Thread: Can anyone give recommendations on a bland diet???

Bulldog Vet in Training gatorfan85's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Default Can anyone give recommendations on a bland diet???

I spoke with a dietition who has also worked with some vets about Mr.Beefy's anal gland and tummy issues. She suggested that until it heals to put him on a raw/bland diet. Any recommendations on this? I've had to home-make Georgia's food before but it required different things since she was prego, plus she doesnt have any tummy issues. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can anyone give recommendations on a bland diet???

The only bland diet I've ever had to use is when Maggie has had an upset stomach .... it's usually white rice with a little canned dog food stirred in. I know a few people on here use hamburger meat instead of the canned food. I only use the canned food because it's usually an emergency situation and I just haven't got the time to cook up some hamburger meat. Our vet did stress to use the WHITE rice and not the brown or wild. It usually works VERY well and she loves it ... you'd think I was giving her caviar the way she gets so excited when she sees it!!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Since I usually always have white rice, hamburger, or chicken handy.... these are what I use. If I have cottage cheese I will use this too. I just boil the hamb or chicken and add it to the rice. I reserve a bit of the juice from boiling to add to it, but I don't use cheap fatty hamburger either. So if your hamb has a lot of fat I would NOT do the juice.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Yeah thats what I did as well, white rice and boiled chicken.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    The only bland diet I've ever had to use is when Maggie has had an upset stomach .... it's usually white rice with a little canned dog food stirred in. I know a few people on here use hamburger meat instead of the canned food. I only use the canned food because it's usually an emergency situation and I just haven't got the time to cook up some hamburger meat. Our vet did stress to use the WHITE rice and not the brown or wild. It usually works VERY well and she loves it ... you'd think I was giving her caviar the way she gets so excited when she sees it!!!
    why not brown rice? Interesting. I only use brown so that is what I have given my boys when their tummy is upset, never knew I shouldnt.
    Like desertsky said I boil the chicken and keep that juice for the rice mixture. The boys LOVE it when they are sick. haha.

Bulldog Vet in Training gatorfan85's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

See I would have done it wrong lol. I was going to do the brown rice since thats what I use when I cook their meals. Thanks for the advice i'll go get some white rice and i'll let u guys know if he improves..THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I've always been told white rice and boiled chicken. Hamburger tends to be too fatty...Chicken I've been told is blander. Brown rice has a higher fiber content, which may cause them to experience abdominal discomfort or bloating. Because of its lower fiber content, white rice is less abrasive to their intestinal lining than brown rice. Most generally they can digest white rice without any discomfort, while brown rice causes pain and gas production.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The bland diet I do is boiled chicken breast, white rice and cottage cheese.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Remove Ads