Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAQ: Pet Insurance?

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: Pet Insurance?

Adding to my above statement. I also think the peace of mind the insurance provides is worth the 38/month I spend. several months ago frank was hospitalized for over 3 days and racked up a $2000 bill. healthy paws paid out almost $1900 of that bill. That incident alone was enough to make me a lifetime customer of healthy paws.

2. Likes Cali Doll, CCandMurray liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post
    EXACTLY! I had such an awful experience with banfield. Because I was a new pet owner and was willing to trust the banfield vet 100% with my dog... I bought everything they suggested and agreed to every test they wanted to run. After several months of this I started doing exactly what you suggest. Do independent research and educate yourself, no one is looking our for our dogs best interest more than we are!

After my banfield nightmare was over, I got coverage with healthy paws and have been more than happy with the coverage. I was just looking at my statement for the year and they've paid out over $3000 back to me. Every single claim I submitted, I got money back.

But echoing what others have said, pet health insurance is truly only worth it if you get it right when you get your pup, and he/she has no 'pre-existing conditions'.
    Agreed! I have Trupanion, and they've been pretty great and responsive to me. I'm happy with them, and I do have peace of mind in case something crazy happens. IMO, they're pretty up-front about pre-existing conditions. They key is to get the insurance right away (like day one!), and don't mention any concerns to the vet until AFTER the insurance kicks in. If you do this, you're golden. If, before the insurance kicks-in, the vet brings up some health concern, I'd probably ask them to not add it to the pup's records. (I don't even know if that's allowed--but, I'd try it.)
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

4. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member bengardradar's Avatar
    Real Name
    AMY
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Radar
    Likes (Received)

We have Trupanion for Radar, they were fantastic this summer with his issues and are great each month when I send in the receipt for his allergy meds. I really wish though I would have double checked, I could have added coverage for behavior modification and they would have paid 90% of his 5 week training visit -- I didn't even think about it till after he got back oh well

BullyWood Movie Star helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDavis View Post
    We have had our bulldog insured since we brought him home. It is still quite expensive though. It costs us $90 a month and that is with a $100 deductible. We have barely used it because it doesn't cover general things - But when he has had the odd ear infection, they will cover the medication and visit (When we didn't have the deductible because it usually is only about $100. Honestly, I find right now it isn't worth it, but because our bullie is turning 6 in November, I won't cancel it. Our insurance company covers even hip dysplasia. We are with Trupanion. I hope this helps!

https://trupanion.com/canada/ppc/hom...FQiTaQod2y4K7Q

Michelle & Wesley
    I just got a quote from them. Nyala is 4 months old. So it was $200 deductible, $105 a month. Might as well set aside the money myself and if the day comes its sitting in the bank. Your deal is better. Go figure.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bent
    Likes (Received)

This is a tough one..we considered health insurance for Bent as well. Keep in mind, this is our 1st English Bull Dog. From our discussions with other pet owners, EBD owners etc...we obviously chose a breed that is notorious for health problems. So after all the debate, we elected not to get the insurance for the following reasons:

1. Breed Lineage - we were able to trace Bent's lineage and parents several generations back and feel confident that some of the more difficult traits would not exist wit him. He comes from a champion line and has good genes. VERY IMPORTANT start with a good slate and you'll be less prone to health problems.

2. We are devout owners and have educated ourselves immensely on preventative maintenance, such as cleanliness, habits, reactions etc...

3. The amount of money spent mthly on insurance really was equivalent (for us at least) to a savings account. We were neither ahead or behind.

4. We were not certain if serious conditions such as cancer, tail amputation etc. would be covered anyways.

At least these were our opinions or ideas at the time, this may change over the next time. Bent is only 3 at the moment.

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

My Trupanion started at $40 and change per month with a very low deductible. After 3 ACL surgeries we pay $63.63 per month with a $350 deductible. I even considered putting money aside instead for now.... but really debating on that possibility. Izzy been insured since she was 8 weeks old.

I agree with you about just making a savings account, specially if your puppy is older and comes from a good genetic pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent9 View Post
    This is a tough one..we considered health insurance for Bent as well. Keep in mind, this is our 1st English Bull Dog. From our discussions with other pet owners, EBD owners etc...we obviously chose a breed that is notorious for health problems. So after all the debate, we elected not to get the insurance for the following reasons:

1. Breed Lineage - we were able to trace Bent's lineage and parents several generations back and feel confident that some of the more difficult traits would not exist wit him. He comes from a champion line and has good genes. VERY IMPORTANT start with a good slate and you'll be less prone to health problems.

2. We are devout owners and have educated ourselves immensely on preventative maintenance, such as cleanliness, habits, reactions etc...

3. The amount of money spent mthly on insurance really was equivalent (for us at least) to a savings account. We were neither ahead or behind.

4. We were not certain if serious conditions such as cancer, tail amputation etc. would be covered anyways.

At least these were our opinions or ideas at the time, this may change over the next time. Bent is only 3 at the moment.

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads