Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Eating poop

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    41
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hercules
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Eating poop

    Why is my dog suddenly eating his poop? He's 6 months old and eats fromms if that matters


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11539

    Default Re: Eating poop

    UGH.... Most times, they start this and then stop just as fast, but other times it can be because they still smell the 'food' and not the poo. I tagged a few people that might be able to give some suggestions
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #3
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,330
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3194

    Default Re: Eating poop

    Mine only eat it when frozen , conaseurs i guess
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

  4. #4
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,652
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6688

    Default Re: Eating poop

    @kenc87 No one really knows why they eat their poop.Some dogs never do it. Sometimes they just "discover it" something new. They'll give theories=but no real answers. One of mine who is two will get caught occasionally eating someone else's poop,but not her own.I clean the yard everyday,but sometimes she finds a "fresh"one. I chase her with the shovel,and she doesn't do it much anymore!(not much of a professional solution-but it worked!) I had a Belgian Malanois,whom my husband and I rescued out of a bad situation.He ate his poop,but I think because he had been starved. Whenever he came in the house,I would smell his breath.If I smelled poop I would say"you ate poop?! Then I would get his toothbrush with reg.toothpaste, and brush his teeth. He hated toothpaste,and after 3 times, he never ate poop again! Wonder what's in toothpaste-that he'd like poop better!?
    There are commercial things that you can buy in pet stores that are supposed to stop it,or they say put paprika in their food. Best way to stop it is (if you can) stand their with him and pick it right up.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  6. #5
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,330
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3194

    Default Re: Eating poop

    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @kenc87 No one really knows why they eat their poop.Some dogs never do it. Sometimes they just "discover it" something new. They'll give theories=but no real answers. One of mine who is two will get caught occasionally eating someone else's poop,but not her own.I clean the yard everyday,but sometimes she finds a "fresh"one. I chase her with the shovel,and she doesn't do it much anymore!(not much of a professional solution-but it worked!) I had a Belgian Malanois,whom my husband and I rescued out of a bad situation.He ate his poop,but I think because he had been starved. Whenever he came in the house,I would smell his breath.If I smelled poop I would say"you ate poop?! Then I would get his toothbrush with reg.toothpaste, and brush his teeth. He hated toothpaste,and after 3 times, he never ate poop again! Wonder what's in toothpaste-that he'd like poop better!?
    There are commercial things that you can buy in pet stores that are supposed to stop it,or they say put paprika in their food. Best way to stop it is (if you can) stand their with him and pick it right up.
    I have heard many reasons for it, something missing in there diet is the biggest one , Funny mine only eat it when frozen and they could care less who,s it was of of the four dogs , I have asked my vet and she says some dogs stop , some dogs you can never get too stop , She did find it NEW that Mine will only eat it when frozen .
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

  7. #6
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    41
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hercules
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: Eating poop

    Lol well I guess we will just try to keep a close eye on him. He seems to do it only when he has an accident in the house and then eats it to hide it I guess. It's made it hard to determine if he's having accidents though since he eats it... He had been doing perfect until this so we will see if it subsides


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #7
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Eating poop

    Quote Originally Posted by natski282 View Post
    I have heard many reasons for it, something missing in there diet is the biggest one , Funny mine only eat it when frozen and they could care less who,s it was of of the four dogs , I have asked my vet and she says some dogs stop , some dogs you can never get too stop , She did find it NEW that Mine will only eat it when frozen .
    Kind of like a Popsicle--yum! I don't think anyone really know why some dogs do it. I had a boxer who did it for a while and then stopped. It was super gross because after she would eat it, she'd come in the house and throw up on the rug! I think for a while, I was super good about cleaning up the poops right away. Then once she stopped, she never did it again. There is something you can put in their food, but I didn't do that because I would have had to feed it to all 3 dogs.

  10. #8
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,330
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3194

    Default Re: Eating poop

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Kind of like a Popsicle--yum! I don't think anyone really know why some dogs do it. I had a boxer who did it for a while and then stopped. It was super gross because after she would eat it, she'd come in the house and throw up on the rug! I think for a while, I was super good about cleaning up the poops right away. Then once she stopped, she never did it again. There is something you can put in their food, but I didn't do that because I would have had to feed it to all 3 dogs.
    So far been lucky well think I am lucky they do not puke it up but they do want to kiss Me NOT cool and not happening !!
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •