Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: using the bathroom in the house.

Real Name
    Polly
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: using the bathroom in the house.

Pork potties in the house even though there is a doggie door. I took him out every morning before work and before bed. For 3 years. My neighbor kept him for 4 days while I was out of town. No accidents at her house. He went 6 mos without any puddles so I figured he was 'fixed' and replaced 14 yr old carpets. Well, poo. He started it all over again. Today I bought a baby gate and he'll be relegated to the basement with the doggie door when I'm at work. Pork was not trained when I got him at 1.5 yrs but from what I've read, his behavior isn't unusual. I don't want him crated 10 hrs while I'm at work.

2. Likes 2BullyMama, codered, helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Cody
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Nope...not giving you a pass, Cody, to complain or be frustrated with Diamond.

Sounds like she's had a hard life, neglected and with lots of physical problems
    and maybe, mental ones. AND...she's in a new place, new people and probably
    never potty trained. Did you really expect miracles?

There are excellent articles under Forums & these kind members will be sharing
    their helpful training tips so CHILL and work patiently, kindly & calmly with her.
    I'm amazed that Diamond is doing even half as great as she is, especially as she's
    a bulldog, not feeling well, etc. Count your lucky stars!

I'll share my tips too but am just too damned sad for several losses this week of
    my friends here, I love these bullies almost as if they were mine and know how
    deeply these dear friends & families are hurting.

Diamond is doing a wonderful job of dealing with so much and all at once. Please
    honor her and give her credit, nothing comes easy or overnight.
    you have a point carol, i was expecting miracles. and i am lucky. well i crate trained her and she doesn't do it. now there are times were i get home and go to bed and she pees and poops in the house. shame on me for being a bad owner. she's also marking her territory because my cousins brought their dog and i get worked up. but then i remember that it's a terriotorial thing. this is still a learning experience for me. i am a first time dog owner and learning from trial and error.

sent from my brick using clay
    You can follow me on
    Instagram: redcody318

4. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol, helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Cody
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by penguinspam View Post
    I'm not sure how house broken Betty was in her previous house. We have a shaggy rug in our living room which she kept peeing on, I think she thinks it looks like grass (we visited friends with her who have the same rug in a different colour and she did the same thing!). We've covered it with her blanket now which helps. When we're out she stays in our kitchen with her crate in with her and she hasn't ever had an accident in there. But yesterday morning she decided to pee on her blanket in the middle of the living room even though she'd been for a walk an hour before and peed twice! She doesn't really ask to go outside so we just take her out every couple of hours and see if she has to go, then if she does, lots of praise. It's frustrating, but it's just one of those things, worse things than cleaning a bit of dog pee I suppose! I would get cleaner specifically for pet stains that has enzymes in it so that Diamond can't smell where's she's gone before.
    thank you for the advice do you have any recomendations? we have a rug doctor and i use pinesol.

You can follow me on

Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Okay, I feel the pain. When we got Frith, she had a UTI...undiagnosed for the first two weeks in our house. She just squatted and let loose. That also taught her to poopanywhere too. After much research and tears and hair pulling. Kennel training was impossible, she learned to pee in her bed.

So, the site said we needed to take her back to square one. perfectly clean fenced off puppy place with papers on the floor and a clean sleeping place. This was to train that sleeping in clean place was good, and that there were specific poop places. We retrained as if she was a two week puppy new to pooping. It took about three weeks, but we got her to ubderstand theconcept.

Then she would walk to the door and wait, she gave us about ten seconds at first. She gives us more time now, but we need to really be aware of her. She still leaves presents by the door, but they are always by the door. Currently we are working on teaching her to ring the bell--its not going so well. We are just supposed to know.

Good luck.
    Fritthy

7. Likes codered liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by codered View Post
    thank you for the advice do you have any recomendations? we have a rug doctor and i use pinesol.

get Nature's miracle or Odoban .... they remove the smell of urine. Pinesol is just covering it up
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

9. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Cody
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    get Nature's miracle or Odoban .... they remove the smell of urine. Pinesol is just covering it up
    thank you mam i apperciate it.

You can follow me on

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Default using the bathroom in the house.

We couldn't crate train curly because we lived in SoCal and it was just too hot in the summer/he was growing so rapidly he was hot all the time so we had to be creative - and fortunately I work remotely and had the convenience to do this:
    1. We got a plastic pool and lined it with pee pads. This was where he was suppose to go if we were able to rush him down three flights of stairs outside.
    2. We took him out every hour for about 15 minutes. If he peed or pooed outside he got a treat (never got a treat if he was inside)
    3. Whenever we were out of the house we put him in a room that had tile floor (kitchen, bathroom) with his plastic pool and his bed. He wanted to pee/poop on a surface that had texture - think grass or carpet, so he naturally started going in the pool.
    4. If he ever made a mistake in the house we just cleaned it up and didn't make any big deal about it. But again big deals were made with treats when he did go outside

I hope these tips help if you decided not to Kennel Diamond but if can kennel her, it is absolutely the easiest way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

13. Likes 2BullyMama, codered liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Vinegar and water! Wash all blankets.

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Mandy
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty
    Likes (Received)

Well, we ended up packing our rug away after I spent a weekend soaking it in vinegar and letting it dry in the sun. Brought it inside and Betty peed on it within 10 minutes. And what do you know, not an accident in the house for the 2 weeks the rug has been gone. Maybe someday we can have it again. It really tied the room together Good luck with Diamond @codered Sounds like the crate training is helping.
    ~Mom to Betty since 02/02/2016~
    Follow Betty the Bulldog on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/betty.the.bully/

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by codered View Post

Like @2BullyMama said pinesol is just a cover up. Vinegar and water will get rid of all traces and it's cheap. Also, me personally, I would ask your cousin not to bring his dog till Diamond is potty trained. Go meet your cousin in a park or go for walks together so the dogs dont fight as you mentioned. Walking them both on leashes for now will help both dogs not to fight as their energy is spent on walking. Eventually both dogs will respect each other. This can take a while. Its not just a couple weeks and they are fine. Takes much longer and avoids dog fighting and respect towards humans n dogs.

19. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Cody
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nubonics View Post
    We couldn't crate train curly because we lived in SoCal and it was just too hot in the summer/he was growing so rapidly he was hot all the time so we had to be creative - and fortunately I work remotely and had the convenience to do this:
    1. We got a plastic pool and lined it with pee pads. This was where he was suppose to go if we were able to rush him down three flights of stairs outside.
    2. We took him out every hour for about 15 minutes. If he peed or pooed outside he got a treat (never got a treat if he was inside)
    3. Whenever we were out of the house we put him in a room that had tile floor (kitchen, bathroom) with his plastic pool and his bed. He wanted to pee/poop on a surface that had texture - think grass or carpet, so he naturally started going in the pool.
    4. If he ever made a mistake in the house we just cleaned it up and didn't make any big deal about it. But again big deals were made with treats when he did go outside

I hope these tips help if you decided not to Kennel Diamond but if can kennel her, it is absolutely the easiest way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wow south cali i live in the FL panhandle so i'm guessing it's similar but not sure. My parents would be pissed and take it out on me and that would drive me up the wall. training diamond would've been more peaceful without their mouths but that's nothing i can't do.

You can follow me on

Real Name
    Cody
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diamond
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Like @2BullyMama said pinesol is just a cover up. Vinegar and water will get rid of all traces and it's cheap. Also, me personally, I would ask your cousin not to bring his dog till Diamond is potty trained. Go meet your cousin in a park or go for walks together so the dogs dont fight as you mentioned. Walking them both on leashes for now will help both dogs not to fight as their energy is spent on walking. Eventually both dogs will respect each other. This can take a while. Its not just a couple weeks and they are fine. Takes much longer and avoids dog fighting and respect towards humans n dogs.
    well we have to because their mother is in the hospital. diamond is potty trained as of lately it's been my fault because i'll forget to take her out. the dogs don't fight anymore but diamond sniffs her and my cousin's dog growls at diamond. yesterday in my deep southern voice i said stop it and they stopped it. Success! yay!

You can follow me on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads