Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wonderful new bulldog

Default My wonderful new bulldog

So I introduced myself 2 weeks ago on a food thread. Emmitt is 13 weeks old and really great. He's doing amazing with the house/crate training, listens really well, and has just been a really laid back, awesome little guy.

Is this normal for the breed?

I've only had experience with a pug and a french bulldog. The frenchie was a training nightmare. Oy!

So is my experience typical? Is this a bulldog thing?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My wonderful new bulldog

I am no expert since i got my boy at 9 months but it sounds like you got the few that are mellow and fall into their bulldog category. lol From what I have seen on here most are active, bite a lot and very stubborn in training. I hope your boy stays this sweet but I think their devilish horns start to show after a while most the time. My pug was easy to train because he wanted to please me, bullies are stubborn and with my bully, he doesnt care if I am pleased, it is all about what he wants.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

lol. That's a really good question. Stiggy's my first dog and pet (unless you count my 4 turtles) and we've had the same experience as yours. His crate training went really well and he's been an almost-non barker. He seeks affection and playtime sometimes but is mostly laid back and/or sleeping. Once he gets to be comfortable with you though, he'll start sleeping beside you, on your lap, lick you while you're napping, etc. Its great!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Awww Emmitt is so cute!! I don't know if that is how the majority of bully pups are but my Samson was really laid back and mellow when he was a pup too. He was (is) definitely stubborn but he picked up simple tricks and "commands" pretty quickly, he will do anything if a treat is involved. Was easy to potty and crate train. He wasn't a biter, chewed up a couple things but still much less than most puppies I hear about. Sounds like you lucked out!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

So maybe I should knock on wood? Ha, Ha.

Biting has been his biggest issue, but Bella'sMom told me to pick a firm command and stick with it. Since we started that last week it's been better. He'll actually let go and back off when we say, "no biting!".

The vet reccomended neutering him prior to 6 months. Do you all agree that that's ok?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emmitt E View Post
    The vet reccomended neutering him prior to 6 months. Do you all agree that that's ok?
    That sounds pretty standard to me.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I think we neutered our pug before 6 months and it was fine. I have heard a lot of people say they dont develop the same, chest etc, if you dont let them fill in some first but I think it is mostly genetics and if I had my choice next time I will fix my bully by or around 6 months next time.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think they are definitely more mellow than most puppies- but it is hard to say because we have pretty much only owned English Bulldogs.....

You may want to ask your vet about developing 'hormonally' first. I have not researched this in depth but i would definitely be very interested in hearing what your vet says about that.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

I had an easy time training Silva and yes she is mellow except her burst of energy here and there!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Chester is our first Bullie and he wasn't hard to housebreak and yup.. he is LAID BACK... he is the "sunglasses, flip flops, and a Corona" dog
    It's a Bully thing <3

When the bully was created, it licked the hand of God and God stroked its head, saying, "What do you want, baby bully?" It replied, "My Lord, I want to stay with you, in heaven, on a mat in front of the gate."

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Brodie
    Likes (Received)

Emmitt is such a handsome boy! My 1st bullie, Lola who is 3, was amazing and still is. I would not say she was/is laid back but minds very well (so we don't mind her being excited some of the time) and did fab-u-lous with potty training, etc. We hope and pray our 2nd one (getting Friday) is just as good as her. Hopefully it is not like having 1 real good kid and 1 bad. If so, oh no!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Brodie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaRN View Post
    Chester is our first Bullie and he wasn't hard to housebreak and yup.. he is LAID BACK... he is the "sunglasses, flip flops, and a Corona" dog
    Sunglasses, flip flop and a Corona, Oh be still my heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads