Thread: Gordo's Story

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Default Gordo's Story

A week ago I received an Email from the Long Island Bulldog Rescue about an 8 month old bully named Gordo. Gordo was surrendered by his owners to l.i.b.r. as a seemingly healthy puppy. One that would be placed in a nice home with relative ease. After a checkup from their vets they realized that sadly this was not the case. Gordo was diagnosed with pneumonia and brachycephalic syndrome (elongated soft palate, constricted nostrils, enlarged tonsils). Corrective surgery for the breathing condition is common, or so I'm told. I wish I could say that it ended there for Gordo but I can't. He had another condition known as tracheal hypoplasia. It's basically underdeveloped cartilage rings that expand the trachea. This means he was essentially breathing though a trachea the size of a small straw.
    At the time I received this letter all the necessary surgeries had been performed on little Gordo. L.i.b.r. was asking for donations to cover Gordo's vet bills which at this point were over $10,000. I threw a few bucks on the hat. My girlfriend too.
    I opted to receive daily updates on Gordo's condition (2 a day, morning and night). Over the weekend they announced that he was breathing much better since the tracheal procedure and eating which is a great sign for any puppy after having that much work done. He was still battling the pneumonia but his cough was very productive. Another good sign.
    For 11 days Gordo was recovering with all the love an attention the hospital staff and L.i.b.r staff could give him.
    Yesterday mornings update was a somber one. They said he seemed weak. His tired little face was pressed up against his cage. They asked us to pray for him.
    I'm not much for praying myself and neither is my girlfriend but now I wish I was.
    Gordo died late last night.
    He had been taken by the pneumonia.
    I've been kinda busted up about it all morning. I'm sad for sure but for a jerk like me that translates to anger. I'd like to get ahold of the bastards who surrendered him and even more so than that I'd like to get ahold of the human garbage who operated the puppy mill where he was born. He was only 8 months old when he died. A month older than my Luca.
    I wonder if he ever felt loved in his whole short life and I'm grateful to the hospital and Long Island Bulldog Rescue for being there for him in the end.
    Gordo died with no owners to speak of so I just felt like someone had to tell his story.
    -image-jpg

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gordo's Story

Thank you for sharing this...even though it's sooo heartbreaking, Gordo deserves his story told..

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Awe!!! That poor fur baby! Makes me cry just reading about it as my own fur baby is laying on my lap cuddled up to my daughters best friend my lap is full but I would certainly have made room for Gordo. Hopefully he knew some love in his short life!

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Ugh... This story is so heartbreaking, I feel so sad for Gordo
    I'm new to EBN, and I honestly had NO idea how many bullies end up in shelters or rescues... It makes me angry too.

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thank you for telling Gordo's story! Although it made me cry, I too am angry with the humans who let him down. But thank god for rescues like LIBR that showed him love before he went to rainbow bridge. And again, thank you for sharing this adorable guys story!
    Princess, Diva, and Gio <3

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
    Likes (Received)

What a sad story. Even though you didn't own Gordo, the caring that you show just by sharing his story says a lot. The fact that LIBR was there for him and did so much to save him says that THEY loved him enough to give him a chance.

I freaking HATE PUPPY MILLS. HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM! Because they want to make a quick buck and do not care one iota for the dogs that are born with all sorts of problems. bastards.

Poor baby Gordo, he is playing past the Rainbow Bridge with all our bullies and other dogs that have also crossed and they ARE loved. ♥

RIP Samson el Torito and Petunia Belle
    May 20, 2000 - June 06, 2008 and November 16, 2004 - April 10, 2015

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooch
    Likes (Received)

So sad.......... I feel so sorry for this little guy. RIP Gordo..........

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Poor sweet baby.

Real Name
    Megan
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Poor little guy is in no pain.
    ~ Megan
    (and Sarge, the spoiled rotten bulldog)

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I never cry but this one got me. :-( Poor little guy...he deserved so much more but your sharing his story and the love he received in a time of sickness are beautiful tributes to his short life.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Poor Gordo. I have been following his story on LIBR facebook page also..I was not aware he passed last night though. This is a shock to hear this morning. RIP Gordo..he was so young too.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kross225 View Post
    A week ago I received an Email from the Long Island Bulldog Rescue about an 8 month old bully named Gordo. Gordo was surrendered by his owners to l.i.b.r. as a seemingly healthy puppy. One that would be placed in a nice home with relative ease. ....

At the time I received this letter all the necessary surgeries had been performed on little Gordo. L.i.b.r. was asking for donations to cover Gordo's vet bills which at this point were over $10,000.
    This was most likely the reason they surrendered him. Unfortunately, a lot of owners who surrender don't tell us the real reason they are doing it. Days, sometimes weeks go by and the condition remains untreated. The outcome isn't always a positive one.

Poor little guy. At least he knew what real love was before he left us.

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I honestly had NO idea how many bullies end up in shelters or rescues... It makes me angry too.

you would be surprised

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads