Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

  1. #1
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Question Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    This weekend we went to the Poconos to visit some friends and see their beautiful new home. Being the well behaved love muffin that she is, Raven was also invited. Well the car ride is approximately 2 hours. When we got in the car not too long into the drive she got really antsy and started panting and just overall agitated. Maybe an hour into the ride she settled down, she didn't sleep or want to look out the window. My son kept her head on his lap and kept rubbing her and saying sweet nothings to her. I thought that wasn't so bad. I figured a day and a half later on our return trip she would be much better...oy that was such a misconception. She started her panting and restlessness and agitation maybe 30 minutes into the ride. By the time we were on the last half hour stretch home she was down right nutty. It was like if she was having an anxiety attack. Scared me something awful. Once we pulled in to the drive way I let her loose asap. She just rant to the back door and was like hurry up and let me in. It took a while for her to settle down. Her breathing was so harsh, she literally sounded like she ran a marathon. I got so worried that I squeezed some lemon juice into her mouth because she sounded down right raspy. It broke my heart in the car hearing her having what seemed like an anxiety attack, she was whining, weezing and making this weird sound.

    So my questions to you all are: 1) how do you get your bully to have an anxiety free ride? and 2) do you give them any meds if you need to travel with them?

    I definitely see us traveling to visit our friends again as well as wanting to take some vacations that are in driving distance so we can take her. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11481

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    Raven sounds just like my girl, Banks.... we had to get her Xanax. Anything over an hour and we give her 1/2 or a whole tablet 20 mins. prior to leaving.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #3
    Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    fastmatt613's Avatar
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,031
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)
    79

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    How often is Raven in the car? Since he day I got him (which was a 4.5 hour drive each way), Rocco hasbeen in the car regularly, like almost every day. I try and take him with me wherever I can. That being said, he doesn't mind the car at all. If he's not sleeping, he's trying to drive on my lap, or look out the window. Realizing your geographical location, I'm sure you do not get many opportunities to take her in the car (or really need to for that fact), but I think if she can get more familiar with it, she won't be so anxious/nervous in the car. But that is just an assumption based on my own experience. Hopefully someone who has dealt with this personally can chime in.

  4. #4
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    Quote Originally Posted by fastmatt613 View Post
    How often is Raven in the car? Since he day I got him (which was a 4.5 hour drive each way), Rocco hasbeen in the car regularly, like almost every day. I try and take him with me wherever I can. That being said, he doesn't mind the car at all. If he's not sleeping, he's trying to drive on my lap, or look out the window. Realizing your geographical location, I'm sure you do not get many opportunities to take her in the car (or really need to for that fact), but I think if she can get more familiar with it, she won't be so anxious/nervous in the car. But that is just an assumption based on my own experience. Hopefully someone who has dealt with this personally can chime in.
    Yep she doesn't go in there much. We have a nice sized yard so she gets to play there. I don't do the doggie parks because you never know what you will find there. I think I am going to have to start taking her for a little short spin at least once a week to build up her tolerance.

    Thanks.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  5. #5
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Raven sounds just like my girl, Banks.... we had to get her Xanax. Anything over an hour and we give her 1/2 or a whole tablet 20 mins. prior to leaving.
    I may have to get some xanax and keep on hand as well. Seeing as xanax is prescription is there something else that can be used? I can speak to the vet next time I have to visit. She was really having such an attack. My son was trying to get her to look out the window and she kept shoving her face into the crease of the chair and the window and the weezing thing she was doing was scary. She got so worked up that when she got into the house she was laying there doing it for a while until I was like let me force some lemon juice into her to make sure the panting and drooling didn't cause some sort of blockage.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  6. #6
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11481

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzymammabee View Post
    I may have to get some xanax and keep on hand as well. Seeing as xanax is prescription is there something else that can be used? I can speak to the vet next time I have to visit. She was really having such an attack. My son was trying to get her to look out the window and she kept shoving her face into the crease of the chair and the window and the weezing thing she was doing was scary. She got so worked up that when she got into the house she was laying there doing it for a while until I was like let me force some lemon juice into her to make sure the panting and drooling didn't cause some sort of blockage.
    Yes, Banks does the saem. Face pushed into the seat or she tries her darnest to fit UNDER the seat. ou have to try and ignore her when she is in the car, just let her be and find where she is comfortable... maybe bring her crate if possible. Banks, nothing works, we really just limit her car rides to vet appointments or an occaisonal bulldog meet up
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #7
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Yes, Banks does the saem. Face pushed into the seat or she tries her darnest to fit UNDER the seat. ou have to try and ignore her when she is in the car, just let her be and find where she is comfortable... maybe bring her crate if possible. Banks, nothing works, we really just limit her car rides to vet appointments or an occaisonal bulldog meet up
    At present her only real car rides tend to be if she has a vet appointment or I take her to visit my dad, which is also limited because he has a Shih Tzu that is not neutered that likes to hump her. On the way up I ignored her and let her settle down. I had hoped it would be the same on the return but it sure didn't happen. Can't take her crate because we got rid of the SUV and have a regular mid-sized sedan so family outings means she gets to ride on the seat with the kids in the back or on my lap. I have to work it out because I want to include her in family outings/vacations when we can. The alternative would be to kennel her if and when we vacation and I don't really want to do that either. I would happily leave her with my dad if it weren't for his dog that is a humping machine.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  8. #8
    Baxter Tiberius
    Guest

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    1) how do you get your bully to have an anxiety free ride?
    Frequent short trips are my best advice.
    With reassurances the whole time
    Also a chew toy in Baxters case. He needs something to occupy him.
    Calm, quiet music seems to help as well.

    2) do you give them any meds if you need to travel with them?
    When we drove from San Diego to Phoenix, I just made sure to stop every hour, on the dot, and let him go to the bathroom and play.
    This worked like a charm. Regarding anxiety, Benadryl (1mg per lb max) is always a last option.
    It will put them to sleep/rest. But make sure they have water because it dehydrates.

  9. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11481

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzymammabee View Post
    At present her only real car rides tend to be if she has a vet appointment or I take her to visit my dad, which is also limited because he has a Shih Tzu that is not neutered that likes to hump her. On the way up I ignored her and let her settle down. I had hoped it would be the same on the return but it sure didn't happen. Can't take her crate because we got rid of the SUV and have a regular mid-sized sedan so family outings means she gets to ride on the seat with the kids in the back or on my lap. I have to work it out because I want to include her in family outings/vacations when we can. The alternative would be to kennel her if and when we vacation and I don't really want to do that either. I would happily leave her with my dad if it weren't for his dog that is a humping machine.
    we are on the same exact boat.... Xanax will help. We tried everything before going that route...toys, bones, crate, food... Nothing worked
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  10. #10
    Newbie Tarheel5's Avatar
    Location
    Greenville,SC
    Posts
    9
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ranger & Bailey ( Rita rbb)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    It may sound silly and gross but I was told by a breeder the best way to cool you bully when the overheat due to travel or anything for that matter is hold a ice cube against there rectum and it calms the down and cools them til there comfortable

    jack

  11. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11481

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel5 View Post
    It may sound silly and gross but I was told by a breeder the best way to cool you bully when the overheat due to travel or anything for that matter is hold a ice cube against there rectum and it calms the down and cools them til there comfortable

    jack
    really? I never heard of that....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  12. #12
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Travel Anxiety Advice/Remedies....

    You have already been given lots of great advice and suggestions. My guys have been going for car rides since we got them, we usually take them wherever we go, and we drive to the river and trail behind our house at least once a day for them to go on a run, so they are used to the car, and actually love carries, they get so excited when you say the car or park word. Lol. You could try taking her on short and more frequent car rides, even if its just around the block to get her used to being in the car. I agree maybe just leaving her more alone, to just lay and relax, try a blanket on the seat, or in her crate with a blanket. Try frequent breaks on a long trip to stretch her legs, and to go potty. But if these things don't work for her, it is still possible to go on vacations with her, but get a prescription for something from the vet to calm her down and help her relax. For shorter day trips, maybe a dog sitter, or a stay at a play place for dogs would help.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •