Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My wonderful new bulldog

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My wonderful new bulldog

Maggie was pretty laid back and very easy to train. Daddy is a training nightmare and compared to Maggie ... very high energy!! However, I imagine a lot of the testosterone energy will be gone when he gets the "snippety-snip"

Our vet said that we should do that at 5 months .. but I have heard from one breeder that the longer you leave it the broader across the chest, and bascially more filled-out the male will get. We don't really care too much about that ... ok let me re-word that ... I don't care about that but the hubby wants the big macho bullie. So he'll probably be getting the snip at 5 months ..... because I'm the one dealing with the english bulldog puppy who thinks he's Tigger ...LOL

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Gertie was a pill when she was tiny. We got her at not quite 6 weeks and she bit and chewed something horrible. We got her to stop that tho and she's been a good girl ever since. Ida was older than Gertie, about 12 weeks old when we brought her home and she is much more calm, no biting or chewing at all. But she's apparently never heard that dogs won't soil their sleeping area. She is 6 months old and STILL goes in her crate at least once every 7 to 10 days. She doesn't care, she just lays down and sleeps a foot from the . They both play pretty wild, so I guess I wouldn't say they're exactly laid-back. But they're still pretty young.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Vegas was a good puppy...really easy to train and very food motivated. Things started getting tougher as he got older. We did get him neutered at 5 months old. We had a friend visiting who was laying on the ground...Vegas came over to him, straddled his leg AND PEED. So, we wanted to make sure he wasn't going to start marking stuff...my vet had no problem with doing it early. He has never marked or lifted his leg since.
    His stubborn bull-headedness started about the same time he was diagnosed with epilepsy. I don't blame him for his bullytude...he gets fixated and a little more aggressive around the time of seizures.
    Now Orion. Sheesh. She was a brat from day one. She has so much bullytude...she has no room to store it. She DOES not stop until her eyes are closed. We kinda help the situation by putting her in clothes. She settles down and curls up to snuggle when you put a sweatshirt on her.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations! Emmitt is precious! I had two eb's that i got at 8 wks. My boy was a wild biting monster and my girl was really mellow, she just wanted love. To help with the biting i just turned him onto his back and held him til he quit struggling. i did this each time he bit me, and he stopped within 2 weeks. He was potty trained 100% by 4 months and i had trained him to ring a bell by the door when he needed to potty. I showed him and he did excellent in the ring, really a brilliant angel of bulldog. My girl was a sweet baby, but turned out to be a trial of patience and sobriety. lol. i never successfully potty trained her, i couldn't train her to do anything besides sit, her saving grace was that she was the most loving dog and the best cuddle buddy.

My dog now i rescued so i don't know how he was as a baby, but he is mellow except for 1-2 hrs at night when he wants to party! The rescue told me he was a "wild" guy, but i think he was just sad/anxious cause he didn't have a place to call home, because now he is a happy mellow guy.

Bulls are pretty stubborn so just try to stay consistent. Have you considered clicker training? i found that to be really quick and effective.

Keep posting pictures! I love to see those babies.

Thanks guys. So for the most part everyone seemed to have pretty easy bullies.

I think my view is a little skewed b/c my experience with the frenchie was so, so, so bad. Like chewing through crates, fences, drywall, painting the walls with her poop bad. Little Emmitt seems like and angel sent from heaven.

I'll talk to my vet and do a little research on the hormones and neutering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads