Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering getting pet insurance ...

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Considering getting pet insurance ...

As some of you may know, Stig has had allergies since we got him early last month. He's been to the vet a couple of times already, and received antibiotic and antihistamine shots the first time, along with a prescription of antibiotics for 6 weeks. I'm hoping some of the costs will be covered by the 'trial' pet insurance we received from the breeder. The person the phone couldn't guarantee anything, but most likely it should be covered, and that to send everything anyway.

This pet insurance is up in a couple of days. Should I continue? I'm thinking I should, at least until I find out what he's allergic to. The vet recommended that we find out by eliminating things (such as changing food) first before we do an allergy test.

Since we changed his food 3 weeks ago, he's been doing much better. Energy level shot way up (everyday's he's accomplishing something new!) and his hives have decreased greatly. Maybe he gets a new one every few days or so. Next vet appointment is this Sat, so hopefully everything will be in the clear and that he can get his second set of vaccinations.

What do you think?

Bulldog Vet in Training gatorfan85's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Considering getting pet insurance ...

I'm not much help... I have also been debating insurance too but dont know what to get

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I know there are a few people on here who have and highly recommend pet insurance. I think @Libra926 and @TessaAndSamson both have some, not 100% tho.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes, get it. We have VPI for Orion, but just submitted for Trupanion. Apparently they will cover Vegas even tho he has epilepsy. Get it and get it soon.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yeah I have VPI and I am very happy I do. I think if I added it all up I have been reimbursed more than I have actually paid for my policies in the 4 years I've had it.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

We have Pet Secure, get insurance! ASAP

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Okay, I continued the coverage. $1,000 per illness / year, $100 deductible, and the normal extras for Cdn$56 monthly. Need to talk to the bf about getting the $2,500 one for $12 more.

@TessaAndSamson
    @Isabella
    @Libra926

What have you been able to claim, if any?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

YES ... GET INSURANCE!!!

We didn't ......... two weeks after we got Maggie she fell down the stairs and broke her elbow which meant a very complex surgery with pins etc. (approx $3000) Then (because we were so stupid about bulldogs and feeding) she got a stomach virus that involved projectile diahorrea that sprayed everything within a 4 foot radius (400). After that she got an ear infection . Followed by a locked jaw that was FINALLY diagnosed as MMM ... an auto-immune disease of the chewing muscles that locks the jaw. Then everything was going good ......... did we get insurance ..............now that would be just too sensible wouldn't it. So the following year she had MMM again, and in January of this year she got another yeast infection in her ear.

So far Maggie has cost us about 2 - 3 times what we actually paid for her!!!

By looking through this website and the recommendations made, I did research on all the insurance companies out there. We eventually went with Trupanion because it seems to be the only insurance company that covers congenital and hereditary health issues. I believe VPI did, but only 12 months after the policy was taken out.

So get good insurance and get good insurance now because the chances of your english bulldog going to cost you a minor fortune sometime in the future is 99.99999% definite!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    What have you been able to claim, if any?
    Oh my so much. I have VPI major medical with the routine care coverage. We've claimed a night Samson spent in the hospital for constant vomiting, the surgery to remove a toy he swallowed, ear infections, when we found out about his inverted tail, his allergy appointments, all kinds of stuff. Because we have the routine care coverage I also get reimbursements for his heartworm & flea medications, annual heartworm test, vaccines, routine exams, his neuter, etc.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

If you wouldnt mind, what is the premium for the VPI major medical with the routine care coverage?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    If you wouldnt mind, what is the premium for the VPI major medical with the routine care coverage?
    I pay like $53 a month. It has been totally worth it for us because of all the problems we've had with Sam. In the 4 years I've had it I have been reimbursed more than I have actually paid for the policy itself.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

I'm sick of reading pet insurance fine print... LOL I'm finding that what they pay varies alot from company to company.... also makes a difference on how much you pay for the premium. VPI seems to pay a fixed amount for each illness/injury, etc. It looks like the examples they show are around 60 some percent. Other companies pay 80% but their premium is higher. I'll keep at it and let you know what else I find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads