Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entropion Surgery

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tanker or Tank or Tankie..Depends on his expression.
    Likes (Received)

Default Entropion Surgery

I took Tank to the vet last Friday and had his eye checked because he keeps it closed more than the other one and tends to have (for lack of better words) eye boogers in it. Does anyone have experience regarding entropion surgery? Tank may need it for his left eye. We are trying an antibiotic ointment and it seems to help some.

Here's a picture of his eye:
    Name:  xmas dog 006a.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  86.7 KB
    Last edited by Tanker; 02-10-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: made picture bigger

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Entropion Surgery

Oh, poor boy! I have not had experience with this. I hope the ointment helps and he can avoid surgery.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

AAaw poor tank!! I am keeping my fingers crossed the ointment works! Vegas had a bad episode with this when he had a severe ear infection, antibiotics, steroids, ear antibiotics and eye ointment cleared him right up.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chowder & Karma
    Likes (Received)

Karma had Entropion surgery on both her eyes. She now has no eye problems and she healed quickly. I don't regret doing it. She looks more beautiful too. like a doggie eye lift

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby. I hope he feels better soon.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I don't have any experience with this but I hope the ointment works and you can avoid surgery

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jozi, Wales
    Likes (Received)

I have never heard of this but that is
    to my surprise being Jozi is my first
    Bullie. Please keep us updated as to his
    condition.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was told Jesse and Tidus needed surgery but now neither of them have issues because I found the right food. It took a long time to finally find it. I guess I am saying that dont get the surgery unless the vet is CERTAIN he needs it. My vets wanted to do surgery and it was not necessary in my case, their eyes were swollen so that is why the lashes were going inward. Every vet I have questioned this question and they always say yes:

"Is it possible that his eyes are just swollen causing the lids to roll inward from allergies?" My answer from all: Yes, it is.

But it would take less time to get the surgery then trying foods until you find the right one. I went to Fromm grain free.
    Last edited by bullmama; 01-11-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Tanker - Chunk probably needs the surgery too - my vet suggested I go to an opthamologist first to be sure that is what he needs. She did various tests first - checked his tear production, checked to be sure he had no scratches etc. and now he has eye drops and ointment (real fun trying to get BOTH in his eyes!) to protect his cornea.

Desertsky - that is VERY interesting. I am DEFINITELY going to ask the opthamologist about the diet as well.
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Chunksmama

I had a horrible experience with my opthomologist. Nicest guy you would ever meet. But after $1000 to avoid surgery, he tells me Tidus needed surgery.

If it were me, I would wait to go forward on seeing the opt. until he has been on the ointment and drops for a week. What did your vet prescribe? Did the vet do a stain to see if there was any ulcers or scratches?

@Tanker how is your bully's eye doing?

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    @Chunksmama

I had a horrible experience with my opthomologist. Nicest guy you would ever meet. But after $1000 to avoid surgery, he tells me Tidus needed surgery.

If it were me, I would wait to go forward on seeing the opt. until he has been on the ointment and drops for a week. What did your vet prescribe? Did the vet do a stain to see if there was any ulcers or scratches?

@Tanker how is your bully's eye doing?
    Yes - she's done the eye stain twice to check for ulcers/scratches (the last one she had another vet in the practice look too) and she did a tear production test as well both times. (Chunk looked like a clown, it was pretty funny! Anyway, since this is the second time it has happened and doesn't seem to be getting better, that is why she suggested the opthamologist. Both times he was on a neopolydex drop (first time it helped slightly, this time it didn't at all). Now he's on a neopolydex ointment and artificial tears. I may call and ask her if I can try benadryl before I go to the opthamologist to see if it's allergies first. The worst part is that it has so much mucus/tears that are running into his wrinkles, I have to keep using panalog cream to prevent him from getting a skin infection. So this problem is affecting him in so many ways!

I'm pretty happy with all she's done so far - we got him in July and within the first month we saw the her 3 times for skin infections and ear infections. Since changing his food, it's just this darn eye! I've actually considered taking him to a vet in NY ... apparently he's like "THE" bulldog guy to go to ... Howard Stern talks about how his bullies have been the healthiest EVER since they've seen this vet. Problem is - I'm sure it will be expensive and it's an hour trip for us. Chunk likes the car but that's a big, long day!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh I feel your pain right now!!! Eye boogers is usually a sign of allergies. If I were you, I would try a grain free diet, preferably one without chicken. Many of our members have had much success with Fromm and natures variety instinct for allergies. I had tidus on both, and he was not any better, until I discovered chicken is one of the most allergic protiens. Even some formulas, example from surf and turf, has chicken in it. When I tried Fromm chicken, all he'll broke loose!!! That is when I made the connection. Now he is on the beef frittatta formula, and he is a brand new dog.

The Fromm has complete nutrition, no synthesized vitamins, and probiotics in writing. Human grade meats, fresh veggies, ect. You can get it from petflow.

Over the past year I tried an array of the best foods on the market, and through research we came up with our recommended dog foods. Keep us posted on how he does in the next week, I always found it took a few days for the antibiotics to start working.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads