Thread: Bulldog help

Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Bulldog help

I am new to this site but I could really use some help. My poor baby has bad allergies. We have her on the new medicine apaquel but she is still losing fur. She has the scab spots all over her again. I was wondering if anyone else has the same issues and if so what kind of dog food do you use. I am feeding her beaver dam grain free, it's the Eli's select. I am so scared to try other brands but I think we need to try something. So if any one has any suggestions I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldog help

What is the protein source in the food? Seems that many bullies have problems with chicken. I haven't heard of that food. I use TOTW pacific salmon. Many people here use FROMM's On the Home page is a link to Bulldog Food and Nutrition .
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

It has chicken meal as the first ingredient. I will check out the Fromm. Thank you very much.

Real Name
    Olivia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Belle
    Likes (Received)

Hello and welcome! A lot of bulldog owners use Fromm...just make sure you get a grain free flavor. My girl has allergies too and we use Earthborne Holistic. She does very well on it and her coat is finally shiny with no bald spots. Good luck!
    "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”
    ― Charles de Gaulle

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! I am sorry to hear about Bella's bad allergies. We had to try about four or five different foods before we settled on one that works for Frank and doesn't aggravate his allergies. We feed Fromm 4-Star Game Bird (Frank is one of the few bulldogs who doesn't seem to have a chicken allergy) and Salmon Tunalini. Both are grain free. We have learned that Frank doesn't do well with lamb, so we stay away from that. He also gets two 25mg benedryl in the morning and at night.

I think some members have had allergy tests done on their bulldogs, to pinpoint exactly what they are allergic to. I do know that allergy season seems to be particularly bad right now.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

Potty Trainer
    Country
    Nottinghamshire
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Patch, Amy & Darcy
    Likes (Received)

We use royal canin bulldog and Dr johns sensitive, we rescued two bulldogs who wasn't in very good condition and had really bad skin conditions and they suffer from this and allergies, my mother had them off of me and they had injections from the vets for the skin conditions, but they are fed james wellbeloved and they look amazing, she has had no problems with them since, if this helps.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
    It has chicken meal as the first ingredient. I will check out the Fromm. Thank you very much.

yep, I would def just switch the protein. Since you are already on grain free that's great. When you are looking for another protein, please read the label for the ingredients very closely. You will find that alot of dog foods contain several proteins, and even if the bag is labeled "beef" - when you go read it could also contain chicken. So read the ingredients! Make sure there is no chicken, and see how she does on that. Also, a good medicated bath could help soothe the spots she already has.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
    yes, get a new higher quality food.... taste of the Wild, Fromm, Orijen, The Honest Kitchen are a few that many her have suggest with.... try to avoid grains and chicken, they are too big common issues
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Thank you very much for all your help. We are switching over to taste of the wild pacific. They had a lot of good reviews. Hopefully all goes well with the switch which we will do slowly. I don't see it being a issue cause this bully eats anything.

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads