Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAQ: Does your bulldog have tear stains?

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: Does your bulldog have tear stains?

We've seen that it changing food can make a difference. When Castor was young, we had some kibble that caused dark-coloured tears and then we turned to raw (as I say in an old post above!). After a while he was back on kibble, but another kind and everything was fine until a year or so ago. The I think it was his salmon oil that caused dark tears. So we switched to another oil (Nutrolin) and things are much better. Now, dogs are different, but in Castor's case, if this was food-related, it seems like beef and salmon were the culprits. Now he eats game and gets veggie oil and his tears are no longer dark.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have been very lucky with mine, as they have not had tear stains.
    "
    It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

As soon as I put Duke n Jake on raw, stains simply disappeared. I still clean them with fragrance free baby wipes but you absolutely need to dry the folds really good. Jake is all white but days it can turn very light pink cause Nyala keeps licking the poor guy’s face like there was no tomorrow. It tends to stay moist. But yes, I find it’s what you’re feeding your dogs. Probiotics = good immune system. Get some smelly green tripe as a snack. It will help!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020
    Likes (Received)

Monty had tears stains when we got him but they went as soon as I got him off Royal Canin, which was the food his previous owners fed him. Never had them since.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

6. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyFarrahsmommy View Post
    Farrah has very bad tear stains. They go from her eye all the way down to her mouth. I've tried coconut oil, as the breeder suggested and I bought wrinkle paste by squish face, has not helped at all...
    I've read about baby powder, corn starch and witch hazel concoctions, milk of magnesia even? I don't want to sting her eyes or hurt her in any way.
    I'm going to try some of the suggestions I just read here, and I'm curious if teething has anything to do with it?? (I read somewhere that until they're done teething nothing will help tear stains, is this true??) She's still a puppy, almost 6 months old.

yes, teething can add to it. But it is one of those things, you have to find what causes it. Could be food, allergies, eye lids, eye lashes. process of elimination.
    My guys is 5 and his eyes never stop tearing, environmental allergies are his problem, so there is always a slight stain for him, even with daily cleaning and feeding raw.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reginald
    Likes (Received)

Hello guys, my boy is 2 years old and he has had constant tearing hes had allergy tests and nothing came back, hes had food change, eyelashes checked for inverting etc, all fine, I use vet prescribed wipes every other day to clean, hes never had any infections but they look so sore all the time! Does anyone else know what to do?! I feel awful for him but the vets have basically said theres nothing they can do other than remove his tear ducts? X -2ed8fde7-3e88-44ff-9941-effb9026d48e-jpeg

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reggietheveggie View Post
    Hello guys, my boy is 2 years old and he has had constant tearing hes had allergy tests and nothing came back, hes had food change, eyelashes checked for inverting etc, all fine, I use vet prescribed wipes every other day to clean, hes never had any infections but they look so sore all the time! Does anyone else know what to do?! I feel awful for him but the vets have basically said theres nothing they can do other than remove his tear ducts? X -2ed8fde7-3e88-44ff-9941-effb9026d48e-jpeg
    It could be environmental allergies... also what food are you feeding brand and protein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    e.

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reginald
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    It could be environmental allergies... also what food are you feeding brand and protein

Hes on James well beloved grain free turkey & veg & his wet food is butchers grain free in jelly? Thank you!

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reggietheveggie View Post
    Hes on James well beloved grain free turkey & veg & his wet food is butchers grain free in jelly? Thank you!
    Good choices.... maybe try the duck protein if they have one, but it seems environmental. You can give an over the counter drug like Benedryl to help lessen but it never really goes away.
    @Dollys Owners

e.

13. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

For environmental allergies I'd recommend to wipe his underside and paws with an unscented wet wipe after every time he's been out. Also, cetirizine 10mg twice daily would be better than Benadryl long term, since there's no anticholinergic (drying and sedating) side effects.

For food I'd definitely recommend a switch to frozen raw duck for a month to see if that works.

I've been cleaning my bulldog's ropes that her eyes drain into with the following regimen,every 2 days, and it works great:

1) Wet a cosmetic round and apply a dollop of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo to it, and clean both wrinkles
    2) Wet a 2nd cosmetic round and wipe out wrinkles
    3) Use a 3rd dry cosmetic round to dry out wrinkles

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oscar
    Likes (Received)

Oscar was getting them but are going away. I have started wiping his face daily with deodorizing wipes and have changed his food to Purina Pro Plan Lamb & Rice. Seems to be doing the trick. They are almost completely gone now. Here are some before and after pics after about three weeks.

-9e385f96-c324-4575-98c1-f50a37ffdd51-jpeg-5a935954-43bd-4d2a-901c-f55d9fd85d9b-jpeg-5c4c8c34-7844-4b45-bb56-25d47609084b-jpeg

Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Olde Bulldogge View Post
    Oscar was getting them but are going away. I have started wiping his face daily with deodorizing wipes and have changed his food to Purina Pro Plan Lamb & Rice. Seems to be doing the trick. They are almost completely gone now. Here are some before and after pics after about three weeks.

-9e385f96-c324-4575-98c1-f50a37ffdd51-jpeg-5a935954-43bd-4d2a-901c-f55d9fd85d9b-jpeg-5c4c8c34-7844-4b45-bb56-25d47609084b-jpeg
    Cute dog ! Olde English Bulldogs tend to be a lot healthier than English bulldogs. I had my dog on Purina pro and regular wipes at one point which did nothing for her, eventually switched her to dehydrated raw which was better, but she didn't fully improve until I switched her to the frozen raw.

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads