Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rescue Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    I understand them wanting the bullies to go to good homes but they have to lighten up their restrictions a bit. Some are too judgmental when it comes to home visits.

and unfortunately in the process, they are discouraging the same very good people, who are committed to giving the animals a good home and these people resort to buying from petstores. Aren't we attempting to indoctrinate people from not doing that yet the adoption system is driving them to do just that.
    Hug your bully today

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

There's someone in this area that has 16, or is it 18 bulldogs? living with her. Many from a rescue. Kinda weird that they allow that but nitpick about other things.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

I'd have to assume each rescue is run differently, right? I had a great experience with the So Cal Bulldog Rescue. In fact, I'm planning to adopt again. I hope it goes as smooth as the first time.

4. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama, cali baker liked this post
    Real Name
    Olivia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Belle
    Likes (Received)

I completely agree with this. We tried hard to rescue a bulldog but we were rejected by all three rescues that we looked at. The first one automatically turned us away because we have two kids under the age of 10. I know some dogs don't like kids, but they even admitted that they had some that loved kids. It was just their policy to not adopt to families with kids. The second rescue let us get further in the process but wanted to see all sorts of financial info. It got really weird and intrusive so we declined to continue. I know people need to be financially prepared, but some of the info they wanted was extremely personal. The last rescue wouldn't even talk to us because our yard isn't fenced in. We have a fenced in dog park down the street and told them we would always walk our dog on leash but that didn't matter. Our yard is huge and backs up to thousands of acres of forest....no way we would ever fence that in and cut off that view. UGH. I wish we could have rescued but it just couldn't work out...very frustrating.
    "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.
    ― Charles de Gaulle

6. Likes bullmama liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Rescue Rant

Quote Originally Posted by mzza111 View Post
    I'd have to assume each rescue is run differently, right? I had a great experience with the So Cal Bulldog Rescue. In fact, I'm planning to adopt again. I hope it goes as smooth as the first time.
    Socal is awesome! Congrats!

Yes each rescue has their own adoption policies, some seem ridiculous, but I try not to get upset hearing about some of them-- because I figure some jerk must have made a problem in the past to where they had to put a policy in place.... Those are the people who ruin it for everyone. It's hard to run any organization and many times you have to create rules and policies you don't want to have to make, but your hand is forced because people take advantage of your kindness.

Sigh.....its so frustrating too because there are soooo many great people who want to adopt and can't because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rowdy
    Likes (Received)

If it helps, I lost my mastiff on a Monday in the middle of the night. I was devastated and needed to fill the emptiness... I contacted SoCal Bulldog Rescue. My home visit was that Friday, and I had adopted my boy Rowdy on Saturday. It was well organized and efficient. The gals Tami and Jennifer worked together despite my living 2 hours away from the foster mom to get me my boy. Welcome to Southern California Bulldog Rescue - Southern California Bulldog Rescue

10. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    Socal is awesome! Congrats!

Yes each rescue has their own adoption policies, some seem ridiculous, but I try not to get upset hearing about some of them-- because I figure some jerk must have made a problem in the past to where they had to put a policy in place.... Those are the people who ruin it for everyone. It's hard to run any organization and many times you have to create rules and policies you don't want to have to make, but your hand is forced because people take advantage of your kindness.

Sigh.....its so frustrating too because there are soooo many great people who want to adopt and can't because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We had good luck with Detroit Bulldog Rescue, which now covers the entire state of Michigan. We had fallen in love with Mabel online and were upset when weeks went by before someone acknowledged our application. I played the squeaky wheel and kept on them, knowing very well that it is run by volunteers. When I didn't hear from them after a few weeks, I gave up and talked with a breeder/friend of Frenchies in Louisiana who was planning a spring litter and said she'd sell one to me. This was on a Saturday. The very next day, I heard from Detroit Bulldog Rescue. While it broke my heart to let the puppy go (she said she'd have more litters and that Mabel needed us more), they were willing to consider us on the other side of the state. We considered going ahead with the puppy, but Mabel is a bit of a diva and doesn't like other dogs. We were fortunate that we could photograph our house and yard and submit those, since there was no one on this side of the state that was available to do a home visit.

Not all rescues are difficult, but I think the volunteers from each have their own ideal owners in mind. Some may let their opinions and prejudices get in the way of the best interests of the dogs, which is unfortunate. Detroit Bulldog Rescue said I needed a fenced yard, so I showed them my tiny postage-stamp sized yard. What's funny, is that Mabel hates to walk on grass, so a big fenced yard would be useless for her (plus she's easy to catch! LOL).

On the other hand, my daughter works with Dallas Pets Alive, which takes dogs from "death row" in the shelters and rehabs and re-homes them. Unfortunately she's seen too many dogs returned because they weren't exactly the dog the family wanted (sometimes after only a few hours). The trauma for the dogs being moved from home to home is heartbreaking. While I'm saddened by what some of you have experienced, when you hear about these adoption failures, it makes you understand why rescues can be overly cautious.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

12. Likes harveyspecter, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads