Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you decide to opt for nare and soft palate surgery?

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How did you decide to opt for nare and soft palate surgery?

We had our Wheezie's nares done about 2 years ago because she barely had nose slits hence her name.lol We got it done and all was well until she kept licking her nose and she dissolved her stitches to soon,so it was restitched with a local and she didn't love that at all.She breathes better now but not 100% ,I've considered doing it again for her quality of life.So be sure to ask for super duper stitches.lol

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

good stuff right here Hank just went in to get hairs plucked from his lids and the jughead needed to be (relaxed,, cant think of the word) so while he was in that state, the dr checked his soft palate etc soooooooooooooooo, at that time. We now know we will go ahead with palate, and nares as anything that will help his comfort (he/we LOVE to play and walk) and will get etropian (how the heck ya spell that) as well. We now are waiting for hairs to come back some for accurate surgery.. three in one :/ He's such a precious boy, as all are, but he's mine and will do my best to do what is good for him..

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, Kash, Strikes, and Stella
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

If nares are narrow, get them fixed when any other surgery is being done. If extremely narrow then get them done right away. If he's a candidate for Palate surgery then, if needed, do them at the same time. Enlarged palate is usually easy to ID. When the patient is hot and panting there will be a pronounced rumble(sounds like a loud snore) in their breathing. It gets worse with age as the tissue stretches and more blocks the airway. Any Vet should be able to tell for sure with a visual check. This is a surgery for a seasoned Bully vet, IMO...and requires diligent post-op observation by the owner. I recommend light meals of soft food for a couple of days after surgery. Recovery is quick.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

6. Likes Manydogs, cefe13, Hankster liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    If nares are narrow, get them fixed when any other surgery is being done. If extremely narrow then get them done right away. If he's a candidate for Palate surgery then, if needed, do them at the same time. Enlarged palate is usually easy to ID. When the patient is hot and panting there will be a pronounced rumble(sounds like a loud snore) in their breathing. It gets worse with age as the tissue stretches and more blocks the airway. Any Vet should be able to tell for sure with a visual check. This is a surgery for a seasoned Bully vet, IMO...and requires diligent post-op observation by the owner. I recommend light meals of soft food for a couple of days after surgery. Recovery is quick.
    Aww thank you,, I was going to ask about recovery time. Hanks vet has been at it for 35 years with Bulldogs and is highly recommended.. complete confidence in him… But still scary. Only thing I didn't ask him is… Is it better sooner than later as he doesn't have "problems" that are super noticeable but said he was a definite candidate. It gets real hot where I'm at, and he gets really excited at times… I just wouldn't want to chance losing him over something that could've been prevented.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

We have had 4 eye surgeries plus other procedures with our OEB Abbott for entropion and cherry eye.We did the cutting out of the lashes after his first few surgeries but it was a waste of time and money.He is on his 9th week of acl surgery recovery so I'm right there with you..lol

Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christie H View Post
    We have had 4 eye surgeries plus other procedures with our OEB Abbott for entropion and cherry eye.We did the cutting out of the lashes after his first few surgeries but it was a waste of time and money.He is on his 9th week of acl surgery recovery so I'm right there with you..lol

Im Interested in "the cutting out of lashes" being a waste of money? As in, they came back or???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads