Help Needed! You should see what my EB did to his front Paw ! HELP !

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My EB, Maximus, has been licking his front paws. Today I looked at his front (L) Paw and was shocked at what I saw. The paw was swollen, had been bleeding and just looked horrible. There was dried blood on the paw, and initially just looked like a bad Hot Spot. In any event, I had to clean the paw with Hydrogen Peroxide to see what was there. It was just a mess.

Does anyone know what I can apply to his Paw to help it to heal ? I tried Vetericyn Hot Spot spray, but it did not
do anything.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My EB, Maximus, has been licking his front paws. Today I looked at his front (L) Paw and was shocked at what I saw. The paw was swollen, had been bleeding and just looked horrible. There was dried blood on the paw, and initially just looked like a bad Hot Spot. In any event, I had to clean the paw with Hydrogen Peroxide to see what was there. It was just a mess.

Does anyone know what I can apply to his Paw to help it to heal ? I tried Vetericyn Hot Spot spray, but it did not
do anything.

A year ago Nyala had also a paw issue. She was limping time to time. She's so dark it's hard to see ANYthing on her. Had to use a led light and deep inside her was was some white flakes n very red. I used her tail pocket mix and took 2 days it disappeared. Also great for ears infections.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae 5-10 drops Tea Tree (For ears do NOT put into the inner ear/canal) add all to 2oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil. Shake well and there you go. I swear by it cause it saves Nyala from a tail amputation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

do anything.

Hey Patrick.... Helene's mix will fix it up in no time... you can continue with the peroxide or use an antiseptic cleanser... something with chlorhexidine in it. If there are open wounds... use a little neosporian to help heal it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You can also soak his paws in a dilute tea coloured betadine mixture for 5 minutes a day for a couple of weeks. I would also put neosporin on afterwards while they are really bad and maybe put socks on his paws for a couple of days so he won't lick them, or an e-collar. He must have bad allergies- either food or environmental or both. You can give him cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound once daily as an antihistamine. Which food is he on? You might need to switch him to a less allergenic food.
Also start him on some anti inflammatory products like a mixture of coconut oil, turmeric and freshly ground pepper in his food.
Also start him on some salmon oil such as Grizzly, or a can of sardines once or twice a week like I do.
Probably wouldn't hurt to give him some doggie probiotic for a few weeks like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, or if you can't get those, then kefir, green tripe or sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
A year ago Nyala had also a paw issue. She was limping time to time. She's so dark it's hard to see ANYthing on her. Had to use a led light and deep inside her was was some white flakes n very red. I used her tail pocket mix and took 2 days it disappeared. Also great for ears infections.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae 10 drops Tea Tree. (For ears do NOT put into the inner ear/canal) add all to 2oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil. Shake well and there you go. I swear by it cause it saves Nyala from a tail amputation.

You added tea tree oil now? Original mixture didn't have it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You added tea tree oil now? Original mixture didn't have it.

Ive mentioned it in a few posts that ive added tea tree. Been a few months now and I find she can last longer. I use to do it every 2-3days now I can do it 3-4 day. But that depends on the weather, 4 can be stretching it. When she plays outside in the snow, her pocket stays wet easily. Summer is very dry here not like the other provinces. Ive also noticed since ive added Tea Tree she rarely sits on her buttock and do the "licking air dance." Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have said that. Watch her dance lolll

I also modified the drops in my post as Tea Tree is a powerful oil. You can use less like 5 drops.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Ive mentioned it in a few posts that ive added tea tree. Been a few months now and I find she can last longer. I use to do it every 2-3days now I can do it 3-4 day. But that depends on the weather, 4 can be stretching it. When she plays outside in the snow, her pocket stays wet easily. Summer is very dry here not like the other provinces. Ive also noticed since ive added Tea Tree she rarely sits on her buttock and do the "licking air dance." Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have said that. Watch her dance lolll

I also modified the drops in my post as Tea Tree is a powerful oil. You can use less like 5 drops.

If adding the tea tree oil ( or oil of cinnamon, citrus, pennyroyal, peppermint, pine, sweet birch, wintergreen, and ylang ylang which also can be toxic ) I would not take a chance using it on open wounds or anywhere dog can lick it off, so would reserve it for ears and tail pockets.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
If adding the tea tree oil ( or oil of cinnamon, citrus, pennyroyal, peppermint, pine, sweet birch, wintergreen, and ylang ylang which also can be toxic ) I would not take a chance using it on open wounds or anywhere dog can lick it off, so would reserve it for ears and tail pockets.

Tea tree, peppermint, pine n others well Nyala n Duke would be dead by now. Trust me they are sure alive n kicking. You got to understand something, if someone is not use to using oils n decide to do your own mix or become a mad scientist, well yes you're playing with fire. I add once in a while one drop of peppermint oil in the pup's water or mine. We are still breathing. Ive been doing oils for years. I wouldn't suggest anything that is dangerous for any pet or humans. Also before I ever suggest anything, trust me ive already tried it way ahead of time.

Here's a study about wintergreen. Very interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18698012

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Tea tree, peppermint, pine n others well Nyala n Duke would be dead by now. Trust me they are sure alive n kicking. You got to understand something, if someone is not use to using oils n decide to do your own mix or become a mad scientist, well yes you're playing with fire. I add once in a while one drop of peppermint oil in the pup's water or mine. We are still breathing. Ive been doing oils for years. I wouldn't suggest anything that is dangerous for any pet or humans. Also before I ever suggest anything, trust me ive already tried it way ahead of time.

Here's a study about wintergreen. Very interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18698012

Natural products are not any safer than pharmaceuticals. Either one can be toxic if not used properly. eg. as little as 4-10ml of oil of wintergreen can be fatal to humans if taken internally. Large quantities of peppermint leaves are toxic for dogs to eat. Tea tree oil is only safe topically for dogs at 0.1-1% concentrations and not safe if taken internally or applied to open wounds. https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/07/26/pets-tea-tree-oil.aspx

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Natural products are not any safer than pharmaceuticals. Either one can be toxic if not used properly. eg. as little as 4-10ml of oil of wintergreen can be fatal to humans if taken internally. Large quantities of peppermint leaves are toxic for dogs to eat. Tea tree oil is only safe topically for dogs at 0.1-1% concentrations and not safe if taken internally or applied to open wounds. https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/07/26/pets-tea-tree-oil.aspx
Well if i had a choice with all the side effects pharmaceutical products out there, I'll pick EO with a heartbeat.

Sorry for hijacking the post!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.