Thread: Reaction to ACV

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Default Reaction to ACV

Hi all,

I've read a lot about the benefits of giving your dog a tablespoon of ACV to their food or water and thought I would give it a try. I added just over a teaspoon to his food, thinking of starting him slow to get used to the taste. He ate everything fine but 2 hours after eating I noticed he was really bloated, way more than he ever has been, and his muzzle was pink. I watched for signs of GDV and none were present and after giving him a gas-ex it slowly started to go down. Since the ACV is the only new item added to the food I'm thinking he had an allergic reaction of some kind or I did it wrong. If you add the ACV to their food, do you have to dilute it first with equal parts water? Not sure what happened but it freaked me out.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reaction to ACV

Hi, it's quite possible he could be allergic to the ACV or an ingredient in it, especially since he showed the symptoms after he had some, and this was the only new thing in his diet. Every Bully is different in what they tolerate and how sensitive they are. I know there are other members who have Bullies that are allergic to ACV. I would stop giving him the ACV and keep an eye on him to see if he improves, you could also give him a Benedryl if his symptoms don't subside. Please keep us Posted on how he's doing.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

We have to watch how much to give our Wheezie, she gets sick and throws up if she has to much.We rinse them after baths with ACV and water.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christie H View Post
    We have to watch how much to give our Wheezie, she gets sick and throws up if she has to much.We rinse them after baths with ACV and water.
    Hi Christie, I was just going to tell you that you can use plain white vinegar and warm water for rinsing Wheezie after a bath. ACV is for adding to the kibble or the water for the health benefits, you don't need this for the skin and fur.
    ACV is expensive for this use, but you can buy a big jug of white vinegar for less than $2.00, and you can use this for rinsing after her bath.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, it's quite possible he could be allergic to the ACV or an ingredient in it, especially since he showed the symptoms after he had some, and this was the only new thing in his diet. Every Bully is different in what they tolerate and how sensitive they are. I know there are other members who have Bullies that are allergic to ACV. I would stop giving him the ACV and keep an eye on him to see if he improves, you could also give him a Benedryl if his symptoms don't subside. Please keep us Posted on how he's doing.
    agreed!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Christie, I was just going to tell you that you can use plain white vinegar and warm water for rinsing Wheezie after a bath. ACV is for adding to the kibble or the water for the health benefits, you don't need this for the skin and fur.
    ACV is expensive for this use, but you can buy a big jug of white vinegar for less than $2.00, and you can use this for rinsing after her bath.
    Lol..that does make perfect sense.Good grief I'm losing it.Thank you for guiding me along when my brain leaves me

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

Hnmmm my brain is not quite there then, why the vinegar post-bath?

Not that I've bathed Winslow anytime recently just wondering!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

He came through it fine. Slept on my foot the whole time as I watched and willed him to fart or something so the bloating would go down. Luckily nothing happened as i would have felt so bad and i just learned to embrace my neurotic bully mom ways a little more. Thankfully he tolerates them well.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jenzaar View Post
    Hnmmm my brain is not quite there then, why the vinegar post-bath?

Not that I've bathed Winslow anytime recently just wondering!
    You can use equal parts warm water and white vinegar as a final rinse after shampooing and rinsing off the shampoo. it is very good for the skin and fur, and it keeps them smelling nice longer in between their baths. My hubby suffers from Psoriasis in his scalp sometimes, and rinsing his scalp with warm water and vinegar gets rid of the flakes.

11. Likes jenzaar liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

@Vikinggirl got it! Thanks!

Remove Ads