Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

Currently we are feeding Harlea The Honest Kitchen Preference Base mix with vegetable proteins added and she is doing fantastic even though she has only been on it a few weeks.

Before THS we were feeding Fromms and she did good on Pork and Peas but was sensitive to Game Bird and Salmon and outright allergic to the Lamb and Lentil.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tia
    Likes (Received)

I notice a LOT of people here feed Fromm, and very few people feed chicken.

Do bullys tend to be allergic to chicken? I believe my Tia is, she is eating Acana Pacifica right now. I wish we had Fromm here, the only place that sells it in my province is 3.5 hours away.

I am not sure how she is doing on the Acana Pacifica however, because she keeps sneaking upstairs and eating the cat food, so she is a big itchy, pink mess.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsBull View Post
    I notice a LOT of people here feed Fromm, and very few people feed chicken.

Do bullys tend to be allergic to chicken? I believe my Tia is, she is eating Acana Pacifica right now. I wish we had Fromm here, the only place that sells it in my province is 3.5 hours away.

I am not sure how she is doing on the Acana Pacifica however, because she keeps sneaking upstairs and eating the cat food, so she is a big itchy, pink mess.
    I think with Bulldogs that is one of the most common allergies, chicken.

Real Name
    Carrie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Fromm lamb and lentil

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sassy
    Likes (Received)

Sassy is 4 months old, when I got her from the breeder, they fed her a cheap dog food from Tractor Supply. I researched, and decided to try her on Blue Buffalo puppy food, BIG mistake, she had massive diarrhea from Blue Buffalo. I then scoured the internet and found the EBN website. SOOO many people here feed FROMM, so I decided to try it. Currently I feed Sassy the Classic Fromm adult food. But am thinking of switching to something different in the Fromm family, because I have noticed her scratching a lot, and the shedding is awful. I also currently give her salmon oil as a supplement. I can't tell a difference in her shedding and coat and she's been on the salmon oil for approx 2 weeks. I also believe I'm going to try her on the NuVet vitamins also.

Any advice is welcomed! I have never owned an EB, so this is a brand new experience to me!

Our boys eat Nature's salmon, pumpkin and sweet Potatoe (grain free). Trigger has a shiny, silky, barely shedding coat. No tear stains, or itching etc. Winston has only been with us a couple of weeks , but his fur is softer, his red chin is now a nice normal skin tone (could be meds he is on too, but so far so good)

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

I am going thro a food transition so hopefully it ll be painless. Nothing ever is though

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Castor is eating raw. During his first year, we tested several brands of kibble (Acana, Orijen, James Wellbeloved, Royal Canine Bulldog...) but nothing really worked for long. He seemed hungry all the time but as his stools were loose we couldn't up his portions. Transitioning to raw made a big change. After first testing a commercial brand of frozen raw with beef and some grains, we then switched to a grainfree commercial frozen raw. Currently he's on a combination of pork, chicken and lamb.

Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

My girls are 7.5 and 11.5 and I fed my oldest science diet chicken and rice for 4 years! Gasp....I know. I was a new dog mom and thought that what the vet recommended was gold. Around the time we got our second pup I started thinking about foods and researching a little. I made the switch to Merrick Turducken and then another formula with Buffalo. Once I made the switch off of poultry based foods I had an Aha moment - my oldest was allergic to chicken. It wasn't environmental allergies causing the countless ear infections, it was the chicken. I also noticed that my youngest started having runny soft serve poo and when I started researching foods I discovered Merrick had changed an ingredient. I was a bit annoyed that they didn't make the change obvious to consumers. Around that time Merrick was partnering w/Castor and Pollux and started to change all of their formulas so I made the switch to grain free Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast and rotated with Victor Grain Free Yukon River. Both of my girls became very lean on the grain free formulas and we had to feed them more. My youngest started to have normal poo so I am guessing she was sensitive to grain and not the oil that Merrick was using. We stopped using Earthborn b/c my oldest had environmental and food allergy testing done which showed she was allergic to lots of proteins she was eating - I don't hold much stock in those results but I have avoided those ingredients as a precaution. My oldest has been through a lot this past year with a horrible MRSP infection and an autoimmune skin disease. I am wondering if processed kibble could be causing her hypersensitivity reaction. We've almost ruled out the other causes for her disease so today I started her on a commercial raw formula by Answers. I'm crossing my fingers that this will help her. So until we know 1 is on Victor grain free kibble and the other on commercial raw. There is never a dull moment as bulldog parent.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

Real Name
    Judi
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubs
    Likes (Received)

Tubs has been fed Fromm's lamb and lentils. he started out on royal canin or bullies didnt do well at all lots of very runny poops, red about Fromms and switched. all the difference in the world. he also get 1 tsp of coconut oil daily along with a multi vitiamin, brewers yeast and melatonin. He has seasonal flank alopecia last winter and with the addition of the supplements his coat grew back so hoping it doesnt re occur this coming winter. my cat is also on fromms dry cat food and he loves it

- - - Updated - - -

Tubs has been fed Fromm's lamb and lentils. he started out on royal canin or bullies didnt do well at all lots of very runny poops, red about Fromms and switched. all the difference in the world. he also get 1 tsp of coconut oil daily along with a multi vitiamin, brewers yeast and melatonin. He has seasonal flank alopecia last winter and with the addition of the supplements his coat grew back so hoping it doesnt re occur this coming winter. my cat is also on fromms dry cat food and he loves it

Real Name
    Judi
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubs
    Likes (Received)

there are web sites that sell fromms on line and it isnt any more expensive than what i pay in the store

Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)

I feed Mack Royal Canin Bulldog Formula. He eats it up twice a day. The previous owner fed him something from a farm and ranch supply. In four weeks I cleared his skin up and his coat is perfect now. No flatulence either.......bonus!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Remove Ads