Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help...Niko STINKS!

Default Re: Help...Niko STINKS!

Aww your poor baby. I'd go to a grain free food as others have recommended. We've had good luck with Canidae Salmon /Grain Free but each bully is different. Also, once you thoroughly clean and dry the wrinkles you can put Gold Bond powder (yellow bottle, not blue) on a (new / clean) blush brush and dab it into the face fold so that it keeps it extra dry. Same under the tail.

Best of luck to you!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

chaos doesn't stink, yet, but lots of good advice I will keep this in mind

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

When I found this site I had Maggie on Beneful because I knew no better .... we also had a problem with Maggie's immune system but apart from that she had no problems with smells on the face although her tear stains were pretty bad. We had the occasional ear infection too which was a yeast infection.

Our change to food was mainly guided by the need to boost the immune system, and getting rid of the ear infections, and tear stains was a welcome addition to this. With @Lindathedogsmaid guidance we switched Maggie to Fromm 4* range of foods .. the salmon n' Veg one because salmon is so good for the immune system. I can not praise Fromm highly enough ... I love this food. She is like a different dog. I have read somewhere to NOT put them on a grain free food UNTIL you know for sure they have an allergy to grain. So my suggestion would be first to get your bully on to a good food first and go from there.

After praising FROMM so highly I do have to pass on one piece of information that I only just experienced. To avoid your bully having an allergy to any one protein source it is advised to switch proteins within the range of food we're using. So from the Fromm 4* range we've had the salmon, duck, whitefish, pork, and chicken. It wasn't until we had them on the chicken that I suddenly noticed that Maggie's face was starting to smell really bad, and her breath could make you pass-out!! It would appear, after reading through some past threads on here, that Bullys are often allergic to chicken and so I'm convinced that's what it was. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it ... the bag of chicken was almost finished and so we've moved back on to the salmon again with this new bag. Maybe we discovered Maggie's allergy to chicken a little to late though as we are now battling interdigital cysts which I've posted about in another thread on here. Apparently, the cause of interdigital cysts are unknown but there have been a lot of links to allergies so I'm inclined to blame these on the chicken flavour too!!

Real Name
    Mike Blaylock
    Bulldog(s) Names
    SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
    Likes (Received)

Definitely the food allergies. This causes yeast infrctions in the ears and wrinkles. You need a grain free dog food. Duke is on Nature's Choice grain free.
    He was on Eukabana grain free but I can't find that in any of the stores any more. You also need an anti-yeast shampoo. Have a great day.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

As you see, there are lots of people here who can help with whatever questions you have. I haven't had these problems with my girls, but then I found this site right after I brought my first Bully puppy home. Take the advise being given, and you'll soon be over all these problems. Good luck!

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Presley
    Likes (Received)

Well I have done with you guys have said. I switched his food and am trying Taste of the Wild Salmon. Second I took him to the vet. He had gone to the groomers two days before that and didnt stink as bad which was probably dumb on my part since she said she couldnt smell him. Maybe I should have invited her over to the house haha...and then I had some other tech come in and try to educate me and tell me all bulldogs smell, that he was a dog with wrinkles...wow hey everyone did you know bulldogs are dogs with wrinkles!!! UGH!!!!....anyways...I pressed the issue and she gave me antifungal shampoo and medicated wipes. I have been wiping him everyday. How long should I give the dog food a chance to make a change in him? I asked if I could give him Benadryl (works for allergies?) and she said "sure", but I dont know. He is farting a lot and still stinks. I am having to have my carpet cleaned this week because the smell is just going right into the carpet in my living room (thats the only part of my house that doesnt have hardwood floors and it smells rancid!). Im not giving up hope...even if it means walking around my house with a clothespin and spraying perfume on me the minute I leave the house so I dont reak of him Okay so after all that my question is how long should I try the food he is on before I see a difference? Taste of the Wild Salmon is a five star rated food so I am assuming its good...but if it doesnt work...which one next?
    If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. ~Woodrow Wilson

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You have to give it a few weeks but not every food works for every dog so you MAY have to try others.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Woody
    Likes (Received)

Did you check the food review thread? Tremendous resource.

As for the breath, do you brush? I combated the same problem with a good quality toothpaste (CET). I brushed the gums, roof of mouth....everywhere. Also, chewing on something benign and salivating is very good.

Toothbrush and chewable toy meats which removes the bad breathe of the dogs are great eliminators of odors. Spray your house with vinegar to remove the bad odors.
    Last edited by BabeEnglishBulldog; 03-06-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Sorry, but why do I get the word "toy" linked to carolinapantry website? I did not link it there. Is this automatic in this forum?
    Last edited by BabeEnglishBulldog; 03-06-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads