Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still Having Problems with Vegas

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Still Having Problems with Vegas

Does he by chance like ice? My boys think ice is a snack so you could give him a pile of crushed ice maybe here and there and he wont know he is hungry maybe. Just a thought. Yes I think 2 cups a day would be good for him also. Too many carrots also can give a loose stool. I give my boys a handful of baby carrots a day and that works out for them just fine but when my friend comes and stays with them when we leave out of town, he gets loose stools cuz she gives more carrots than we normally do. If nothing else and he doesnt like ice then maybe the 2 cups and just a little bit of carrots throughout the day. (cooked will absorb into his body rather than pass thru also) If you cut it back at least that much then you will be able to see a diff I am sure and then will be able to figure out what you need to do from there.

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member laurentourville's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren Tourville
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Horse
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I would def try to return the food for the salmon too, eventhough you don't have the receipt. It's always worth a try, if the store won't do it, contact the food company. You'd be amazed and what stores and companies will do to keep their customers!
    the bond between a child and their dog is beyond words...

Potty Trainer Ann Farley Hamilton's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I think 3 cups and all those treats are too many. Mack is 4 now he eats Nature's Variety Instinct grain-free which is what I think you are feeding Vegas. He only gets 1/2 cup in the AM with canned the same food and 1/2 cup PM with canned and that is plenty of food. He weighs 62 lbs and the vet says he's at a perfect weight and his coat everything else is great. What the store meant is if you stay in that food the instinct grain-free you can switch between rabbit, duck & turkey and the salmon which in the instinct brand they have dry, canned, raw and they make treats in all the same. I feed Mack that why so he doesn't get bored or develop allergies to anything, I started feeding this food just for that reason and no potato. He started getting tear stains on the Calif. Natural lamb and Rice I think from the chicken and being on it to long. I know where I buy my food you can return it for any reason with or without the slip there POS keeps track for them, plus the Co. itself on the bag says they'll take it back. He if eats to fast and you feel bad because you think he's still hungry slow him down by putting 1/2 in the bowl then wait 15 mins and put the other in that should help. You start by getting rid of the 3rd feeding little by little, first day take away 1/4 and then lose another 1/4 in 2 or 3 days till it's gone. I have done that with rescues I have had or fostered because some came eating 2 cups AM and 2 cups PM which was way to much for an 8 year old bully that wasn't very active. When we were finished he was on 3/4 cup AM and PM with 1/4 cup canned and he was fine and a lot healthier.

Sorry to hear about Vegas' tummy issues. I do know that some dogs have trouble going from the commercial brands to hollistic. Case in point is my Tuffy...I tried so many different hollistic foods and the only one that he had really decent poop on was Purina One Lamb and Rice! Then they had to go and change the formula so I went to a more organic food and it's like you described...went from small tootsie rolls to huge messy piles. I do know they say it can take up to 6 weeks for a dog to adjust to the new food so if you have the stanima to wait it out, it might pay off. Another option is DiaBac for dogs to firm up poop and aid in dietary changes. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads