Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

We used to feed Iams. I was under the impression that it was the best dog food, which it was back in the 1990's before it and Science Diet were purchased by P&G.

I had nothing but problems with my bulldog Sarah, and the vet put her on science diet rabbit which didn't help at all. The more I bathed her the worse she got, she was so full of yeast.

I met Linda in Oregon and she would go on and on about dog food. I pretty much ignored her awesome advice. After all, my Vet said that science diet and Iams were good foods, why would I believe her?

Fast forward several years, I started this forum. When the question came up about what do you feed your dog so many people were talking about brands I had never heard of. At the time my Molly was battling a horrible skin infection. After several weeks of antibiotics and special shampoos, she did not improve at all.

One day I was in town and decided to go check out the dog foods at Petsmart. So many different choices- I was literally overwhelmed! I found a bag of Avoderm on a clearance shelf for 50% off, it was a very expensive food so I thought okay.... I'll try it. It was only about $20 for this big bag, which was actually close to the price of the big bag of Iams so I felt it was worth trying to see what all the fuss was about!

The results were amazing. Within a day I stopped giving her antihistamine, she stopped itching completely. She was only being transitioned and just replacing a portion of the food made an amazing impact!

By the time she was fully transitioned her tear stains were gone, no more yeasty paws, no more paw licking- she was a brand new bully!

That started my obsession with dog foods. I read everything I could, and started researching different foods. I started trails of different brands, and we started the dog food ratings here on the site. Eventually I tried Fromm at the recommendation of a member here. During my research I was calling different manufactures to find out more about their foods. When I spoke with Fromm I realized this was a company who put all their money into the food and research and not into advertising. They were a smaller family owned company who really seemed as obsessed with dog food as I was. Eventually I got to know them and they started the monthly contests for us on EBN.

During our trials we tried a lot of good foods, and bad ones too! Even tried royal canin for bulldogs-- my house was so full of gas I didn't dare light the gas stove! I had to laugh at that because on the bag it stated that it reduced flatulence in bulldogs--- which I found was the worst I had ever seen!

One other good one I tried was Natures Logic.

Eventually I always went back to Fromm. They just do really well on this food. I would still like to try Acana, Orijen, and a few others, but I don't want to fix what isn't broken.

My pack still does great on the beef Fritatta. We are currently feeding beef Fritatta for breakfast and Lamb & Lentil for dinner. They are thriving on it.

Sorry for the long post, but that's my dog food story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bullmama; 09-04-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

2. Likes DAmbra liked this post
    Real Name
    Elizabeth
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King George
    Likes (Received)

George is on Orijin Six Fish & it is AWESOME. He has allergies and this is the best stuff we have found for him. He also takes coconut oil every day. I may be a little biased, but his coat is gorgeous. I attribute that to his food and the coconut oil. He started on Orijin puppy formula and has moved to the six fish. It is grain free and high in protein. I love everything about this food, but the smell . George doesn't seem to mind that, though!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

Charley was on Blue Buffalo fish for maybe 4 years. Bowels were becoming more loose and he started getting yeasty ears plus he really didn't like it. I switched him to Acana lamb and the Acana duck. He loves them both. We also give him coconut oil and yogurt twice daily. Bowel issues resolved, yeasty ears have not. He still has shedding problems too but not as bad. Not sure what to do now. These two formulas have been re-formulated and are not yet available in WA state. I just bought the last bag of Acana duck in our town! I have about 6 weeks to figure this out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Andrew
    Country
    Holland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leon Van T' Houkje
    Likes (Received)

Taste of the wild pacific stream....found out he is sensitive to grain and chicken but since he's been on this food he's done great

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member HTX Bully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Holly
    Likes (Received)

Hollys currently eating Natures Logic Rabbit. On NL's website they claim they make their suppliers guarantee that their proteins do not come from China which I like. Holly is going great on this kibble, she sheds a little too much for my taste so we are still searching for that perfect kibble for her . If anyone is thinking of trying Natures Logic, I would definitely recommend.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Currently Orijen and nature harvest wet -and having a year long battle when it comes to Lilly eating her food
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Real Name
    Rodney
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson
    Likes (Received)

Blue wilderness grain free

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I think I have posted my story a couple times in different threads but I supposed I can add it here too.

When we brought Goob home from the breeder, she sent us with a bag of Eukanuba Puppy Food. Since that was the food he came with, that is the food we kept him on for about 2 and a half years. However, when Goob was about 2 and a half, he started to refuse his food. I didn't think much of it. I began to hand feed him and add some cheese, chicken, or turkey bacon to his dish to try and encourage him to eat alone. As the months went by, he got to the point where I had to lift his lips up and stick the kibble in his mouth. He would SPIT IT OUT and I would repeat the process until he finally finished the bowl. Some days, I would just "tough love" him and put the bowl in his dish and leave for work. Without a doubt, the food was still there when I got home and he had diarrhea due to his empty stomach. It was then chicken and rice for dinner.

While I'm writing this, it seems so obvious that he didn't like his food but at the time, I had NO CLUE. About the time that I was losing my patience with his eating habits, I found this website. I read EVERY food related thread and did A LOT of research online. I decided that I didn't have anything to lose. Price wasn't an object. My husband and I don't have any kids and live a pretty simple life. Goob is our baby and he gets what he needs. He NEEDED a food that he would eat. So, I developed a plan.

We were going to do food experiments for the next several months. I went to Petco with a list of brands to try first. It was between AvoDerm, Natures Logic, Canidae and Merrick. After gleaning so much bulldog health info from this sight, I knew we were going to go grain free and no chicken (even though he had no allergies). I spent an hour reading the bags side by side and decided to go with Merrick Grain Free Texas Beef.

The transition began. I couldn't believe it but Goob was eating his food DRY WITH NO TREATS in it!!! He ate so fast and was licking the bowl clean!!! I couldn't believe it. I was in awe at the difference. Instead of running away from me when it was meal time, he was following me around, twirling, and drooling in anticipation of me putting his bowl down. I was sold. I couldn't believe how oblivious I was to the fact that he HATED his old food.

It has been about 4 months since we have been on Merrick and he still dances and jumps around at meal time. I add a small spoonful of Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt now as well. Even when the kibble is dry, he will inhale it.

It sounds funny to non-bulldog owners but I am so relieved that we found a healthy, safe, and tasty food for Goob. Whenever he didn't eat and I left him alone for work, I was so worried about him. I can't say that I've notice a difference in his coat, behavior, or yeast problems (he never had any) but this food has been a real blessing for us. All because of finding great info here!!!!!!!

-2014-08-30-16-31-20-jpg

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Fromm for Orion
    and
    Dog Lover's Gold for Vegas. We tried to switch Vegas but he has a very very sensitive tummy. We were half way thru the switch the first time when he got really bad poopies and the second time he got a yeast icky on his nose.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)

I'm trying to find the right food for my pups. They were on Wellness CORE Grain Free Puppy Formula when Dozer got a UTI and the Vet. said the protein was to high and was most likely the cause. We are going though all the four star flavors of Fromm right now. The P&P and Beef Frittata Veg did not work out as there face turns very pink and Dozer is getting blood shot eyes right after eating. L&L and Salmon Tunalini have been better but they still get the pink face. Will keep feeding Fromm for a few more weeks but if they keep getting the same reaction I will most likely try TOW next.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Daisy is on Earthborn Holistic grain free. We tried Nutro and Rachael ray grain free. and we also tried the Kirkland brand. The last three had Daisys belly breaking out and her tear stains were horrible. She does wonderful on Earthborn.

13. Likes Rgarnett liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ftse is currently on Advantax seafood along with home cooked lamb, vegs and pasta I am not 100% happy at all as I am still having issues but no yeast at least we have tried so many different kibbles this year its ridiculous just wished we could get Fromm here in Australia

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Remove Ads