View attachment 111768

I’m in Washington too!! Where are you guys?

My guy came home at around 11 weeks and weighed 20 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ever since my husband and I (and our other EB) picked up our second, we've wondered what the deal was. Sophie was literally 2.5 lbs when we took her in to her first vet appointment. She was so small we were constantly afraid of stepping on her and squishing her! I mean, tiny. I will have to post photos. Anyhow, she's now 3 1/2 and weighs about 36 lbs. She's still really small. Do you think she was just a runt? Or do you think the breeder gave her to us waaaaayyyyyy too early? I have always had a suspicion that she wasn't fully ready to leave her birth-mama... Anyone else have one that small?

36lbs at 3.5yrs old...is a bit tiny. What do you feed her and how much per day along with snacks?

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I've seen listings for 'micro-bullies'
Is this what they're talking about?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Would be nice to see pictures. Standard of the breed says for females average is 40 pounds, so average means some dogs can be smaller. If she is proportionate in stature, her weight is good for her height, then no need to worry. Sometimes puppies bred from normal parents can develop a spontaneous mutation of genes that control stature or just her combination of genes produced an unexpected appearance. The same like you know small people with dwarfism, they usually have absolutely normal size parents. It’s just a mutation. And when people with dwarfism have kids, their kids can be normal size. So even absolutely purebred bulldog can be smaller. If all other traits like face, shape of body etc look good, there is no reason to suspect that her bloodline isn’t good. For pet quality dog it’s not a fault.
It can happen also in multifetal pregnancy, that there are so many placentas in uterus, that one of them doesn’t get enough nutrients, so yeah, in this case you get so called runt, a smaller, weaker puppy. It is now difficult to say if they handed her to you in proper age of 2 months old, 2 and half pound is definitely very little. Average weight for 2mo EB puppy is 5-7 pounds. But if you got her at 2 mo, and she was just 2,5 and now she is 36, you did an amazing job of raising her! I don’t think there should be any problem with her. Even if she was a runt, she definitely overcame it!
In fact, purebred bulldog of small size, especially bitch, has a HUGE value for shady breeders, as besides from unusual colour EB, English Bulldog of typical appearance but small size is one of these new fads. They charge a lot for puppies born from small parents promising a small English bulldog. So, you actually have a jewel !

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That is very tiny. 2,5 pounds is 1,35 kilos.... are you sure you got the unit here? In my experience an 8 week old pup is normally from 9-14 pounds, 4-6,5 kilos. I've only ever got one that has been on the lower number. But if she is happy and healthy then it doesn't matter, right? But I do have question the breeder though. I would never sell a pup that small. I would most definitely keep it myself so long as to see if it was healthy and growing right.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel was 19 pounds at 10 weeks and she is now 64 lbs and in 27 days (April 26, 2018) she will be 5 years old.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor turns five in April and he's 19 kilos (lbs 42). I don't have his exact weight as a pup at hand, but when we picked him up when he was nine weeks he weighed something like 4-5 kilos (ca lbs 8-10). He is smaller than his parents (his dad was lbs 55 and his mum perhaps lbs 50). Castor actually weighed over 20 kilos at one stage when he was still growing but has been stable now for a few years.

Members online