How do I determine Rangers ideal weight??

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Almost everyone that sees him immediately comments "he's huge!" Or "he's how old and weighs what??" I don't think he looks big at all. I actually think compared to seeing some of your precious babies he's on the small side. He's only 12 inches tall and weighs 47lbs. He will be one year old on July 4th. Our vet says "he's big but he's just a bully" so she isn't concerned. I would just like to know for my peace of mind that I'm not making him over weight or unhealthy. Also, he isn't neutered (if that makes a difference)
His parents are big. I think his dad was somewhere around 70lbs
2ccc9c8c08c5add040d6ab2499dc9961.png

His mom was somewhere around 50lbs
ba4c20f1060ef7b93a545781363501c4.png

My sweet boy at 47lbs
feea659fb2ea7c793802b15be0efffc5.jpg
d8a079f87b6b685dff84c4da113272eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

B770QE

Feb 7, 2016
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I don't know what an ideal weight would be, but he doesn't look too big to me. And if the vet isn't concerned, I definitely would not be either. He's a handsome fella!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I am no expert but....He looks perfect to me!
How Do you keep him so white? Bella constantly finds any mud (well mostly clay here in Georgia) in the back yard so her white paws are so hard to keep clean. Thank goodness she is not all white! (Because then she would be orange!)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Your boy isn't fat even a little bit. He has defined waist, tummy isn't hanging. He is absolutely perfect. And I thought, fat shaming now is a big no-no?!...Let's start "Stop fat shaming bulldogs!" :yes:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Like others have already noted, Ranger is just right for a 1 year old. I always look for the lateral dip just in front of the hind legs. If that's not present, then the dog should shed weight until it is. Keep on doing what you are doing.
I envy Ranger...he gets to take a lot more boat rides than I do.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I think he's beautiful, as a matter of fact my girl Joey is weighing in at 52 lbs....YIKES....

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I think he looks great! And I would assume your vet would tell you if he needed to lose weight. By the way, the AKC standard for show dogs is 50 pounds for male.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka Fran aka Mama Beans
Iiterally have no experience on this. Just wanted to say I think he is so cute ! My pup is 3 months and she weighs 20lbs soooooo I don't think there's anything shocking about his size. I want my girl to be a lil nugget like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16788]Ranger777[/MENTION] I think he is perfect! Take a look at some good breeder's dogs on the internet. He is just as nice (or nicer) than some of them! All EBD's seem to be different in size! I have 3, 2 out of the same parents, and they are all different! YOu can not listen to the the "generic" judges-some who have never even seen an EBD!! If you want to show him-speak to a REAL judge!!

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
I don't know what an ideal weight would be, but he doesn't look too big to me. And if the vet isn't concerned, I definitely would not be either. He's a handsome fella!

Thank you!

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
I am no expert but....He looks perfect to me!
How Do you keep him so white? Bella constantly finds any mud (well mostly clay here in Georgia) in the back yard so her white paws are so hard to keep clean. Thank goodness she is not all white! (Because then she would be orange!)
[MENTION=16776]Hceril[/MENTION] I get asked that by so many people and my honest answer is, I have no idea! Lol. We live in East Texas and on a ranch so when he's outside it's in the pasture (not much dirt) or he swims in the lakes a lot but I always use wipes to clean him well anytime he comes in from outside. We use these:
cf420884fe11fc432e86f4b37aec5bcc.jpg

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
[MENTION=16776]Hceril[/MENTION] I get asked that by so many people and my honest answer is, I have no idea! Lol. We live in East Texas and on a ranch so when he's outside it's in the pasture (not much dirt) or he swims in the lakes a lot but I always use wipes to clean him well anytime he comes in from outside. We use these:
cf420884fe11fc432e86f4b37aec5bcc.jpg

We have mostly grass, really not much dirt or clay but she can find it! What she really loves is the mud. LOL

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16776]Hceril[/MENTION] Don't "rich" people pay alot to go have "mud baths?"

Members online

No members online now.