Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So I went ahead and got some oil to give to Jax. He is not liking being confined to his crate so I'm hoping this will help calm him and maybe even help with pain while he waits for his next dose of medication. He was due for codeine at 1 pm but gave him oil instead as I want to get the codeine on the same schedule as his other drugs so I'm not having to wake up multiple times during the night. It's been an hour and so far, so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So I went ahead and got some oil to give to Jax. He is not liking being is confined to his crate so I'm hoping this will help calm him and maybe even help with pain while he waits for his next dose of medication. He was due for codeine at 1 pm but gave him oil instead as I want to get the codeine on the same schedule as his other drugs so I'm not having to wake up multiple times during the night. It's been an hour and so far, so good. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a reason why the vet spread the codeine intake from his other meds. His other meds, is there any other traces of acetaminophen? Not good to mix. I personally wouldn't give or take codeine with other meds as it's a narcotic.....best person to ask is [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] as they are pharmacist.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So originally codeine was supposed to be on same schedule but because of his pain, they were giving it to him earlier.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I don't see any reason to give him codeine, since he's already on tramadol which is stronger, and they are both opioid analgesics. 1-800-petmeds lists tramadol dose as .45-1.8 mg per pound of pet's weight given by mouth every 8-12 hours. I don't think tramadol will interact with the hemp oil except for additive depression of his central nervous system. Sort of like drinking and taking narcotics at same time, so if you are giving both just monitor him for shallow breathing.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't see any reason to give him codeine, since he's already on tramadol which is stronger, and they are both opioid analgesics. 1-800-petmeds lists tramadol dose as .45-1.8 mg per pound of pet's weight given by mouth every 8-12 hours. I don't think tramadol will interact with the hemp oil except for additive depression of his central nervous system. Sort of like drinking and taking narcotics at same time, so if you are giving both just monitor him for shallow breathing.

Jax is not on Tramadol, he was before the surgery but after the surgery he got switched to codeine.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Jax is not on Tramadol, he was before the surgery but after the surgery he got switched to codeine.

Im lost...lol you mentioned "want to get the codeine on the same schedule as his other drugs" so why I asked what's his other meds. :)

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Im lost...lol you mentioned "want to get the codeine on the same schedule as his other drugs" so why I asked what's his other meds. :)

He's codeine for pain as well as Gabapentin, Trazodone and Rimadyl (this is for one week and in the am with breakfast). The codeine got off schedule as they were giving it to him every 6 hours instead of every 8 as was the original plan. So now I have the codeine, Gabapentin and Trazodone all being given at the same time which is okay to do. Dollysowner mentioned him being on Tramadol which he is not. I gave him the CBD oil when he was supposed to have gotten a codeine pill so that I can push the codeine pill out a couple hours without him being uncomfortable.

Members online

No members online now.