Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Henry View Post
Thanks for your advise. I do not have a dog yet but I am adopting a puppy in the spring. I'm trying to research and be as prepared as possible before I get one. All this food stuff is so confusing. I didn't realize that rice or chicken meal was bad. Do you have a suggestion of a food that has more "band for my buck"? I know a lot people here feed Fromms but It seems so expensive. How much per serving does an adult bulldog eat on Fromm's?
Quote Originally Posted by mavsfan4life View Post
I can only speak from my experience with Royal Canin. When I was feeding Mayhem this brand, his poops were very soft and he went at least 5-6 times a day. After making the switch to Fromm's, his poops are firm and he normally only poops twice a day.

To answer your question about quantity, with Fromm's I only feed him 1 cup, 2 times a day, for a total of 2 cups.
Yep same here. Rice or chicken isn't necessarily bad, but chicken is considered a "hot" protein (as well as the cheapest) which means many dog breeds are allergic to it. Rice is a filler and is just calories. Rice as one ingredient is fine, or further down the list in weight, but rice as 3 ingredients says it's mostly rice.

A bag of RC is about $50-$60, Fromm Chicken a la veg is about the same price, maybe a little more. It also has rice, but not until the 7th/8th ingredient.... first two ingredients are Chicken/Chicken Meal. RC had rice as 2nd and 3rd ingredient which tells me MOST of the food is rice, since the order of ingredients goes listed by weight.

Also RC you would feed more per day.

With Fromm we also feed, twice a day, 3/4 cup to the adults over 3, 1 cup from age 2-3 and 1.25-1.5 cups for adolescents. Puppies we feed Fromm puppy and they get what is needed depending on age and poop consistency. Less poops, less food per feeding, doesn't make a huge difference in cost in the long run.

If you are looking for a GREAT food, with lower cost, I would recommend Nature's Logic.