Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have harness or neck collar?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Default Do you have harness or neck collar?

Hi.. when we bought Chester.. the breeder told us to get him a harness collar. And my goodness, he wasn't going anywhere with that on him, he was like a box of rocks and wouldn't move We went to the neck and it's taken us almost a month, but we are finally starting to get him to walk. He is stubborn! I've never met a dog that didn't want to walk before like Chester :p

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I like the harness, mainly because my bullies are strong and if they see something they want, I don't choke them when I pull the leash.
    aka "Bullpapa DeLano" on facebook

Kennel Cleaner Jefferson bulldogs's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    IZA Diva & Lots 'O Dots
    Likes (Received)

Freckles didnt want to walk at all either up until about 2 weeks ago.
    JEFFERSON

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I have harnesses for taking walks and just use leads when we go to the vet or anywhere in the car.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

For quick trips I use a Mendota sliplead on Jay and Sadie. When we are on walks though Sadie wears a harness that connects at the chest and doesn't put pressure on her windpipe. When walking Jay however he gets the mendota slip lead as his nose is always to the ground and its nice to get the attention back to me with a lil wrist flick instead of a tug with a collar.

She is VERY stubborn about walking too. If you have her leashed, and the leash is loose you can call her and she'll follow to get started. If she's standing and the leash goes taut she will FREEZE where she is, brace herself and attempt to back out of it. I think she's gotten out of a few collars and was trying this with the harness. No such luck hehehhe.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Harness

I lost my Diesel (18 months) as he loved chewing the branches from the bushes in my backyard. I had both types of collars for him but never dreamed for a second that his neck collar would get caught on a branch. It happened so fast and it will take a lifetime for me to ever stop replaying it over and over in my mind. Regular collars are banned in my home.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karina View Post
    I lost my Diesel (18 months) as he loved chewing the branches from the bushes in my backyard. I had both types of collars for him but never dreamed for a second that his neck collar would get caught on a branch. It happened so fast and it will take a lifetime for me to ever stop replaying it over and over in my mind. Regular collars are banned in my home.
    OMG that is just tragic!!! Very sorry Karina.... Heartbreaking. My condolences....
    aka "Bullpapa DeLano" on facebook

Bulldog(s) Names
    Olaf & Ivana
    Likes (Received)

I really prefer the harness just because I am able to cotrol better...I don't like thinking that I am choking him. Although I will say that me breeder did actually recomend a choke chain for when he was a pup to train. I never did it. Olaf never had issue learning to walk on a leash. When he gets really excited (like he wants to approach someone or another dog) he will choke himself silly on a collar which I really hate. He has even made him self vomitt over it =^/ So ya that's another reason why I like the harness.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Wow! That is horrible, I am so sorry Karina! I guess that is a good reminder to all of us anyways. I do have break away regular collars (Cuttys breeder recommended them after another tragic incedent happened with with one that she had sold) their tags and stuff although usually they dont wear anything around the house. We only put them on when we leave them by themselves, just in case they got out. I do prefer harnesses to walk with tho.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargent
    Likes (Received)

Harness for when he wants to walk, What is it about these babies that makes them not want to trot next to their parents like all the other doggies I see around the neighborhood?? If we are away from home like at the beach or something he does much better. I have noticed he doesn't like walking away from the house but my GF can drop Sargent and myself off a few block's away in the car and he will walk next to me just fine as long as were walking towards the house. Weird

Proud parents of Sargent our baby English Bulldog

Bulldog(s) Names
    Heffner the "TANK"
    Likes (Received)

Personally I go with a reverse harness....My Bully (Tank) will actually choke himself till he gags with a flat collar, the harness made him like a sled dog and pulled all the time... this harness hitches in the front and actually turns him around to face you... got it at petsmarts.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads