Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: Surrendering our pets.

  1. #1
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,890
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6104

    Default Surrendering our pets.

    I have to admit I "use" to be one of them to judge pet owners surrendering their furry friend. I was younger and learned that life can hit you with "curve balls." Or life can get in our way at times which you just cant do much about it than go with the flow. Ive seen and heard all sorts how we can judge, get mad or pissed off at owners that have to surrender their pets. We just have to remember one thing "before" we go Errrrrgggggggg, Arrrggg, , well you get my drift... Most cases, is usually owners have "no" choice. Example some elders need to go in nursing homes which wont allow animals or they are too sick to take care of their fur ball, we can rescue a pet but realized the rescue shelters didn't know more on the pet than you. You bring it home and it just doesn't fit in with children or other pets which you had before getting the rescue. You cant get rid of your kids or other pets that was there before the rescue. You try for weeks, months and some for years and it can just take a tole one you. You sure dont want to endangered "anyone" in the family especially a child. Some realize they just cant afford a pet with the vet bills, feeding them because of all the allergies and so on. Or you lost your job especially these days. And yes you can get the odd ones that shouldn't get any pets period! But most of the time, there is always a sad and good reason why we have to surrender our pets. We humans need to think before judging. So that's my 2 cents worth.

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    39,953
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11309

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Well said, and for the record. We do our best to ensure 'judging' does not take place in the forum.... we are here to help and educate (have fun too) so if you see this happening... please contact a moderator via PM to alert them to the issue and we will address it.

    thanks
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. Likes JennieS, ddnene, RiiSi, TooTooMommy liked this post
  4. #3
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,642
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3516

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Professionalism in rescue is paramount. Regardless of the reason for surrender, we assume that a lot of thought has gone into the decision long before we get the call. It is our job to take in the animal in need and find it a more appropriate home so that it can thrive. Do what's right for the Bulldog! That is our only concern.

    saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

  5. Likes 2BullyMama, RiiSi, TooTooMommy liked this post
  6. #4
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,498
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    1746

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    I am assuming this thread is in response to my 'aargh' in my post about the bulldog that was surrendered. I will say that the shelter in question is a high kill shelter and owner surrender dogs are usually the first to be put down. As it is a pure bred bulldog, hopefully that would never happen and a rescue is on the case. I will say 'aargh' everytime I hear about a dog, any dog, that is placed in a high kill shelter and I make no apologies for it.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #5
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,623
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2113

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Awesome post Helene, I can't give you any reputation because I already did and it won't let me give anymore at this time, but your words are so true. We should never judge anyone, we haven't walked in their shoes. There are so many reasons that someone has to surrender their pet, health, illness, money, financial, housing, etc. It can't be an easy decision, and I'm sure it's a very emotional and heart wrenching choice to make, and one that most people will struggle with. Most people will do anything to keep their pets, but sometimes circumstances are beyond their control, and then it's better for the animal to be rehomed. Of course there are always exceptions to this and there are the irresponsible or neglectful owners who just walk away because the pet is no longer a puppy or cute, they were neglectful and the animal is now sick, etc, but in these cases the animal is better off without that owner, and gets a second chance when it's rescued.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  9. Likes helsonwheels, TooTooMommy liked this post
  10. #6
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,890
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6104

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    I am assuming this thread is in response to my 'aargh' in my post about the bulldog that was surrendered. I will say that the shelter in question is a high kill shelter and owner surrender dogs are usually the first to be put down. As it is a pure bred bulldog, hopefully that would never happen and a rescue is on the case. I will say 'aargh' everytime I hear about a dog, any dog, that is placed in a high kill shelter and I make no apologies for it.
    No not at all. Was reading an article and it reminded me when I had to put down my GS. I was judged and still as these 2 member of the family looks at me like Im the " bad person" People had NO clue having a 115lbs GS for 8yrs always on a mission to attack and new target was children, well Im judged. I miss him. Will always miss him even to this day while typing this I have tears. But I know I'm a responsible human being and it had to be done. I would never forgive myself if I have my back turned for that one second and he attacked a child. So no was thinking of me. People should never judge unless you're in their shoes.

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

  11. #7
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Ftse 100's Avatar
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Location
    Qld Australia
    Posts
    6,743
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1904

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    No not at all. Was reading an article and it reminded me when I had to put down my GS. I was judged and still as these 2 member of the family looks at me like Im the " bad person" People had NO clue having a 115lbs GS for 8yrs always on a mission to attack and new target was children, well Im judged. I miss him. Will always miss him even to this day while typing this I have tears. But I know I'm a responsible human being and it had to be done. I would never forgive myself if I have my back turned for that one second and he attacked a child. So no was thinking of me. People should never judge unless you're in their shoes.

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
    i do agree with you Helen, so many really dont have a choice but there are still a lot who wants the cute puppy when the cute puppy grows they no longer want so easy done dump up or give them away, which is so sad those people are not nice and I would aargh at those people without a doubt but then on the other hand when in the situation you were with your GS I would feel for you and understand why.

  12. Likes helsonwheels, TooTooMommy liked this post
  13. #8
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,642
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3516

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    ...it reminded me when I had to put down my GS.
    It takes great strength to do the right thing when that time comes...for the benefit of all concerned.

    saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

  14. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,498
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    1746

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    I help out when I can with a rescue here in Houston and I get several posts a day about animals abandoned or dumped in shelters here, where they are ALL kill shelters. It breaks my heart that I can't help them. I too have had to give up a beloved pet but she didn't go to a kill shelter as it would have meant almost certain death. If you have a dangerous dog than that is a completely different story and I can only say how sorry I am for what you had to go through.
    There are just too many irresponsible owners in this world unfortunately and it really p****s me off.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  15. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama, TooTooMommy liked this post
  16. #10
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,890
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6104

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ftse 100 View Post
    i do agree with you Helen, so many really dont have a choice but there are still a lot who wants the cute puppy when the cute puppy grows they no longer want so easy done dump up or give them away, which is so sad those people are not nice and I would aargh at those people without a doubt but then on the other hand when in the situation you were with your GS I would feel for you and understand why.
    Like we all know, some people are just plain stupid. (im very direct. Did i ever mentiomed that lol) They see a cute puppy and buys it without thinking what's going to follow. Like kids when parents buy bunnies or baby chicks at Easter time or anytime. Unless you want to fatten them up and put them in a stew later on I get it. JUST KIDDING!!!!!! we all know as a fact kids will not take care of any pets eventually. Mom n dad will get stuck doing the job. So yes before buying any pet no matter what you want as a pet, we need to educate our children and especially the adult. It's ok to say "no" in life.

  17. Likes Ftse 100, 2BullyMama, TooTooMommy liked this post
  18. #11
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2727

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    I have to admit I "use" to be one of them to judge pet owners surrendering their furry friend. I was younger and learned that life can hit you with "curve balls." Or life can get in our way at times which you just cant do much about it than go with the flow. Ive seen and heard all sorts how we can judge, get mad or pissed off at owners that have to surrender their pets. We just have to remember one thing "before" we go Errrrrgggggggg, Arrrggg, , well you get my drift... Most cases, is usually owners have "no" choice. Example some elders need to go in nursing homes which wont allow animals or they are too sick to take care of their fur ball, we can rescue a pet but realized the rescue shelters didn't know more on the pet than you. You bring it home and it just doesn't fit in with children or other pets which you had before getting the rescue. You cant get rid of your kids or other pets that was there before the rescue. You try for weeks, months and some for years and it can just take a tole one you. You sure dont want to endangered "anyone" in the family especially a child. Some realize they just cant afford a pet with the vet bills, feeding them because of all the allergies and so on. Or you lost your job especially these days. And yes you can get the odd ones that shouldn't get any pets period! But most of the time, there is always a sad and good reason why we have to surrender our pets. We humans need to think before judging. So that's my 2 cents worth.

    Well said, Helene, thank you!

    Yes, life does a great job of educating & humbling a person as it goes on.

    As human beings, we are judgmental but if we are lucky, we learn that is
    wrong to do. Going thru tragedies & losses is awful but it teaches us to be
    compassionate and have kindness & empathy for others and to weep with
    them in their losses and celebrate in their joys. We are all human beings
    and the SAME under our skins with the same hopes & dreams.

    I think adopting our pets out when we can no longer care for them or for
    the greater good of the pack or for whatever reason FOR THE BETTERMENT
    of the animal, is very loving, very courageous and such a difficult thing to do.

    Same for single, human mothers deciding to give their newborns a chance for
    a better life that they can't yet provide them. I can't imagine anything harder.


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  19. #12
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,303
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3154

    Default Re: Surrendering our pets.

    Well said , as you know out the 5 dogs we have here 4 are saves and have had many saves before this bunch .
    I have been lucky enough to find a good rescue shelter that does what they say and really before adoption know what they are dealing with each dog , I refuse to use the SPCA due to a bulldog I got years ago , she had a puppy born on the kitchen floor 3 days after she arrive , they as they say have a vet check the animals ..... They did not know it was pregnant some vet !
    I agree tho you still not know how the dog will fit in and when you have a pack of them it truly is a guess so far I have lucked out Odin and Dakota ( two males ) can get into it and fixed or not spray once and a while , work in progress .
    I get more dogs from indian reserves as they breed them to make money then loose interest and decide to cull the dogs and shoot them or run them over like they did to Nelli , It cost the rescue a small fortune to fly her out and then remove her leg and shoulder , fix her and hope she survived . I got her 6 weeks after the operation to rehab her , build her up due to blood loss and get her on her 3 feet again and she was worth every single penny she truly is one of those once and a life time dogs amazing animal.
    I take the giving up our animals post on a individual basis , I do not have time for people that do not want to put the effort in a rescue , if you think you are getting a normal house ready dog you a idiot they have baggage take it from Me , better yet leave your home and family go sit in a cage for however it takes for someone to notice you , you might have to go threw a few of those kinds of visits , GL with that ............ and do not kill the Kill Shelters ..........
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

  20. Likes 2BullyMama, TooTooMommy, Texas Carol liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •