I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Default Poor Vegas and his allergies...

So we just got back from our vet. Vegas got a short term allergy shot, a long term (6 weeks) allergy shot, antihistamines, an anti-fungal shampoo and an internal anal gland expression (YES he feels so violated, lol) WOW alot of stuff from the bottom. We are in the process of changing his food to a grain free. He is so stinky right now I can't even stand to have him close to me. Has anybody tried Natures Recipe Salmon, sweet potato and pumpkin Grain Free formula?? We are on a quest to find the right food. I would just like to hear feed back on this food. He is miserable, but so am I that I don't want to snuggle with him because I can't take the smell of him

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Poor Vegas and his allergies...

I've never tried that food before, grain free is definitely a great place to start. We all have our favorite food for our bullies with allergies but I like Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon and Fromm Surf & Turf. Salmon oil on his food daily has helped my Samson alot as well.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog Vet in Training gatorfan85's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KMARINO View Post
    So we just got back from our vet. Vegas got a short term allergy shot, a long term (6 weeks) allergy shot, antihistamines, an anti-fungal shampoo and an internal anal gland expression (YES he feels so violated, lol) WOW alot of stuff from the bottom. We are in the process of changing his food to a grain free. He is so stinky right now I can't even stand to have him close to me. Has anybody tried Natures Recipe Salmon, sweet potato and pumpkin Grain Free formula?? We are on a quest to find the right food. I would just like to hear feed back on this food. He is miserable, but so am I that I don't want to snuggle with him because I can't take the smell of him
    Mr.Beefy knows how he feels, when i got him he had to get an anal gland express , meidcated flush, injectable antibiotics, booty shaved and an abscess drained. His glands are not fully healed yet but its better and his tail yeast is almost gone. The smell was HORIIBLE rinsing with apple cider vinegar was the only thing that helped..... We hope he gets better soon.

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    REGINALD GRUFFALO THE FIRST
    Likes (Received)

I'm having similar situation with Reggie who has a skin reaction on his head/neck that the vet thinks maybe a food allergy. The vet recommended a hypo-allergenic food and suggested I start with an ingrediant Reggie hasn't had before so I've got Burns Duck & Brown Rice which is a UK food. I hope I'm not being thoroughly ignorant here but I'm assuming the 'rice' is considered the carbohydrate content and isn't a grain as such like corn etc. I'm just doing the week change over at present and will let you know how I get on. The vet also gave Piriton anti-histamine x1 daily.
    Poor Vegas - why does he smell so bad? Reggies head isn't choice at the minute but still kissable. Where's the smell coming from? Sorry this isn't a post about the food stuffs you requested as I don't get them here.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@TessaAndSamson
    Where do you find salmon oil?

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    @TessaAndSamson
    We found several brands on both Petco and Petsmarts' websites so assume it is in stores as well. We havent tried it but have heard it helps with sheading too.... I hope that is true because Gracie really sheds alot. Is there a brand that is recommended?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Libra926 At the feed store I go to, Plato is the name of the company that makes it. It's sold in a bottle with a pump so you just give a certain amount of pumps for the size of the pup, nice not to have to use a measuring spoon. Heres a link for it:

Plato Pet Treats - Salmon Oil

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby, Pebble and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Maybe I sound like a broken record but I went raw with my girl who is 2 and it made a complete turn around. She used to scratch her face, ears and feet till they bled. I started with chicken thighs without anything else for a month (no skin). Then I added brown rice. 2 cups chicken to 4 cups of rice. Added 1 T oil 1 meal. I tried adding ground beef but almost immediately she started going crazy scratching so stopped and went back to chicken. Now I give 1 chicken thigh with bone in for 1 meal and then boneless chicken cut up or par boiled the other meal. For her it works great! Her face has never been so white and absolutely NO tear stains. Her coat is soft also. Every dog isn't the same. It took me 6 months to figure out hers. I also give her chicken gizzards every other meal. Good luch with your girl.
    Roanne

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

@TessaAndSamson
    @Libra926 We have been using the Grizzly Salmon Oil. This is the link: Welcome to Grizzly Pet Products because that is what @Lindathedogsmaid recommended. I've found it in "Pet Supplies" but it's actually cheaper to get it online. We started with the 8oz bottle but it's been so successful that we're going to buy the 64oz bottle next time. All the bottles come with a pump so it's very easy to use.

Remove Ads