Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: Are your bulldogs crate trained?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: Are your bulldogs crate trained?

Henry has been in his crate since day 1. He has never minded. He sleeps there at night and goes in there when We leave the house. Sometimes he can be trusted to be out but usually he tries to chew something up. I've gotten him some bones and antlers to try to fix that problem. He also get crated when we have company occasionally or when mama is too sick to be out of bed. He has toys in there and doesn't mind at all. Also, we had a crate from a previous dog so we use it for Henry. It's way too big for him, but it makes me feel better when he has to be in it.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yes and No. Blue's crate is his safe place, but if we lock the door, he panics.
    So yeah, he's kinda crate trained as in he knows to go in it when we want him to (and if he feels like listening), but we
    can't close it.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yes... that is Banks' 'safty-safe' she LOVES her crate, the door is off of it and she spends a lot of time in there in the early morning or right before bed. She knows when she is in the crate, we will not bother her at all. She also does not mess in there ever.

Cheli - our Frenchie, opposite story! He does not like it at all, he knows when he is going in and will try to avoid it at all costs, We sometimes have to pick him up because he will not willingly walk in.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

My boys are crate trained so that they will go in when asked, but they only have to stay in their crates in dog shows or occasionally if we are visiting friends. They are not in their crates when we're away from home or at night.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Yes, our guys are crate trained. They were crate trained by the breeder, so were already used to being in a crate before we brought them home. When they were puppies, we had a double crate that they shared, but as they got older, we realized how different their personalities were. Bulldozer is our very laid back lazy guy, ( that's why we call him Dozey) lol
    He is happiest to sleep and cuddle, he doesn't like to walk, and will play for about 20 mins, and then be tired out and sleep for hours. Blossom has so much energy, she will walk for hours, and she is in play mode all the time. She will snuggle too, but it's on her terms, and mostly in the evening, and after she tuckered herself out with play. She wouldn't let Dozer sleep in the double crate, she would bite on his ears, jump on him and wanted to play, so we bought two separate crates, and they are side by side, but they have their own spaces. It's funny to watch them when they are sleeping because they always seem to sleep in the same position, same direction or same spot as each other. They sleep,in their crates at night, and are only in the crates during the day if we go out, and can't take them with us. We usually take them with us most places, but when we can't, it's safer for them to be crated as they eat and chew things.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Yes absolutely! Bentley actually loves being in his crate at night, it's the only way he will go to sleep! All we have to say is come on BB lets go get in your house and he's there before we turn around! He goes in every night around 11 and out at 6:45 every morning unless it's weekends! He's only 9 months so we prefer to crate him basically for his own safety. We don't allow any kind of toys in there with him being that EBD can normally chew through almost anything, and he will lol other than that he's out for most of the day unless we have somewhere to go that he can't come! I honestly believe crate training is important for them just for the simple fact of emergency type situations and possibly having to board them at some point in their life, it will help lower the stress levels and also piece of mind for yourself knowing that they are okay having to stay in a crate!

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Yes is crate trained too. She also loves her crate! She only gets the best treats when she is inside her cave

Lately I let her stay uncrated during the day but if I maintenance people coming over my apartment then I crate her for the day.

Also been noticing a lot of hair in my sofa.... maybe its time to get her back to her crate! She is making herself very comfortable when I am not there!

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

No, not crate trained. I realise that there are different views on this among dog owners, but to me locking the dog up in a cage goes against my idea of having an indoor family dog. Furthermore, in Sweden, it's against the law to keep dogs in crates with doors, unless it's for transport or at shows.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Nope Bifi sleeps with us and has The run of The house when we are gone.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
    Likes (Received)

Yes, they are. I had not planned to originally, but Hank came with an enormous crate. His behavior issues were a safety concern when we couldn't be home so I reluctantly put him in it. Mine eat in their crates as it keeps them from disputing whose bowl is whose. Miss Lulu seems to prefer to sleep in a crate and Ta-hank has health issues that require us to limit his ability to roam unattended.

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs W.C.
    Likes (Received)

Yes, Chubbs is crate trained. He sleeps in there for naps & bedtime. He's in there when we leave for the day... for his safety, the cats' & our personal items. I work PT thus home more so he's not 'locked up' all day, only a few hours. Also, we put him in there to calm him down, it's his safe place.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

My dogs all sleep in their crates at night. One has to be crated if I go somewhere, because she started chewing the beds! She is young and hopefully will out grow it-or not!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads