Bulldog Stories and Poetry

Sticky threads
Do Animals Have Souls? by Stacy Mantle I was talking with a coworker the other day and he informed me that animals do not have emotions. This is just after he told me (the day that I put my dog of 17yrs down) that animals do not have souls and therefore will never enjoy the concept of heaven. Now, this coworker has the disadvantage of being, what I refer to, as a "bible-thumper." He is, in fact, a born-again Christian. Please bear in mind that I have nothing against Christians, nor do I have anything against religion in general. I do, however, have a problem with this coworker passing along faulty information. Animals do have emotions and they also have souls, and I'll tell you how I know that. In over twenty years of working with...
Hank is one of many bulldogs who are rescued and rehomed every year by English Bulldog Rescues. "RESCUE POEM" by Arlene Pace September 18, 1998 Once I was a lonely dog, Just looking for a home. I had no place to go, No one to call my own. I wandered up and down the streets, in rain in heat and snow. I ate what ever I could find, I was always on the go. My skin would itch, my feet were sore, My body ached with pain. And no one stopped to give a pat Or a gently say my name. I never saw a loving glance, I was always on the run. For people thought that hurting me was really lots of fun. And then one day I heard a voice So gentle, kind and sweet, And arms so soft reached down to me And took me off my feet. No one again will hurt...
Ten Commandments of a responsible pet owner 1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful. 2. Give me time to understand what you want of me. 3. Place your trust in me ā€“ it is crucial for my well-being 4. Donā€™t be angry with me for long, and donā€™t lock me up for my punishment. You have your work, your friends, and your entertainment. I have only you! 5. Talk to me. Even if I donā€™t understand your words, I understand your voice when itā€™s speaking to me. 6. Be aware that however you treat me, Iā€™ll NEVER forget it. 7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you. 8. Before you scold me for being lazy or...
ROOM IN YOUR HEART Sorrow fills a barren space; you close your eyes and see my face and think of times I made you laugh, the love we shared, the bond we had, the special way I needed you - the friendship shared by just we two. The day's too quiet, the world seems older, the wind blows now a little colder. You gaze into the empty air and look for me, but I'm not there - I'm in heaven and I watch you, and I see the world around you too. I see little souls wearing fur, souls who bark and souls who purr born unwanted and unloved - I see all this and more above - I watch them suffer, I see them cry, I see them lost, I watch them die. I see unwanted thousands born - and when they die, nobody mourns. These little souls...
How the Bulldog Got It's Face When the good Lord gave out faces to the dogs long, long ago... He found when he had issued them there was still one dog to go. "Where's this dogs face?" he called aloud, "I know I must have made it." There must be someone hereabouts who's clumsily mislaid it A shy young Angel then stepped up, "Forgive me Lord," he said, He stuttered and he stammered and turned a little red, "I never thought it was a face, it fell out of your bag, I thought you had discarded it and it was just a piece of rag. So, I promptly went and used it for so very many things Like polishing up the halos and waxing up the wings. It's creased and crumpled as you see, in truth it's a disgrace, I don't know how my dearest Lord you...
I have always wanted a bulldog, being divorced 14 years and raising two boys I knew I could not afford one much less the expense of vet care. My boys are grown and on their own, and I remarried a year and a half ago, when my husband Joe ask me what I wanted for a wedding present..you got it...AN ENGLISH BULLDOG!! We got married in Sept. and I immediately started looking at breeders in our area, we rented so I knew adoption was out of the question since we also did not have a fenced in back yard. One day while doing a search I logged on to Craigslist to do my normal snooping around, and low and behold there was an EB for rehoming!! I immediately contacted the seller and we talked over the phone, he was a young professional who was...
Buster's story or saga began May 27, 2007. Five year old Buster and his owner were riding a motorcycle west on Highway 7 towards Sumpter, Oregon. As they rounded a curve about 21 miles from Baker City, Oregon the rear tire blew out. The cycle skidded onto its side. Buster's owner was thrown onto the pavement and knocked unconscious. Somehow Buster managed to wriggle out of his harness and when his owner came to, Buster was gone. Buster's owner spent the next 5 days searching the Sumpter Valley for him. No luck. Eventually he had to return to Seattle without Buster. Then on June 7, 11 days after Buster had gone missing, he was found by a couple who live near Sumpter. Buster was somewhat malnourished having lost 10 lbs. but otherwise...
We got Bella the end of October 2010 at "8 weeks". She seemed small then, but we loved her. (health cert birth date 9/12) From day one she had diarrhea. The breeder said from food changes, it will end soon, the vet treated her for worms. Still no response, 2 weeks later, still constant diarrhea, from runny to soft serve. The breeder came over to give me the AKC papers (birthdate 8/23) and she was active, just diarrhea, he again gave me some dewormer and said she would be fine. Go forward a month, Bella is growing taller, but not wider. More and more people are commenting on her being thin. New vet eval and shots, Bella is 3 months old and just a little over 6 lbs...yes thin. Dr Turman gave her wet food to mix with kibble and see if she...
One of my hobbies is playing ice hockey. I'm not very good but I enjoy it and play a couple times a week if I can, but at least once a weekend with my hockey team the Hot Shots. My second season playing, in my first game, some goon came out of no where and knocked me down. I broke my ankle and tore three ligaments and holy cow, did it hurt! I hated being hurt and I hated being on crutches but I was SO surprised at how attentive Linus was when I came home. This was a couple years ago so he was still pretty young and playing constantly but he stopped what he was doing to take care of his momma. Here were are on the couch when I got home: I was only out of commission for a month before I got back out on the ice. I credit the healing...