I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Dog Food Storage

I am having a reoccurring issue with my dog food.

I buy Nature's Variety Instinct in the 23.5 pound bag. We usually go through a bag in around a month or so, maybe a little longer.

I put the food, right after I buy it, in airtight plastic containers. I am strict about keeping the containers closed and I clean them in between every bag. I keep the plastic containers off the ground, on a shelf.

Despite this, I am STILL getting these yucky inch worm looking bugs in the bottom of the food!

How does everyone else store their food? Do you think the food is coming to me with bugs (or bug's eggs) in it? I have been trying to check the bag better for any kind of pinholes or anything but I'm wondering if anyone has a similar problem or any tips on food storage.

Thank you!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dog Food Storage

I keep our dog food (as you know same kind) in an airtight container as well and I have never had a problem. Sorry I don't have nything to suggest because it sounds like you are doing everything right.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Mike Blaylock
    Bulldog(s) Names
    SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
    Likes (Received)

Are you storing it in the house or on the back porch? I have a 30 gallon trash can that is PVC and has a screw tight lid on the top. I store it in the basement. I never have had that issue and it usually takes Duke about three weeks to eat 30 lbs. He eats Nature's Receipe no grain. I'm wondering where you buy it at also along with your local climate. Some stores don't move dog food as well as others. They maybe cheaper buying the food there........but the question is........is it fresh? In dry arrid areas it is possible for flys to find their way into storage bags faster than in other climates.
    So I'd check expiration dates if possible, and try another vendor source.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm, I buy the same food as you and store it the same way as you, I have never had worms/bugs, I do look every time I get him a scoop.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Could be that the containers have (microscopic) eggs in them too- and add a bit of moisture (from the food) that causes them to hatch. Do you have this problem with anything else in your home, like flour, rice, pasta, ect? Try storing the food in a different room than you are storing it now, and clean the heck out of it and dry it well before your next bag. I would also contact your food provider and let them know of the issue. It could have to do with your distributor.

I tried 4 bags of NVI and never had an issue.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

i dont store, actually need to though, just keep ours in a bag in the laundry room never had any problems
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking the same as desertsky make sure you do a BIG clean on your container. I would wash it out and even use bleach to sterilize it all then wash it again after to make sure the bleach is gone. I also store my food in big plastic screw top containers in my garage and have never had a problem. Maybe you got 1 bag that was bad and it left the residue of the bugs in the container for the next bag?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Frany Stein and Boris Karloff
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I store my foods ( I have 2 different kinds) 40lb bags, in air tight containers and not had a problem, butI do know some people who have.... they have to store it in their freezer.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

How interesting. Yesterday as I was emptying a bag of food into the container..I was thinking "I wonder how everyone else stores their dog food"? I store unopened bags in the garage on a shelf. The opened bag I put into one of those dog food containers. I keep about a weeks rations in an airtight container on top of the fridge. I don't know if the storage container in the garage is air tight or not. They are marketed for dog food storage.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

I keep mine in a plastic storage container and never had any problems. However once I bought catfood, and when it was opened it was full of those wormy things...eww!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

i store but's food in its original bag inside of a big storage container. i'm in the same climate as you so i will be sure to keep a closer eye on it. as of yet we have had no wormies though.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I pour the bag of fromm straight into a plastic storage container. I do make sure that I thoroughly wash out the container in between bags, and I actually sterilise it too with a spray that is safe to use in kitchens and on work surfaces.

I'm wondering the same as a lot of the others who have posted before me. Maybe there are still eggs in the container from the previous bag. You might want to really sterilise the container the lid and whatever you use to scoop it out with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads